Want more RAM but will the board support it

gasman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanna cram another gig of ram in my board but not sure if it will work any advice before i shell out for a waste of space.

Board is Gigabyte 81915P Duo, Latest bios is installed BIOS v6.00PG
Currently running vista x32 ultimate so think the max memory is 3 gigs.

2x 1gig sticks of ddr2 currently installed

Quote from motherboard manual
Dual Channel DDR/DDR II
GA-8I915P Duo supports the Dual Channel Technology. After operating the Dual Channel Technology, the
bandwidth of Memory Bus will add double.
GA-8I915P Duo includes 4 DIMM sockets, and each Channel has two DIMM sockets as following:
Channel A : DDR 1 or Channel A : DDR II 1
Channel B : DDR 2 Channel B : DDR II 2
If you want to operate the Dual Channel Technology, please note the following explanations due
to the limitation of Intel chipset specifications.
1. If one DDR/DDRII memory modules are installed: The Dual Channel Technolog cannot
operate when one DDR/DDRII memory modules are installed.
2. Two DDR/DDR II memory modules are installed (the same memory size and type): The Dual
Channel Technology will operate when two memory modules are inserted individually into
Channel A and B

Also this is in the notes
2 DDR DIMM memory slots (supports up to 2GB memory)
2 DDR II DIMM memory slots (supports up to 2GB memory)

Note:Mixed mode, populating DDR and DDR II memory modules simultaneously is not supported.

From what I can work out i cant put an extra stick of ddr1 in the free expansion slot and cant even swap out the two 1 gig sticks of ddr2 for 2x 2gig sticks.
My question is am I stuck with 2 gigs of ram on this board, im confuddled.
Thanks in advance
MrP

Wanna cram another gig of ram in my board but not sure if it will work any advice before i shell out for a waste of space.

Board is Gigabyte 81915P Duo, Latest bios is installed BIOS v6.00PG
Currently running vista x32 ultimate so think the max memory is 3 gigs.

2x 1gig sticks of ddr2 currently installed

Quote from motherboard manual
Dual Channel DDR/DDR II
GA-8I915P Duo supports the Dual Channel Technology. After operating the Dual Channel Technology, the
bandwidth of Memory Bus will add double.
GA-8I915P Duo includes 4 DIMM sockets, and each Channel has two DIMM sockets as following:
Channel A : DDR 1 or Channel A : DDR II 1
Channel B : DDR 2 Channel B : DDR II 2
If you want to operate the Dual Channel Technology, please note the following explanations due
to the limitation of Intel chipset specifications.
1. If one DDR/DDRII memory modules are installed: The Dual Channel Technolog cannot
operate when one DDR/DDRII memory modules are installed.
2. Two DDR/DDR II memory modules are installed (the same memory size and type): The Dual
Channel Technology will operate when two memory modules are inserted individually into
Channel A and B

Also this is in the notes
2 DDR DIMM memory slots (supports up to 2GB memory)
2 DDR II DIMM memory slots (supports up to 2GB memory)

Note:Mixed mode, populating DDR and DDR II memory modules simultaneously is not supported.

From what I can work out i cant put an extra stick of ddr1 in the free expansion slot and cant even swap out the two 1 gig sticks of ddr2 for 2x 2gig sticks.
My question is am I stuck with 2 gigs of ram on this board, im confuddled.
Thanks in advance
MrP

It states upto 4gb DDr2 (not allowed to mix ddr1 and ddr2) so you can get another 1gb ddr2 stick.

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-8I915P Duo Pro Duo Pro

If you'd rather upgrade for a future CPU upgrade, take a look at this board: ASUS P5B-VM SE iG965 Socket 775 Socket onboard VGA 6 Channel Audio mATX motherboard - Ebuyer

It will allow you to use you existing CPU and DDRII modules. It supports more upto 4GB and has 4x RAM slots for the extra GB you want, but its only got one IDE connector (I've not seen a board with more than one IDE connector for a few years).

If you've more than 2 IDE devices you've got a few options:

Last edited:
Cheers yotta and pob damn they was quick replies lol the beauty of DW.
Yotta id have to swap out the 2 ram sticks for 2 x 2gig sticks as 2 channels support DDRI and the other 2 support DDRII. Therefore i cant just fling another stick of DDRII in any of the remaining slots. Thats what was confusing me and my manual states 2 gig per channel but the website states 4 gig confusing eh ! LOL
@ pob looks like the credit cards coming out as i was thinking of upgrading my board anyway and that one in the link supports just about everything. The pathways clear then to throw 4 gig in that board and look towards upgrading my cpu to a 64 bit so i can make full use of the 4 gig ram.
Now then quad core or core 2 extreme hmmmm. Never ending is it :Laugh:
Rep @ you both :)

Yotta id have to swap out the 2 ram sticks for 2 x 2gig sticks as 2 channels support DDRI and the other 2 support DDRII. Therefore i cant just fling another stick of DDRII in any of the remaining slots. Thats what was confusing me and my manual states 2 gig per channel but the website states 4 gig confusing eh ! LOL
@ pob looks like the credit cards coming out as i was thinking of upgrading my board anyway and that one in the link supports just about everything. The pathways clear then to throw 4 gig in that board and look towards upgrading my cpu to a 64 bit so i can make full use of the 4 gig ram.
Cheers.

Just make sure that if you want Win7 and its XP mode you get a CPU that supports it when you do upgrade: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/207904/

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks pal.

Your welcome lads and yea down diddled win 7 only to find my cpu unsupported SHOCK. There was me thinking I had a reasonably quick machine lol 3.2gig twin cores just aint what they used to be eh !!

Your welcome lads and yea down diddled win 7 only to find my cpu unsupported SHOCK. There was me thinking I had a reasonably quick machine lol 3.2gig twin cores just aint what they used to be eh !!

Is that the Pentium D 940 then?

If so I had that CPU in my media rig, for what it's worth it supports 64bit architecture (i.e. it'll run a 64bit OS), it's just not that great at HD stuff.

A nice E8400/8500 will sort you out for ~£130-160 and give you VT support for XP mode under Win7.

If you're looking nearer to £100 grab an E7400. And an E5200 can be had for under £55. But neither of these have VT support.

Last edited:
Is that the Pentium D 940 then?

If so I had that CPU in my media rig, for what it's worth it supports 64bit architecture (i.e. it'll run a 64bit OS), it's just not that great at HD stuff.

A nice E8400/8500 will sort you out for ~£130-160 and give you VT support for XP mode under Win7.

If you're looking nearer to £100 grab an E7400. And an E5200 can be had for under £55. But neither of these have VT support.

You know what mate im not entirely sure what the cpu is had a look on everest and sandra but but all its states is this

CPU #0 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3215 MHz

CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3215 MHz

Pentium R I guess

How in the heck do you find out whats what lol

Back