R4 help

Look at the screenshot in Curly's post here
your card should look like that, let us know.
HH.

Last edited by a moderator:
was just looking at people who had same problem and it says

If you have the problem where it says “Couldn’t Find _DS_MENU.DAT you need to make sure the R4 System is in the ROOT DIRECTORY of your MicroSD card. The CD it came with contains the “SYSTEM FILES” _system_ and some other DIRs. place these directly onto the microSD card, DO NOT PLACE THEM IN THEIR OWN DIRECTORY or nobody will see it.

does this mean I put every file within the _system_ folder?

When I open up my usb with the card in it it first has English folder I double click that then it has the _system_ folder the moonshl folder and then has the ds menu dat file an dthe ds mshl file, I have tried putting them all in the system folder.

The english folder should not be there, open english folder and highlight everything and copy it, then go back to root of card and paste, then delete the english folder and everything in it.

I have

_System_
moonshl
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

Last edited:
seems looking at the screen shot that I dont have _DS_MSHL.SYS or _DS_MSHL.nds

I dont know if it is supposed to auotmatically create a .sys file but I have just sent you a new one, format the card and extract everything to the root of the mem card and put a game in the root aswell and try that.

I have rared it up so there is no English folder.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeesssssssss it works!!!!!!! thankyou so much for everyones input, I assume it was the system file for the menu file that jaffa sent me thankyou so much guys

Well done Jaffa.

Edit: Oh & you too graemewh!!

hee thanks,m just another quick question doh, I have loats of games some have 2 nds files that look exactly the same , for example Lost Magic (j).nds and lost magic(j)1.nds

im looking for the nds file of 42 classic games Ive been given the sites to search but cannot find this game

hee thanks,m just another quick question doh, I have loats of games some have 2 nds files that look exactly the same , for example Lost Magic (j).nds and lost magic(j)1.nds

Sounds like 2 copies of the same game. Only way to check is stick them both on & try them. If same, delete one of them.
Re 42 classics, I use torrents & Google, it's definitely out there!

sods law the first three games I load up when I swicth the DS on dont work!! 2 just have a white screen one loads and then when you start it just goes to ablack screen? Infact none of the 8 gaems Ive put on work

Last edited:
Just wiped the games off and got mario sonic and that just has a white screen, im not sure why? they are from a site where it works for others

Not sure mate. Don't know what rev you're on now but now you know how / where to put it try the latest V1.18. I've only ever had 1 game out of maybe 100 I've tried that didn't play. If the firmware's on properly & it's an nds file you're trying, it should work. Try a small game once you've got V1.18 on (remember un-rar it on your pc, then copy the contents of the English folder - 2 folders & 2 files - to the root of your memory card.
Good luck,
HH.

yes i just put in the outside the other folders if that makes sense, dont want to update to the latest and lose the menu again

Maybe the file jaffa sent you doesn't work properly with the firmware you have on. Only way is to try new firmware that definitely works. Up to you though....
HH

yes but where do i get the menu sys file from that works with the new firmware? do you have a link or could upload please that would be great

If you put the contents of the un-rar'd English folder on the root of your memory card that is all you need.
HH

plus a game obviously:proud:

yes but if you read my previous posts I was doing that but couldnt get it to work as couldnt find the menu and thats when jaffa sent me the menu sys file, otherwise the unrar english folder doesnt have it and it doesnt work

Sorry mate I've no clue. Set up 6 of these for family/friends since just before Christmas with different revs of firmware & I've never had to put any additional files on.
Good luck,
HH.

Back