R4 help

graemewh

Inactive User
Reaction score
I Have the R4 and have copied the system folder over to the Micro card (file from the CD) but when I turn the DS on with the R4 and card in, it says that it cannot find DS menu?

Go to the link below and download the latest firmware in the 1st post which digidude kindly supplied and put it all on the mem card, if it asks to overwrite files click yes.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/174263/

btw....If you have any games already on it they will be fine where they are as it is only going to replace system files

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just etxracted it straight to the card and overwritten everything, it still says couldnt find_DS_MENU.DAT

I have just etxracted it straight to the card and overwritten everything, it still says couldnt find_DS_MENU.DAT

Might sound stupid this but no way of knowing without asking you.

When you extracted it did you extract it out of the english folder 1st ???

On the root of the card you should have the

_system_ folder

monshl folder

_ds_menu.dat file

_ds_mnshl.nds file

If that doesnt work then format the card and try again.

I extracted everything and dragged to the card but the _ds_menu.dat file isnt there after I have extracted??

I think I know what it is, everything you said is in the extracted folder but for some reason there is a DS_menu file but is associated as a video file??? (video CD movie) ie: its not a dat file

I think I know what it is, everything you said is in the extracted folder but for some reason there is a DS_menu file but is associated as a video file??? (video CD movie) ie: its not a dat file

What file extension does it have, try changing it to .dat, if that doesnt work I will upload mine for you.

no that still doesnt work if you could o that, that would be great thanks

havent a clue why but when I winrar it, it always goes on as a Video CD Movie (.DAT) file and is associated with Nero Show Time?

havent a clue why but when I winrar it, it always goes on as a Video CD Movie (.DAT) file and is associated with Nero Show Time?

It doesnt really matter what it is associated with, it should still work but obviously doesnt. Its just when you installed Nero it would have given you a list of files to associate with nero and .dat was probably one of the extensions.

Still dont know why it wont work.

Only thing I can see that may have nothing to do with it but I did notice there is no themes folder in the new firmware, was there a themes folder in the firware which came on the cd. It should be in system folder ?? There are themes folders in mine but when I update firmware it doesnt affect them.

no themes folder, damn paid for the R4 gutted cant even work it

sorry to be apain but I have put the micro card in anothe rlaptop and all the files are there with the correct extensions and are NOT associated with nero show time ie: everything seems fine I then put the R4 in and put the card into it into the DS and it still comes up on the ds Couldnt find_DS_MENU.DAT?

I havent a clue why this would happen, sorry to be a pain but I really would likle this solved and hopefully someone can help, thankyou in advance

graemewh, might be an idea to start from scratch mate. JAffa suggested formatting the memory card, did you try that? If you did, try another firmware version i.e if you put the new V1.18 on yesterday, try V1.17 instead. Don't worry about the themes folder for now.
Good Luck,
HH.

yep he kindly sent the files yesterday I wiped the card and started again still no joy.

sorry to be apain but I have put the micro card in anothe rlaptop and all the files are there with the correct extensions and are NOT associated with nero show time ie: everything seems fine I then put the R4 in and put the card into it into the DS and it still comes up on the ds Couldnt find_DS_MENU.DAT?

I havent a clue why this would happen, sorry to be a pain but I really would likle this solved and hopefully someone can help, thankyou in advance

Have you got this file on the root, as it hasnt been mentioned before.

_DS_MENU.SYS

was just looking at people who had same problem and it says

If you have the problem where it says “Couldn’t Find _DS_MENU.DAT you need to make sure the R4 System is in the ROOT DIRECTORY of your MicroSD card. The CD it came with contains the “SYSTEM FILES” _system_ and some other DIRs. place these directly onto the microSD card, DO NOT PLACE THEM IN THEIR OWN DIRECTORY or nobody will see it.

does this mean I put every file within the _system_ folder?

When I open up my usb with the card in it it first has English folder I double click that then it has the _system_ folder the moonshl folder and then has the ds menu dat file an dthe ds mshl file, I have tried putting them all in the system folder.

Back