Quote for tree removal ...

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a eucalyptus thats about 25' tall and I want it removing completely. Any idea how much it would normally cost for this sort of thing ?

I did have it lopped last year and the guy charged me £300. I dont think he did a very good job of it and it seems to have grown back to where it was so I refuse to keep having it lopped at that sort of money.

It will keep growing.

I have one, which was 40ft and lopped it a couple of years ago. The growth will be new branches and leaves, as opposed to the cut branch regrowing.

If its only 25ft do it yourself.

Get a chainsaw and a ladder, and cut it up in very small sections from the top down, meaning you do not need any technical knowledge.

Cost you what, £150 for a ladder and electric chainsaw?

If you want the stump removing then you are going to pay extra to have it removed (either with a stump grinder, or by chaining the stump and pulling it out with a winch - that can only be done if there is no fear that the roots are anywhere near your foundations.)

If I was to guess, I would say £400-£800 dependent upon whether you are getting a landscape gardener, tree surgeon, or local handyman to do it.

Go on, do it yourself. you will feel the better for it.

It will keep growing.

I have one, which was 40ft and lopped it a couple of years ago. The growth will be new branches and leaves, as opposed to the cut branch regrowing.

If its only 25ft do it yourself.

Get a chainsaw and a ladder, and cut it up in very small sections from the top down, meaning you do not need any technical knowledge.

Cost you what, £150 for a ladder and electric chainsaw?

If you want the stump removing then you are going to pay extra to have it removed (either with a stump grinder, or by chaining the stump and pulling it out with a winch - that can only be done if there is no fear that the roots are anywhere near your foundations.)

If I was to guess, I would say £400-£800 dependent upon whether you are getting a landscape gardener, tree surgeon, or local handyman to do it.

Go on, do it yourself. you will feel the better for it.

i might be wrong but my m8s a tree surgeon
and im sure a member of the public cant just hire a chain saw now.
And to buy one i imagine would be costly.

I have a eucalyptus thats about 25' tall and I want it removing completely. Any idea how much it would normally cost for this sort of thing ?

I did have it lopped last year and the guy charged me £300. I dont think he did a very good job of it and it seems to have grown back to where it was so I refuse to keep having it lopped at that sort of money.

stihl260 is a tree surgeon, ask him.

But be warned he thinks trees have arms instead of branches for some reason.

I bought my chainsaw from B&Q.

I have lopped a eucalyptus and cut two conifers down to the stumps (35-40ft tall).

I burnt the logs in one of them bin things.

If you have the right size ladder, and are careful cutting the logs into small sizes, its a piece of piss.

Net cost to me, about £80.

Idiots!

picard-facepalm.jpg

Hi
Without seeing any photos of the job, heres my professional opinion.
It depends on where the tree is (is anything round it or near it), buildings sheds, fences etc, power lines, telephone cables etc.
As the tree is only 25ft tall i would be tempted to drop it in one go.
So long as you put a hinge cut in first, this will allow you to control the direction and speed of the felling .
Plenty of info on the net on how to fell a tree correctly.
There are other factors to consider as to wether the tree has nore weight on one side, a lean on it etc.
Or you remove the branches first which will take some weight out , leaving you with the upright trunk, which in turn is easier to contol where it lands.
The above method is time consuming.
You could still take it down in sections if you wish ( as already mebntioned).
Electric chainsaws can be hired or bought.
No hire shop legally can hire you a petrol chainsaw unless you can produce NPTC CS30,CS31 ( thats cross cut and maintainence followed by basic felling ticket up to up to 30cm in tree girth and using no bigger than a 15" long bar).
There is nothing to stop you going out and buying a chainsaw without any need for a ticket (insane i know!).
If you do decide to buy one, buy new and not second hand and deffinately not off ebay as most on there are completely shagged if they have seen any pro use.
You can a StihlMS180 (entry level domestic use saw) for about £200.
Use good quality two stroke at mixture of 50/1 and if you dont want to fork out for proper chain oil, then simply use any multigrade oil you have lying around spare.
Hire shops can hire you the safety kit on its own and i would not use a saw in my hand without wearing it.
back to your tree!
Once its down and you are left with a stump, then you can either stump grind it out ( you can hire a stump grinder from most hire shops), or as mentioned you can try and winch it out.
The easiest way to stop any regrowth from the stump is to use some form of chemical stump killer.
Garlon is a good pro one, Root out or something similar from your local garden center may work (tell them what you want to use it on and get the strongest they sell).
You can enhance the root killer by putting a sheet of ploythene over the stump and nailing it tight round the edge, or tie rope string round it.
It makes the stump sweat and speeds up the killing process!
If you decide to get a Pro in, then choose someone by personal recommendation or search Yell etc for someone with the words Arb after their name ( it means they have taken a degree in Arboculture).
Proper Arborists will charge more if they have to dispose of the trunk and the brash (usually with a chipper).
If you offer to dispose of this you can half the cost!
The other thing is a Pro is insured against damage to your or your neighbours property, were as the Irish Gentleman that knocks on your door wont have (hence why he does it for a third of the price).
If you decide to go down the pro route, then send me a photo of the job (PM me for email addy) along with your qoutes, not estimates (there is a diffrence) and i will advise you on the best price for the job and whats its actually worth to do it.
If you need any technical advice on how to do it yourself, same applies PM me and i will help you to do it safely without injuring yourself or anyone Else!)
Hope i have helped.
Regards
Stihl260

Last edited:
.........The other thing is a Pro is insured against damage to your or your neighbours property, were as the Irish Gentleman that knocks on your door wont have (hence why he does it for a third of the price).

As an Irish man I find that particular snippet very funny m8,
an excellent post altogether :Clap:

Nothing about a dbox or xbox in sight top info fella.

Thanks for the answers guys. I will get some quotes for a professional to do it. The tree actually towers above the house so I think I rather underestimated the size.

I also need a contorted willow crowning by half too plus a lot of other general trimming so that some new fence panels can be dropped in.

Dont trust myself with a chainsaw. I am lethal with a junior hacksaw ;-)

this is a good price for a chainsaw much better than the electric ones and if your careful youll be ok just dont go climbing trees with it (mozra)
if you can fell the tree in one go with a hinge cut like sthil said then the rest is easy you could even stick an ad in the local paper offering free firewood and somebody with a woodburning fire is sure to come knocking i know i would have it if you were local to me

h**p://www.amazon.co.uk/Mac-738-Chainsaw/dp/B001H38Z60/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1254481586&sr=8-5

Back