Questions about mythtv

I'd say the three things to to troubleshoot are:

1) Quality of signal into the box - any attenuators you can get rid of or boosters you can add?

2) Cpu usage on your pc. Try changing the priority of ggrab_mod to high when its running - it'll help if other processes are grabbing cpu time.

3) Networking bottlenecks. Also as a general networking tip I've found applying this suggestion has helped a lot:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tips/MVPNetworkTweaks

Hi, it doesnt happen if i use dboxwinserver to record, the stream is then in perfect quality with no glitches. If i use bitcontrol to watch the dbox its in perfectly quality too.

The CPU use was only around 40% before ill try running it with high priority.

Also just a quick question, would i have to manually add all 200+ channels or could I add loads of channels from xmltv then map them to the dbox channel numbers?

If it's working in dboxwinserver see if the settings in there are using ggrab as its engine. If it is it should work with the sage plugin just fine. Might be worth asking the plugin creator to get his input.

No you don't have to add all the channels manually - you can set it all up through when you import your xmltv file. You need to set up you xmltv grabber channels so they match your dbox channel list and all teh channels are ordered the same. Then get all the xmltv channel numbers and the order they are written in from the userchannels.txt file - make sur eyou don't overwrite that file though. Go down adding a number at the end of each line: e.g.

92 1
103 2

etc You can do this dead quick in a spreadsheet or just go down doing it manually. Add all these modified lines to AltChIds.txt and run the xmltv grabber.

Then go back to sage and import the channel list from the xmltv file as described in my long post above. Your channel list will then come in with the right names and in the right order from you xmltv file and all the programme nformation will be imported too.

Ok ive got it working if i don't use the xmltv source, if i pick that it wipes out all my manually added channels and doesnt add anymore.

I'm up to this point in your guide

Click XMLTV Lineup and then wait patiently while it parses the epgdata.xml file. Sometimes, this screen just stays there, even after it’s finished parsing the file; if you’re still waiting after five minutes, go back to the main menu by clicking the SageTV logo in the top left, then go back to the Setup Wizard and click the name of your source.

It just hangs for me on this step ive waited 10mins+ each time, if i go back to the setup and click on the source there are no channels there and if i try clicking "XMLTV Lineup" again it just says "please wait while channel lineup is downloaded for xmltv lineup" again.

Edit: I've got the xml file in C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\epgdata.xml and i've setup the C:\Program Files\XMLTV Radio Times\AltChIds.txt file with the numbers that match the dbox channel numbers.

I've also add the Xerces XML parser file in to the java directory.

Last edited:
Don't worry mate we'll get there in the end :)

I guess if yout this far you've used the zip code of 00000 and added the xerces.jar file the right directories? And you've got you're xml file called epgdata.xml in the sage directory? If in doubt open up the xml file and check that the channel list near the top reads with sensible names and numbers.

How many channels have you got in the xml file? It might be an idea to just start with a few channels - that way the import process should definitely take no more than a couple of minutes.

If its still not working I'd try a different xmltv plugin. The one I use is detailed here http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1706 . If you use this one copy your epgdata.xml to 1.xml and choose listing 1 durin the import process.

gerner said:
Don't worry mate we'll get there in the end :)

I guess if yout this far you've used the zip code of 00000 and added the xerces.jar file the right directories? And you've got you're xml file called epgdata.xml in the sage directory? If in doubt open up the xml file and check that the channel list near the top reads with sensible names and numbers.

How many channels have you got in the xml file? It might be an idea to just start with a few channels - that way the import process should definitely take no more than a couple of minutes.

If its still not working I'd try a different xmltv plugin. The one I use is detailed here http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1706 . If you use this one copy your epgdata.xml to 1.xml and choose listing 1 durin the import process.

Hi, i'm using zip code 00000 and ive added the xerces.jar file to the C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext directory. The xml file is called epgdata.xml, i opened it up and it looks fine to me.

I've only got channels 1-5 in the file at the moment.

I've just tried the other xmltv plugin you mentioned but i dont get any sort of options to chose listing 1. It just goes straight in to the "please wait while the channel lineup is downloaded for the xmltv lineup" window and it just stays there.

I'm thinking maybe my epgdata.xml/1.xml file is maybe wrong somehow, i'm using the version of the xmltv Radio Times program that you mentioned in your previous long post.

Yeah you could be right. I'd say double check all of the steps needed.
Try reconfiguring the xmltv grabber by adding a couple of channels. Save the configuration and run the grabber. Make sure the new xml file is output into the sage directory. Just to make sure compare the date time of the file to the old one. copy the new file to 1.xml and so you now have epgdata.xml and 1.xml.

Make sure you have your xmltv directory in the sage program folder and that it contains the jar files. For the hell of it save your xerces.jar here and in the main sage directory as well. Also check the Sage.properties epg_import_plugin value points to the jar file in the xmltv directory i.e if the jar file is called XMLTVImportPlugin.jar make epg_import_plug=xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin.

I've double checked everything and it still wont work, are you using the rt xmltv listings? Looks like theres loads of problems with uk EPG and sagetv according to there forum.

Yep I'm using the one I posted above, somthing like 2.2. There are problems with tvtv uk epg but not with xmltv. I know xmltv is working well for me and quite a few others. I'd leave it for the night mate, come back to it tomorrow iwth a fresh head. It'll be something daft I bet.

Something I just thought, you need to make sure sage is compltetely closed before editing the sage.properties file. if your running it as a service you need close the service and the app. Also, make sure you're running sagetv.exe and not the client.

Hi mate thanks a lot for all your help tonight, i've just worked out what i was doing wrong. When i changed the files inside the xmltv directory inside sage i had to remove the recording source and restart sage/sage service before going in and adding the dbox as a recording source again.

Once i did this i got the screen which asks which xml file i want to use followed by the extended epg selection screen.

Thanks again for all your help mate.

Glad you've got it sorted :) Hope it works well for you so let us know how you get on.

Back