PS3 overheating help

krazylegz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sorry if there's posts already on this but I can't see the search button on the new tapatalk :(

My sons spare old PS3 ( fat 80gb ) that he keeps at my parents house. Recently it's sort if started to overheat. The fan comes on at full speed and sounds like a plane taking off.

I was gunna clean it all down inside and try replacing the thermo compound, however I'm seeing conflicting things on this. Some are saying use a card to spread compound evenly then put a small blob in the middle, others are saying just a blob. Which one is correct?

Also is there any other tips to make it quiet again?

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!

I've never done a PS3 but on PC processors and heat sinks, i put a blob in the middle the size of a pea then use a credit card for an even spread

Yeah credit card or similar is the way I do it on ps3, use some decent thermal paste. Hopefully it's just a change of paste, but if it still doesn't solve the hoover fan issue, I would say you need to reapply paste under the CPU and RSX Heatplates on the IHS, but by doing this you could actually end up with ylod.

And as an added tip, when prying the motherboard up from the heatsinks, best not to do it cold you will put pressure on the solder balls that attact the CPU and RSX to the mainboard and potentially pull them up/detach them, also causing your console not to boot. So warm up the area first ( Hair dyer will work) and the motherboard will come from the heatsink alot easier for you with less preasure :)

Thanks for the info lads :)

None of the local PC shops have any artic silver paste in but said he did have another brand of silver paste in, can't remember the name now. Guess I'll give it a bash tomoz, got nothing to loose :)

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on

Think it needs reballing :(

Redone the thermal compound and it's still the same, quiet until a game starts to get played then fans kick in at full speed

Paste under the CPU/RSX heatplate IHS?

What do you mean by under? I've pasted ontop of the two chips and that's the only contact with the heat sinks from what I can see.

Mine looks like this inside not the other type with the big copper cooling rods

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388262768.057865.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpInuwo9m3s

The easier one to remove is the by far the RSX, CPU could cause the YLOD if not done with alot of care. The fishing line and heat is by far the safest method for CPU. Heat and upwards nudging is all that's really needed for RSX.

(In the video the guy already has this RSX up)

Don't recommend doing it cold.

I killed 3 ps3 FAT 60Gb version because of the YLOD. Just buy an PS3 slim 3.55 CFW on ebay, it's the best solution for keeping it working years.

Back