ps3 drive not spinning.

phezo

DW Member ++
Reaction score
my father in law got handed a ps3 phat that wasnt reading discs. i looked at it and saw that the laser and the drive motor werent doing feck all(the discs wouldnt spin up). the drive takes in discs and ejects discs without any problems.

i ordered a replacement laser deck kem-410aca and the problem remains. triple checked all the cables. still the same.
what would be the most likely cause of this fault,cheers.

have you took the drive apart and put a game in and seeing if the motor is actual spinning? could be the white plastic wings? let it take a game and then stick the magnet thing on top and see if it spins, is the laser getting power?, of course don't look into it but you can have a quick glance from afar, or with some shades, are the ribbon cables seated properly?

mine was like that when I didn't have the sliders correct, what drive is it? one that when you feed a disc in it spins, or a one that when you feed a disk in it just goes straight in?

lots of questions...LOL

i've stripped about 3 bluray drives in my time, the wings are fine.(it takes a disc in no probs) everything appears to be fine apart from the motor wont spin. i tried moving the laser back and it comes back to its original point, i've never seen it shine though. the sliders are ok as well.
i'll try putting the magnet on top tonight after you put a disc in,cheers.

I had a prob like this I tried everything.it ended up it was the ribbon cable under the drive which connects to the motherboard.I changed the cable and all was working.maybe something else to look at.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

i had the same problem which ended up being a bad ribbon worth having a look

i've ordered a cable, i also had a problem in the past with another ps3 that wouldnt take in discs which turned out to be the cable. it took me about 20 hours that time to realise that.

these ribbon cables are decent quality, you wonder why they are so fragile.

it took me about 20 hours that time to realise that.

mate been there and done that, fek it get it ripped apart.....LOL

just pull the bar up that holds the ribbon down.....research them.....some of them slide, some of them push, look and check which one your working on, take your time, and go for it! slide it! but just don't force it...!

before you do this though, did you try the magnet on them?

lol, wheres me bloody hammer.
i'll try the magnet tonight. had the cable on and off a few times, tried pressing the connector down(thats how i noticed the faulty cable on a previous drive).

hope you get sorted phezo them ps3 drives are quite nasty.I dif prefer the Xbox drive far superior.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

got the replacement cable yesterday, try it tonight, doing up my loft at the minute. the time its taken me to type this i could be trying the cable. let you know in 5.

Seems you have already narrowed down your problem, having had a few of these drives apart previously the likely candidates are either the ribbon cable you are about to try replacing, the drive motor itself or the board on the blu-ray drive. You could try buying a naked drive from ebay. they are usually available fairly reasonably priced then you just fit your board to the drive and unless you are really unlucky you should be off and running.

ive replaced the full laser deck with the drive motor and the cable and still no joy. wtf.

got the same problem with my console. i'll try some of the suggestions here. thanks

i had one that was the Logic board once , Have you had an sucess with this, or are u still in your loft :)

Back