PS3 Bluray broken

jonny2by4

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a ps3 40gb (fat) which was not playing games its use to take the disc but not read anything
I dropped it off at some guys how who claimed he fixes them has a website will post to avoid.
It took half a day and guys called said it unrepairable.
Took PS3 back and now i cant even insert disc into the drive makes a clicking sound.

Just want to know is it worth fixing casue bluray drives cost £50-60

Thank you in advance

i'd say yes. £50 to get it working again? cheaper than a new one.

failing that, what firmware is it on? if it's 3.55 or less, load a custom firmware and play games from hard disk.

I think it has been updated to latest firmware is there any way to downgrade this. My main concern is the guy said he replaced the drive and it still did not work

3.56 is not downgradable.

there's 2 ways to fix the drive - a new laser _ carridge OR a complete new drive + controller. without knowing exactly what this bloke has done, i'm not sure BUT this does fix it. a complete replacement drive, it's like replacing the CDROM in your PC, it's a complete swap outable unit so it should work perfectly - unless he's knackered something else in the process and is relying on you being inexperienced and accepting his advice thats it's totally unfixable.

to me, without knowing his work or what he's tried to do - i'd say he's not done a proper job and knackered it more.

if he has replaced the full bluray drive then thats the problem as they are married, it needs to be jailbreakable to remarry it, get the original drive and just replace the laser, problem solved

Trouble is, if the console has been upgraded to latest software a remarry is not possible cos it is only possible if you are 3.55 and below.

Do not enter service mode on PS3 > 3.55 you will not get back out

JohnO

with 2 things wrong in it's favour, i'd get shot on flebay, more trouble than it's worth.

HOWEVER, make sure you're clear on whats wrong, thats it's been opened, an attempted repair/replacement of the blu ray by a 'professional' (but no YLOD) and list it as faulty. As for the firmware, say you're unsure.

if he has replaced the full bluray drive then thats the problem as they are married, it needs to be jailbreakable to remarry it, get the original drive and just replace the laser, problem solved

the problem now is that the drive does not accept discs aswell as not reading them by replacing the laser wont solve the issue

He has probably broken the sensor wire. They are about £3 to £9 on fleabay.
Did he replace the laser and leave it in there when he attempted fix. Also have you opened it and checked the connections?

JohnO

i had the same problem with mine ,i had uncliped two little spings in the front of the drive when cleaning and after putting it bact tigether it didnt takes disks .The two springs open the disk door (they are very small

the problem now is that the drive does not accept discs aswell as not reading them by replacing the laser wont solve the issue

sorry i have re-read that

correct me if this is wrong:

you have a ps3 that when you had it first it wouldnt play games?

from your knowledge the drive wasnt swapped or anything like that?

you then took it to a "professional" who said that they tested with a replacement drive and it didnt owkr, thus not repairable ?

if this is correct

its simply not accepting discs due to the drive not being put back together properly, the mechanism on these bitches are a nightmare at times, spare yourself 20-40minutes free time to fully strip down and rebuild the drive mechanism and it will start accepting the discs again.

then back to the original problem, chances are that the bluray laser has died on you, check to see if it reads dvds and/or cd's...

chances are you will just need a replacement laser, fit it in (make sure you build the mechanism back together correctly) and it should be ok :)

sorry i have re-read that

correct me if this is wrong:

you have a ps3 that when you had it first it wouldnt play games?

from your knowledge the drive wasnt swapped or anything like that?

you then took it to a "professional" who said that they tested with a replacement drive and it didnt owkr, thus not repairable ?

if this is correct

its simply not accepting discs due to the drive not being put back together properly, the mechanism on these bitches are a nightmare at times, spare yourself 20-40minutes free time to fully strip down and rebuild the drive mechanism and it will start accepting the discs again.

then back to the original problem, chances are that the bluray laser has died on you, check to see if it reads dvds and/or cd's...

chances are you will just need a replacement laser, fit it in (make sure you build the mechanism back together correctly) and it should be ok :)

When i get a chance i will take alook but it does not read anything

yeah, but if it still has your ORIGINAL drive it in, you can swap out just the laser. However, you'll need to correct whatever he's not put back together correctly.

yeah, but if it still has your ORIGINAL drive it in, you can swap out just the laser. However, you'll need to correct whatever he's not put back together correctly.

yup, my guess is that he just hasnt put the drive back together properly, resetting the mechanism should have no bother...

i hope he's not salvaged parts from your drive or swapped it with an worse drive - then tried to fob you off with the "it's unfixable" comment hoping you'll just accept the loss and do nothing else about it...

atleast try repair the mechanism - it's not hard just a bit fiddly ( i swapped the laser on my ps3 80gb no probs)

in bottom corner of drive you will have a little board with switches thats attached to motor make sure the switch on the side is still attached as sometimes these snap of

i hope he's not salvaged parts from your drive or swapped it with an worse drive - then tried to fob you off with the "it's unfixable" comment hoping you'll just accept the loss and do nothing else about it...

atleast try repair the mechanism - it's not hard just a bit fiddly ( i swapped the laser on my ps3 80gb no probs)

if he has ill go bomb his house no joke

Sounds to me like hes either swapped out your drive completely or taken bits, hmmmm, dodgy

Not sure why you never asked on here for help to be honest, any number of people on here that are always able to help with consoles mate, wii's, 360's, ps3's etc etc

Always come to us lot as it seems he might have :BUMMER: you over

Sounds to me like hes either swapped out your drive completely or taken bits, hmmmm, dodgy

Not sure why you never asked on here for help to be honest, any number of people on here that are always able to help with consoles mate, wii's, 360's, ps3's etc etc

Always come to us lot as it seems he might have :BUMMER: you over

lol... i couldnt be asked to fix it n i paid the price lol..

lol... i couldnt be asked to fix it n i paid the price lol..

Didnt really mean for u 2 fix, theres a few of us on here that would have done it for nowt, cover postage etc

Still you know now for next time :)

Back