PS3 experts

badaman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys need some help advice got a ps3 from a mate who had tried to repair the famous YLOD himself following a guide on the tube like..Although he got it up and working when he tried to play a game the drive wasn’t reading any discs. So he used it to play his movie divx files. A week or so after it went back to YLOD – he couldn’t be bothered in getting a proper fix so he bought a new 1 and I took the faulty one of him..

I got the YLOD fixed myself but the guy who fixed it said it was unfair to charge me as the system was stuck in an update loop…fair enough I thought ;-)
Once home I tried myself to restore and even update from USB but the machine wouldn’t have none of it @ all spend a good few hours on it…after googling around many were reporting that the reason that it could be stuck in a update loop (as it fails around 92% each time could be due to the fact the bluray drive is knackered...

Last night I took the machine to another repairer and explained that the console is in an self-update as soon as it’s switched on he said it shound’t be a problem to fix…

He has just rang me now saying that he’s managed to get it out the update loop and has updated the ps3 to 4.0, but however the bluray drive is not playing any discs (he said that he changed a broken plastic clip on the PCB motherboard of the bluray – I think that’s what he said!) he said the reason for it being in an update loop was the broken clip or sumthin..but he also mentioned that he’s tried swopping the existing bluray drive (from a 60 gig console) and the console will not accept the drive he thinks the bluray drive pcb motherboard may be fooooked and as it’s paired to each console it may not be fixable…I’ll be happy to use it as a media center play divx files etc from it like but what you guys think is there any way around this at all? And is the repairer right what he has told me..

Thanks

-Badaman

There is supposed to be a fix for pairing foreign drives to motherboards.its in the console section under ps3

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Nistleboy Can't find...?

I did have a read of the re-marry bluray drive but links are no more..

-Badaman

the first thing i would do is open the case of the drive and clen the laser yourself with some rubbing alcohol ispropyl etc and see what happens as i found when looking into these things is many have just gone and bought new drives or lasers etc only to find the problem was just the laser needed cleaning , the laser can get very dirty especially if the console has had a ylod fix as the amount of crap that biuld up in a ps3 is astonishing! and when one attempts the ylod fix themselves they dont think about protecting the bluray drive and when cleaning dust just goes everywher in particluar the drive

so clean the laser first gently making sure you dont misalign the laser etc and take it from there

Could the bluray pcb board be knackerd which is paired to the console....

There a ribbon that connects to mb and blueray it would be worth checking that aswell

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

I collected the PS3 lastnite - fired it up when I got home and as the chap said it was fixed and on FW 4.0.
I then tried to insert a DVD - but the drive wouldn't take it! normally you would just insert the dvd a little and the machine would take it, but in this case you have to push the dvd and the machine still doesn't take it - I didn't force it just incase the dvd got stuck!
I'm able to play divx files from my USB harddrive without any bother, but if there is a way to fix the drive that would be a bonus since I could put this PS3 in my lads room and he can play his games - that way he doesn't bother me when im using my PS3 dstairs like ;-)

So not entirely sure wot could be up with the drive, but if it's fixable then I'll try to go via that route if not then I guess the PS£ would be used as a media centre!

What you guys think...

Also is there no Iplayer or ITV player on FW 4.0 - I cound't see them..

-Badaman

iplayer and all that is available you you have to select the multicoloured icon under video section then you have to install the apps like iplayer lovefilm etc they have really improved the iplyer app its got proper hd content etc

not sure about the drive mate would it be cheaper to find a console with ylod but with good drive ?and swap all into that ? not sure to be honest

it sounds as though he hasn't put the drive back together, there's mechanisms in side that need to be put back in a certain way or the drive will simply not take the disk in, It sounds that after he's spent time on updating it, then he's just plopped the shell of the drive back together and booted it up with out testing the drive, if you take it apart and have a look at the way the little white plastic tabs of the drive's mechanism work you'll see what I mean.

it is possible to take the drive apart and have the "roof" of it as to speak, take your self a cheap game disk (in case you damage it, even a demo) and then remove the middle spindle that clamps the disk in place.

Now put the game or the demo in the drive and put the "spindle" on top of the game/demo disk then power on the drive, if the game spins up and loads then you know it's the way it's been put back together which then tells you that it works, just hasn't been put back together properly.

if you then turn off the power and remove the spindle and then the disk, then power it up, if you push the disk in (with the roof of the drive) then you'll see how it grabs the disk or tries too, this way you'll be able to narrow the problem down.

How ever, has he charged you for this? not worth a phone call back to him, I personally don't like the bit where he's tried swapping the PCB (you need to marry the drive which isn't as easy as it sounds) also a broken plastic clip would not fail updates etc..

Yo Dibbers ya big bum..good to hear from ya;-)

I know what your saying about the drive may not be put back together correctly - so I'll try to take it apart over the weekend and follow what you have suggested above bud is it an easy jobie and is the drive easy to get too - I've not opened a ps3 ..I take it I don't need any special tools to do this..?
The guy who got it out of the update loop was different to who repaired the YLOD - the ylod was repaired but then the guy cound't get it out of the update loop so he didn't charge me...Wooohooo! the chap who got it out of the update loop only charged me a £10 so happy days...
TBH Dibbers mate im not sure if the bluray pcb was changed or just knackerd I knw he replaced a plastic black clip of some sort...either way I'll take it apart over the weekend..

-Badaman

Back