PS3 blU-rAY REGION UNLOcK

donshaggy

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi
i got myself some blu-rays while on holidays in the u.s for the ps3 as i thought it would work. do any1 know how to set it to region free please?

thanks!

hi
i got myself some blu-rays while on holidays in the u.s for the ps3 as i thought it would work. do any1 know how to set it to region free please?

thanks!

I dont think you can mate. If you can, I would be very interested as I have a JAP PS3 and cannot play anything PAL.

Apparently just quickly reading via Google all PS3's are region free as shipped, but and there always is a but

You need a HDTV as all games are designed to play in 720p, so a normal TV won't sync to a US game on a PAL console

If you want to play movies, they are region coded ..... So a US film will not play on anything but a US PS3. It called squeezing the public for as much cash as we can by selling the same film and making bigger profits by forcing people to watch it only the countries we want it to play

If the software producers have made it region coded, then thats the only region it will play on ..... They have decided to fleece the customers just as much as the film producers, citing region difference on rules and regulations. If a game is banned in one country, if it was region free just buy it froma country it isn't banned and play it in your country. Like ManHunt 2 is banned from sale in UK but not in the USA, so if you have a region free console you can play it in UK

Basically you can't play those US films on your PAL PS3, unless you rip them and convert them to a movie format the PS3 can play and watch them that way, which can be done. Or have a region free Blu-Ray standalone player

Last edited:
If the PS3 is region free, then how does this stop region coded films from being played?

Because the discs are region coded, not the PS3
So if there is no region code on the PS3 to compare it to, how does that stop them from working? Its like removing the region code from a DVD player to play any movie!!

I googled it and found the right answer.

It looks like th PS3 is region free for games only, it would appear that there is some region coding for blu ray. But not all discs appear to use it?

games for the PS3 are region free and always will be according to sony.
With blueray stuff some are region coded but alot are region free, all depends on the distribution company tho.

good site here for info on films which are locked and region free

Blu-Ray Region Code Info

Like ManHunt 2 is banned from sale in UK but not in the USA, so if you have a region free console you can play it in UK

manhunt 2 isnt banned in the uk its freely available at all good game stores and many bad ones too

Just checked, you are right it isn't banned anymore but that is the censored version with either the 'gory' parts heavily pixaliated or so dark as you have no clue what is going on. I have the original uncensored USA Wii release just after it came out which plays on my modded Wii, and now we have soft modding will play on any Wii which doesn't invalidate the guarantee nor break any copyright laws regards console hardware mods as its 100% software based taking advantage of a bug in their code

So, in the vein of the actual reason behind the thread, region locked games are enforced for reasons defined by a countries rules on what is and isn't acceptable to their censors, but more frequently just so the companies can charge 3 or 4 times for the same game when its released to different 'regions' and rip people off

But whats the difference to bashing somebody over the head or sticking a knife in them to using a sniper rifle and blowing their head off or lobbing a frag grenade and blowing a character to pieces

Its a game, its NOT real, but because somebody spent all day every day in their bedroom playing ManHunt and decided in their mind to see what it was 'really like' then it causes an outcry

Blame the game, blame somebody, blame anybody but not the total lack of control by the parents to restrict what their 'child' is playing as it was keeping them out of trouble and quiet

so im screwed basically then aint i? i bought about 10 blu-ray disc form the US cuz i thought they was cheaper compared to over here, and i cant even watch it now. its a bit stupid really aint it? oh well...if anyone has got a region free one or an american console let me know i will let you hae them. my loss!

so im screwed basically then aint i? i bought about 10 blu-ray disc form the US cuz i thought they was cheaper compared to over here, and i cant even watch it now. its a bit stupid really aint it? oh well...if anyone has got a region free one or an american console let me know i will let you hae them. my loss!

You can get region free Blu-Ray players now and there are other ones that weren't region free now offer firmware updates to unlock them.

More expense but at least you'll get the use of your discs.

Worth shopping around as they seem to be coming down in price :)

yeh worth looking around then, if any1 knows of a really gud one at a bargain price let me know too. thanks!

manhunt 2 isnt banned in the uk its freely available at all good game stores and many bad ones too

It was banned for a good time. Rockstar had to edit the game to make it less fucked up...sadly.

As for the PS3 and regions. The console ISNT region free its the DISCS that are either region coded or region free. Yes all games are region free. 85% of blu-ray movies are region free thats because its a new thing the studios are doing they are choosing to do away with region coding because its too costly. Simple as. There are one or two big studios who choose to still do region coded movies so don't think its all over yet.

www.movietyme.com great site i recommend it for checking which blu-rays are region coded and region free. Iv bought blu-rays from them and they are trustworthy.

Also there isint a dvd region unlock for the PS3 let alone a blu-ray region unlock. Maybe one day it will be let out by Sony or leaked but at the moment there isint anything. BTW yes it can be unlocked just is int available right now. Its a software thing not hardware.

As far as I know, just the moveis are region coded, not the games. One of the selling points when ps3 first came out in Japan and was getting sold for £600 - £700.

Back