PS2 Modding

billybob69

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

My 5 year old nephew is starting to get into his PS2, so I thought that I would see whether I could mod his PS2 (old black chunky version).

From the some research I’ve done on here, it seems that the options are; Chipping, Swap Magic and Installing a hard-drive.

Chipping -
I do have some experience with a soldering iron and a steady hand. But how easy is it to do? Where do you get the chips from?
Modchipworld aren’t selling the PS2 chips anymore -
http://www.modchipworld.co.uk/store/ps2-mod-chips-c-54.html
And MrModChips website seems to have been down for the last month
http://www.mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/

Swap Magic –
I’ve seen the video on their web-site and using the slide tool seems too fiddly for a 5 year to do.

I’ve also seen this Flip-top
http://www.memtechsolutions.net/pro...id=63&osCsid=b3e9c56937b976b01e1ecb9aaeaf3cc4

Seems cheap enough, but can anyone explain how you use it?

Install a hard-drive –
Probably the most straight forward to use, but I’ve read that not all the games will work on this and I’m guess the most expensive. What type of HDD do you have to use?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Anybody a good place to download PS2 games? (I use BearShare to download my tunes, but there doesn’t seem to much in the way of PS2 games on there)

As you have a chubby I would def recommend the HDD route if you can get your hands on the Network Adapter.

Compatability is only an issue if there is a particular game that you must have I think about 95% compatable and I've never really had an issue. Have a look @ Console-Exploits they have a good list.

For a five year old no disks to get their grubby hands all over, just boot with PS1 game that stays perm in the drive and pick game from a menu.

Most IDE drives fit only Western Digital have a prob slightly diff position of connection.

Dont know anything about ps2 chipping etc but i read a thread on here about a memory card fix just plug it in and its chipped or something like that .Have a search mate its got to be the easiest way but i'm no expert on these

yep. definately the way to go. and you can install a hard drive using this also. network adaptor can be a problem to find though. but you can also use a usb hard drive

I wouldn't really recomend USB HDD much less game compatability and because only USB1 cut scenes can be choppy, I agree memento a good option and firmware will only get better.

the memor32 will have usb hdd support soon, i just wonder what the compatablity will be like

Hey, thanks all for the feedback. It’s very much appreciated.

That's sound advice there Hejira about putting the games on a HDD for the little ‘un.

Thanks for the feedback on the memory card, but I’m more happy with screwdrivers and soldering irons than patching and programming.

I’ve got a couple more questions -

When you say IDE drive, is that a 2.5” laptop HDD or a 3.5” desktop HDD? And I presume that it is an internal rather than external HDD?

What is the size of the average PS2 game (I’m guessing around 2.5gb), so would I need at least a hard drive of at 30gb?

I’ve watched a few PS2 Network Adaptors on flea-bay. I notice that the ones that are selling with a “Network Access” disc are selling for about £10 more. Would I need a “Network Access” disc / code if I just want to hook it up to a hard drive?

just boot with PS1 game
What PS1 disc do you have to use with a HDD?

How do you transfer a PS2 game from the disk to a hard drive?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb, but I’m new to all this :)

Many of these questions have been answered in great detail before, I have not had an extensive read here but certainly @ Console-Exploits which is ex PS2HD dedicated knowledge on the subject well worth exploring.

When you say IDE drive, is that a 2.5” laptop HDD or a 3.5” desktop HDD? And I presume that it is an internal rather than external HDD?
3.5" HDD Internal, Look at the back of the PS2 you will see a removable cover that says expansion bay Drive fits snuggly in there, very tidy secured with 2 screws on the Network adapter, to easy for words!
What is the size of the average PS2 game (I’m guessing around 2.5gb), so would I need at least a hard drive of at 30gb?
GT4 probably the biggest @5gb, average 2.5gb to 4gb approx 23 unshrunk games on an 80gb drive.
Would I need a “Network Access” disc / code if I just want to hook it up to a hard drive?
Not IMHO, the disk is used to create a network config and online a/c nothing to do with HDD.
This is a trigger disk for the exploit stored on the memcard and there is a large list that can be used.
Orignal disks can be copied from the PS2 Drive or an ISO can be Networked accross or even via the PC and a usb caddy which is quicker but does mean swapping around HDD, I generally use this method to fill a HDD before installing.

Hey, thanks all for the feedback. It’s very much appreciated.

That's sound advice there Hejira about putting the games on a HDD for the little ‘un.

Thanks for the feedback on the memory card, but I’m more happy with screwdrivers and soldering irons than patching and programming.

I’ve got a couple more questions -

I’ve watched a few PS2 Network Adaptors on flea-bay. I notice that the ones that are selling with a “Network Access” disc are selling for about £10 more. Would I need a “Network Access” disc / code if I just want to hook it up to a hard drive?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb, but I’m new to all this :)
The best option is for a memory card (memor32 patched with the memento firmware).
This enables you to keep your guarantee intact and if they break the PS2 Sony will fix it rather than when you chip it.
You can play burned discs provided they are patched before burning (the software available from mementoteam.com).

At present you can also load .elf files from the memory card and the firmware which enables hdd compatibilty is just round the corner.

And modchipfitters.com are able to supply th.e memor32 memory card

Last edited:
PS 2 Chipping isnt for everyone, not everyone can solder let alone to small Via's.

There has been action against online sellers of modchips like MRMODCHIPS, CHEAPMOD etc.
Causing most retailers to discontinue selling ps2 mods.
So far the easiest mods to get and install seem to be the Memory card mod.
But its not the best, i much prefer the modchips just press reset with a game in and it plays.

Stay away from swap magic I have replaced a few customers lasers where they have damaged it due to swapping disks.

Wasnt there talk here of patching games?.

Steps for running backups with Memor32:

- Get the SaveGame Manager to work (see http://www.memor32.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=363)
- Download the firmware. Depending on the type of PS2 you'll need version 1.2e or 1.1
- Connect the Memor32 to your PC
- Install the firmware (the ....FW.exe)
- Get PS2 ISOs and patch them with the firmware patch (....DiscPatcher.exe)
- Unpack and burn the patched ISO to a disc (i.e. with DVD Decrypter)
- Put the Memor32 in your MC slot 1
- Put the disc in and start/reset

PLAY!

MODCHIP = burn .iso and play no patching.

Although points all well made chaps, I did get a pm from billybob69 n he went for HDD n HDLoader option n now has a very happy 5 year nephew, no messing with DVD backups!

In conclusion to this thread I would say the following:

1. Mod Chips are best installed by a pro! Best option for playing DVD backups that are exact copies.
2. Memor32 is easy install but backups need to be patched n firmware needs to be loaded so pc knowledge is a requirement.
3. HDLoader is a worthy option as you can just pick from a list of games If your lucky enough to have an older Chubby PS2, but this also requires some pc knowledge.

Back