Project - Remove a Picture Rail (or not)

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A few of you already know I'm "renovating",

These things generally start of relatively simple, small jobs that kind of go off on a tangent, and boy did i go off on a tangent!!!

So far I've been living out of my bedroom for the best part of four+ months, I work full time as does she, I'm not a builder so things may take me twice of long, but in the same context I am capable (or like to think so)

It did only start out as a small itsy bitsy project to take down the picture rail around the room and plaster over the artex on the walls, no one has or picture rail anymore (or so I keep getting told by Mrs E).

So things kind of expanded from there and went to dropping the ceiling and putting some down lights in, the only issue is that it transpired that I had a severely leaky shower, which even after the trap was replaced I wasn't going to take any chances with, so went a little nuts with the silicone sealant!, but then really only considered last week that I should probably just put an access panel in.......

2012-06-30 17.10.37.jpg 2012-06-30 17.10.57.jpg 2012-07-01 18.49.44.jpg 2012-06-30 17.11.13.jpg

This kind of moved on a little to a bright Idea of replacing the current wooden doors out to the conservatory, with a set of double glazed doors; our living room was always quite cold even during the summer, plus I was always a little weary with regards to their security. this was delight especially when trying to remove the old frame!!

IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0620.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Project - Remove a Dado Rail (or not)

And so a step further, well not a small step because naturally I didn't want to do things by half, but well door frames where removed, stair bannisters ripped off, and fire place surrounds trashed......

My 110v Hilti Kango was my friend (although a bugger to lift!)

IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0595.JPGIMG_0594.JPG

Last edited:

It did only start out as a small itsy bitsy project to take down the dado rail around the room and plaster over the artex on the walls, no one has or dado anymore (or so I keep getting told by Mrs E).

Not so sure about that. If you do a bit of Googling you'll find that dado rails are back in fashion again.

"Just one more thing" she asks, "can we make the conservatory into a room our daughter can use, for her Wii and to sit off in..........."

Board the wall, set it up for a TV....

Oh, "she says" "and I don't like the way the wall bevels above front door", "do you think you could knock a tiny bit of the plaster off" it's not a big deal is it?

IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0639.JPG 20121014_153402.jpg

Last edited:

So where am I today......bearing in mind this and the above is the VERY VERY short version......

Well after a nightmare time getting Mrs E to actually pick a fire that meant that I don't have to pretty much demolish the house (although it feels that way) I'm actually feeling I'm making some progress. Plasterers are being lined up, I finished installing the fire at the weekend and i have next week off. Albeit, she now wants "lights in the stairs" : shocked2

Oh did i mention I've had to fit a new house alarm system too and that the stairs are going to be boarded out with oak flooring, who's going to do it.....yep, guess who.

IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

Last edited:

Looks good Exos but I can't for the life of me figure out why you didn't finish one room off at a time. You now have one huge project to finish in every room. Dado's are still cool mate but you need to discuss it with your good lady oh and ask your wife as well. ;)

Looks good Exos but I can't for the life of me figure out why you didn't finish one room off at a time. You now have one huge project to finish in every room. Dado's are still cool mate but you need to discuss it with your good lady oh and ask your wife as well. ;)

See this is where the problem is, i actually started the living room first, but need to complete the hall first as I'm flooring through from the kitchen (which I actually started before all of this)

See this is where the problem is, i actually started the living room first, but need to complete the hall first as I'm flooring through from the kitchen (which I actually started before all of this)

:err: I see, so if you knock next doors fence down you could put your car in your garage but only if the kitchen door is left open. Good thinking Exos plod on mate it's looking good. ;)

So things are moving along nicely, plasterers finished in the living room and conservatory at the weekend, electric cabling is in for lights, sat feed and sockets (in the conservatory).

Ceiling in the living room is painted, rest is PVA'd, awaiting a few coats of emulsion, door frames are in and architrave is on (what a pain in the ar$e, 6" door frames are no longer 6" door frames...more like 145mm) so had to put a plant on a few of the doors to bring them out to meet the skirting. (annoying)

Hall is dotted and dabbed with the exception of the bannister/stair wall as plasterer wants to do that himself (old house, off shapes, nothing square and walls that are like a roller-coaster)

Stair lights are in with its fused spare and controller unit, some nice joinery work i had to do myself if i do say so, although had an issue with the IR sensors and have to go pick up to new ones tomorrow.

plaster/beading etc sitting in the boot of my car read for next session, hopefully this weekend if I can sort these sensors and the remaining wood work tomorrow.

Decided to save myself £100 on laminate edging and lay the skirting after the floor is down.

Other story on the horizon which takes the edge off and has pi$$ed me off majorly (be warned...buy your freehold! if you can), but otherwise it's all good.

Last edited:

More Pics as time progresses....

IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

Last edited:

That is coming on great Exos well done mate, looking at them pictures hopefully you should be complete well in time for Christmas. Keep sending the pics mate I would love to see the house when it's finished. Keep up the good work. :Clap:

Too late now but next time do the upstairs first, that way you are not trudging building materials all over new floors and carpets, and dinging new walls of wallpaper.

Always start at the point furthest from the front door/main entrance.

To be honest CC, i doubt it mattered, the house looks and still feels like i'm living on a building site.....plaster dust and brick dust everywhere and no matter where I clean it's back the next day.

Moved on a tiny bit now, but not much due to being back at work. Plastering in the hall, landing and stairs was finished last weekend, new "iridium" black sockets and switches are installed, alarm system is up and running but just needs configuring and old sensors removing and replacing with new. Also swapped out all the lights in the living room for 6W LED Dimmable (remote control dimmer)

I'm planning on draining down my rads this weekend from the X200 that has been in the system for about 2 months! and changing all the valves (quite a few where leaking beforehand) plus hopefully getting some flooring down ready for a sofa delivery on Monday.

Little bit a*** about face as will have to put skirting down afterwards and paint, but DFS are not exactly patient.

More pics to follow.

Last edited:

Motoring along ... rads on, floor down, stairs boarded, paintwork primed....

Maybe a bit of a break this weekend as have my daughters 16th!

IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0672.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0681.JPG

Last edited:

Not much movement, skirting is down, paint being "primed", sofa setup, fire setup, conservatory has a new sleek black glass 2Kw heater in it now, just need a TV and sofa...

IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0701.JPG

Hopefully my pics don't look so blurred next time, iPhone pics suck sometimes.

Exos that is coming on great I love that fire it looks really cosy. well done and keep sending the pics.

Any more updates/pics on your progress yet Exos?.

Yep, lots, just haven't had chance to get some updated pictures.

Will try and sort something out Migster, but between missus and kiddo they do nothing but moan now we have a living room and I ask them to make sure it's tidy so i can take a picture lol!

Getting the flooring put down on my stairs and landing today and tomorrow. Doors are on and undercoated. Living room is pretty much finished other than just finishing touches.

Last edited:
Back