Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

programming language

They are only categorised in the "Don't bother" category.

Yes I was taught C/C++ and Motorola 68k ASM at University. I still write software in C/C++, but we are talking about specific stuff here. No one really wants to write GUI based programs in C/C++ when they have other options like VB/C#/Java.

I never said it wasn't important, I said don't learn it if you really don't need to.

Assembler is not machine code; Assembler is the lowest form of language which is "Assembled" into machine code. (Machine code is binary, which the cpu can understand)

I advised against C/C++ because it requires more programmer skill, experience, effort, and attention to detail than is required for some other programming languages.
Don't talk to me about memory leaks.

Relationship? What language was used to create C?

Pascal is not a linear language, structured imperative computer programming language.
It has procedures and functions like any other language. I am sure the Delphi developers out there will hang you for that comment. ;)

There are lots of college courses where you can learn Java or .NET.

I agree with all of the above apart from:

C - is not written in assembler. Well, it is but thats like saying all languages are written in assembler. If memory serves, C was the next step from B... Which was probably written in assembler - I just have no idea :)

Pascal is linear, subs need to be written in order in the code to be ran. You cant even get around that with gotos, this is why it it is often used as a way into oop... I think maybe there have been different versions of Pascal since then that do allow this, but cannot recall. To be honest, it is only good for the classroom.

The only other comment I dont really understand is the one about GUI based stuff written in C/C++. You mention that VB, C# or Java could be used - isnt it equally as hard to write a gui in VB and C# as it is in C/C++? I would also imagine that writing a gui for a Java application would be even more daunting... VB is good for rad stuff, but pretty useless for anything meaningfull or longterm - it is extremely usefull when learning gui design though and should be explored.

And Delphi, well - Delphie developers will always whinge!! :D Seriously, I just found out it has .net support so there is life in it still. However, I have no idea how this matches to VB.net.

Mask. Serously now, a 6502/z80 expert? I think everyone who has done a computing course since the 90's will have been shown how to program on this. The two chips are fantastic at teaching people the basics of assembly.

Also, mono isnt dead it can be freely downloaded from the mono homepage. I dont understand your comment on the .net libraries, this is only an issue when you are building components. Once they are built and deployed then anyone with a web browser can use your dynamic site. Again, this is still available with no support directly from Borland.

Really Mask, you should post the wikipedia pages you read when writing this stuff.

Pritesh, Aldormanndiobla made some very good points as did the majority of others here.

If you get stuck, try taking a look at the forums on devshed (forum.devshed.com) mods remove if this isnt allowed. That forum is a very good place to go if you have a programming related question as they cover just about everything.

Back