problems recording to network shares

spazhammer

Inactive User
Reaction score
just been playing with my box. got commando 9 on there, and been happy with it for ages now. but i've just got myself a spare server with a bunch of free diskspace, so i figured i would give recording a try (tried it year ago when i first got the box, but due to my lack of german, i failed miserably)

anyway, set up a samba share and a user account with full read/write permissions on the share, followed PT-1s guide in the FAQ and got it up and running. i hit record, and files would start appearing on my network drive. job done!

but I just tried to record a full show, and noticed that it keeps creating new .ts files for the same program. one 30 minute recording of a show produced 12 .ts files (and 12 similarly named XML files) of varying sizes... anything from 170mb to 1.2mb in size. i'm guessing if i joined them all together i would get the whole show, although i suspect that the joins wouldnt be perfect...

why is it doing this? is it network bandwidth (ive got the dbox plugged into a 4 port switch which is hooked up to a 54mbps 802.11g wifi access point in bridge mode, which connects to the main network upstairs. bandwidth has never been an issue in the past (i use it for streaming videos off my server to the TV/mac mini runnins OSXBMC/plex). Or would it be due to glitches in the dbox stream (ie low quality signal from the dbox - again, apart from the odd glitch when watching live TV, i've never noticed a real problem before)

or is it some other mysterious third option (NFS/CIFS/SAMBA/etc?) is it just that streaming to disk this way is a bad way to do it? Should i be using a client to record instead (dbox winserver/etc?) - my main issue with this is the lack of windows. i run Ubuntu on my desktop and OSX on my laptop. i have a windows VMware box i could run, but i'm trying to do this as cleanly as possible.

anyway, i've gone through numerous forums, FAQs and other google searches, but can't find any definitive answers/help. would using a different image on my box improve recording? how about a hard disk plugged into a LAN enclosure on the same switch as the dbox? (dont want to do this unless I have to...)

cheers,

w.

Back