Power PC fans from separate psu direct from mains

herbs

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm looking for a power adaptor/transformer, whatever it may be called, that will allow me to connect 1 or 2 PC fans from a normal mains socket without needing to use a PC PSU. Something with a mains plug on one end, and a couple of standard molex power connectors on the other. Does anyone know if such a product exists and where I can get one?

I cant say I've seen one but if your handy with a soldering iron
you could buy a splitter for the fans and and just change the
plug on one end to a dc jack and away you go. If you cant
do it pm me and we can sort something out...

Thanks Wayne. I'm not that handy with a soldering iron but I see what you are saying. I really thought there might be something out there made for the job. If I don't get anywhere I may take you up on your offer of help. Thanks again.

Just a quick comment in that from an eletrical safety point of view, and what we call floating earths, you could cause damage to the PC by powering the fans from a seperate mains source as the fans could be a different potential difference to that of the PC.

This is a difficult subject to understand and the recommendation is that the PC and all its peripherals should be powered from a single source, a powerstrip, probably, in most cases. Fans which are an integral component are powered by the PSU and therefore will not have the forementioned issue. USB powered devices are the same as they too are powered from the PSU.

The integral PSU is common therefor too all equipment in the PC and all the equipment is at the same potential difference and no problem of floating earths can arrise. As would be a possibilty if you introduced fans, fitted to the PC case, driven by a different power supply to that of the PC's PSU.

Sorry for the long winded response but maybe you get from it that caution is needed. I.E. it is not a good idea.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll be using the fans on their own without a PC so this won't be a problem.

Back