Possible cause for Missing channels, picture breaksups?

rp3X

Inactive User
Reaction score
I dont have my Dreambox anymore, but if people recall I tried and tested to death my Dreambox 500c with dozens of wires/attenuators/boosters/adaptors and every image possible yet still had channels vanishing/breaking up issues.

Well I got my EuroVox max3 box few days back, 30 minute Power scan and well all channels came up and picture quality was sharper/clearer no Channels Vanishing which was Amazing to see BUT! Movie channels 5-9 and Skysports 3 were breaking up !

And I noticed something which may possibly be a reason why quite alot suffer from similar issues like I did.... the F-connector doesnt filter properly I think.

I noticed once u screw your NTL white wires end into the F-connector (male) I think the Male pointy bit isnt quite reaching the end of the RF input. I took out the F-connector and cos the end of my NTL wires copper bit is sticking out a bit more I pressed it directly against the RF socket and my channels stopped breaking up!

Im almost compelled to try another Dreambox again.... well maybe not just yet.

Perhaps this is why Cable Engineers are always leaving the copper part sticking out alot more then needed?

Is there an F connector where the male pointy bit is sticking out bit more further?

Or am I just completly on my own on this one lol: bart :

your definetly on your own rp3x lol:RABBIT:

my copper bit just comes out past where you first try to screw the end male f connecter in

quite feasible,

I habitually put a kink in my RF connector terminations, some folks flatten the center conductor to ensure that it is a tight fit into the centre pin.
That's why there is often a flat area in the jaws of electrical pliers, to give a smooth clench. (doesn't that sound lovely ?)

Where possible, solder the center pin, believe it or not, radio frequency signals can and do "jump the gap" in connectors and terminals and always make sure that the outer sheath or braiding has electrical conductivity end to end - all joints and connectors will reduce signal quality and strength. Sound joints are essential.

Last edited:
Yeah its possible im just talking nonesense also :silly:

But its odd if I take off the F-connector adaptor and just try and push the NTL end of the wire up against the socket and all of the sudden the breakups are no longer happening. On my Pace with Funcard no such issues....accept cant get the the Adult/other half lot of channels.

Ive googled and ebayed away but cannot find a "Hung" version of the F adaptor connector, I need one where his pointy male bit sticks right out and a bit more but cant see any :(

Does such a thing even exist?

I tried another test with my Argos booster/atnnuators and well the normal Co-axial (male to male) cable I use to output the signal back to the box doesnt even send the signal ! thats how I discovered perhaps its the Co-axial/RF connector on the back of these boxes causing half the faults ?!

Thx badkarma but my ends fine, its the part where it goes into the F-type adaptor to fit into the Co-axial (RF) input of the box.

I just remembered my m8 had a older Eurovox box and his skymovies were all coming fine so dunno why I have issues..... so its possible it hasnt got anything to do with my signal or wiring at all.

Starting to think someones just cursed me : whip :

At least this time my channels stay on screen unlike the Dreambox.....

Ill continue my test.....

I had similar issues with breakups etc, i changed the f connector to a different type and problems were fixed. Coincidence? who knows, i did put the old one back on a few days back and u guessed it the problems came back.

Thx may give it a go.... oddly I connected my box downstairs and no breakups/issues although it was a tad breakin up it was alot better...

weird the test continue:)

May order off 2-3 more F connectors and a new coaxial cable wire..

Depends on the length of cable you need but I buy fly leads from Maplins, not too expensive, and I have no problems:xmas:

This is weird ran more additonal test.... on my missing/breaking up channels issue.

NTL engineer came round :puke: he applied a 15db attenuator on the mainbox and that fixed the subscribed box that box now updated and picking up basic channels pack and he left:)

Oddly the Eurovox box channels that were breaking up/missing were working ok !

So decided to unplug the subbed box and put the ole funcard+pace box in even with the new 15db attenuator... and wallah same problem ! Wasnt surprised even....

God clearly doesnt like me.....

I tried the fancy looking 15bd attenuator on my eurovox box and multple combos but im still getting no signal/or pushing the cable in more i get the movie channels 6-9 and skysports 3 but with breakup and eventually they vanish...

Ive come to the conclusion there is no better tuner then the one in the PACE grey old box ;)

But im curious to try other boxes now like the dbox and perhaps the older Eurovox box perhaps they had stronger/better tuners.

Does anyone know if someones compiled a list for the best Tuners on any boxes?

...Where possible, solder the center pin...

Applying solder to RF conductors is unwise. The boundary between dissimilar metals can act as a diode at certain frequencies possibly giving you all sorts of problems.

With F connectors the centre pin is usually formed from the conducting core of the actual coax cable. The maintenance of the impedance characteristics of the transmission line (cable) relies on there being no obstacle between the coax conductor and its final recepticle (the tuner interface on your box). The length of the centre pin (coax conductor) usually depends on who made the cable but as a rough approximation the copper should be about flush with the end of the F connector itself.

It can help to remove any tarnish from the centre conductor as copper oxide is an effective insulator. A couple of rubs with fine "wet n dry" will usually give you nice shiny copper.

A lot of engineers try to flatten the end of the copper conducter but this practice should be avoided as it has several adverse implications. Firstly it deforms the RF recepticle making it more likely you will have a problem if you ever disconnect/re-connect the cable. Also, the actual deformation of the conductor can affect the transmission of RF energy. The recepticle expects a round conductor and is tailored for that situation !

Last edited:
Does anyone know if someones compiled a list for the best Tuners on any boxes?

The problem is usually that boxes such as Dbox/Dreambox/Eurovox etc have tuers that are specce'd for European operation which is not quite the same as the spec needed for the UK.

Most of the European cable systems are older than those used in the UK and consequently tend to use higher signal levels. (The newer European systems try to maintain compatability with the old by also using higher signal levels). This leads to the situation where European boxes will work in the UK but only where the signal level is on the high side of normal.

Boosters etc can work BUT in a lot of cases the signal has already dissapeared below the noise threshold for these devices so all that is recovered is noisier noise !

For proper operation these boxes really require a stronger signal from source (ie the green box)

It looks like the signal rp3X got was much too strong.
A 15 db attentuator is a heavy thing.
It makes no sense to think about tuners for such a line.
A weaker attentuator should do the job. A adjustable attentuator should be the best.

<snip>

A weaker attentuator should do the job. A adjustable attentuator should be the best.

like this one £2.99 no postage costs :)
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/coaxial_accessories.htm

Variable TV Attenuator. An in-line metal attenuator (range 5 - 1000MHz) with a switch to vary attenuation strength (from 0 - 20dB). Reduces interference caused by excessive signal strength. Coax plug to socket. Impedance 75 Ohm.

Im not sure why the guy put a 15db "forwarding" attenuator but it did allow the subscribed box to repick up the channels and kick start it again.

My eurovox box has now got even more blocky channels on BBC1-Chan4 while skyone and most other channels are ok.

Its possible cos ive split the downstairs connection to a subscribed box and funcard/pace combo box....

Either way its just so frustrating ! Its still strange how I can use the good ole PACE+Fun boxes and pickup all channels with no missing channels/blockyness.

I guess ill be testing even more over Xmas:(

Last edited:
You need simply the right signal strength.
Every splitter and every meter cable decrease the signal.

cheers for the advice u reckon that Variable TV Attenuator will help out ?

Maybe you should let come in the full signal strength without the 15 db attentuator at the main line and fine tune every single line.
If you adjust the signal at the main line you get different signal levels at the different points in your house.

Thx will give it some goes over the weekend :)

Back