Please Help with sfc \ scannow

blanno

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everybody!,
Ran 'sfc /scannow'. quite early on in the scan requested 'Windows XP Home Ed. Service Pack 3 CD' but I only have 'Windows XP Home Ed. Service Pack 1 CD' and I updated to servicce Pack 3 with Windows Updates.
It Keeps telling me I have the wrong CD, is there a way around this?
My browsers, IE8 & Mozilla Firefox, keep crashing.[especially when running adobe flash palyer but other times when I'm just browsing] My system sometimes crashes now and again, and I get a blue screen and Memory Dump.
Something strange is going on. I've scanned and scanned with 'Prevx' & 'MS security essentials' and there dosen't seem to be an infection.
I also have loads & loads of 'Event ID's' in event viewer -
ID- 64021.
'The system file c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\40\bin\cfgwiz.exe could not be copied into the DLL cache.'
.........and so on for different files that 'could not be copied'????

Any help?? pretty please??
Thanx,

P.S.

Has anyone heared of Sysinternals 'rootkit revealer'?
I ran a scan with this software and I think it made things worse???
Cheers All!!

Last edited:
tried malware bytes. no infections.
I installed a programme called 'Rapport' by trusteer. My bank advised it [it was on the HSBC site] ,but i uninstalled it after 20minutes. I can't remember if this all this started happening before or after I installed this software?
obviously some files and drivers are corrupted and I can't sort it out coz an sfc scan won't except my genuine 'XP Home Ed. CD' coz it's only service pack 1, not 3??? this is what i really need help with.
Cheers

can you not just do a system restore to as far back as you can or a time when you know it was running fine then try the disc again!

i've had system restore off for a while. Last time I got infected A virus got in there and messed about. I havn't had it on since, I didn't think I'd need it coz I got a genuine XP CD i can run sfc scans and repairs. I wasn't expecting the scan not to work.
How much damage Do you rekon re-installing service pk 3 will do. I got the .exe safe, I could do that. When you update to srvce pk 1. then 2. then 3. it dosn't mess up your settings does it? so re-installing should just sort out all the wonky files?

if its the service pack thats messed it up, cant see any harm in trying it again, but go from 1, to 2 then 3 dont just go from 1 to 3 as that will corrupt it i would imagine!

if its the service pack thats messed it up, cant see any harm in trying it again, but go from 1, to 2 then 3 dont just go from 1 to 3 as that will corrupt it i would imagine!
I already have srvcePk3 installed. I was just gonna Re-Install so it replaces corrupt files and what not.
Cheers

1. tried re-installing svcpk3, didnt get all the way through but I think it did some good??
2. Shutdown. opened up PC took RAM out put them back in after 5mins in different order.
3. used the "restore to last good configuration" option a few times.
4. Run CheckDisk couple of times on C: drive and on other HDD's also.
5. run sfc again. this time it asked for my XP home CD [no SvcPk mentioned]. Seems to have worked, at least in part. Did get a lot of errors concerning DLL cache??? I think C:\Windows\system32\DLLcache folder is corrupt??

Don't know what went wrong or if it's all completely right at the moment [waiting for another crash, so far so good] but seems like important files were corrupt and perhaps memory??? I seem to remember it all started with Adobe flash/media player. when ever i was watching something on youtube, veoh, google vidz or whatever, the browser,IE8, would crash. After a while the browser would crash even if I wasn't using an adobe player. downloaded firefox and that was the same. Then the computer crashed, perhaps this unexpected shutdown caused some corruption in a few places??? Ran all kinds of scans MalwareBytes, PrevX, MS security essentials, SuperAntiSpyware, and various online scans - no infection! completley clean!

If anyone has any help or advice, much apreciated.
I have to get a new PC really, but that's not gonna happen very soon.
Skint as ten men.
It has done well, 9years of complete reliability! It would be nice to keep it running smooth,, at least until I get a new Job, so any help??
Thanx.

Hi
im no comp tech, but you can get a free tool from microsoft that will remove all service packs. use the tool if need be install service pack 1 then run yr disk.

or its not my work but u might try To Reinstall Windows Without Losing Anything

How To Reinstall Windows Without Losing Anything

Solution:easy way and tested:

Now you can see what's hidden 1- Start WindowsXP
2- Go to the location of your source files
3- Run WINNT32 /unattend
For example, D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend ( copy & paste this command into the RUN box, then press ENTER ) Your computer will do the rest.

Or,

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
Copy & paste > D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend
Press Enter.
If you have i386 on your drive, you can replace D: ( if D: is your cd drive ) with the location of it.
I've often need to do this to repair something that had gotten corrupted and didn't want to do a clean install.

D: is the driver letter where your windows XP Cd is
if D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend doesn't work then try : d:\winnt32 /unattend.

or its not my work but u might try To Reinstall Windows Without Losing Anything

How To Reinstall Windows Without Losing Anything

Solution:easy way and tested:

Now you can see what's hidden 1- Start WindowsXP
2- Go to the location of your source files
3- Run WINNT32 /unattend
For example, D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend ( copy & paste this command into the RUN box, then press ENTER ) Your computer will do the rest.

Or,

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
Copy & paste > D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend
Press Enter.
If you have i386 on your drive, you can replace D: ( if D: is your cd drive ) with the location of it.
I've often need to do this to repair something that had gotten corrupted and didn't want to do a clean install.

D: is the driver letter where your windows XP Cd is
if D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend doesn't work then try : d:\winnt32 /unattend.

Cheers, I'll try that now.
got sfc working.
Do you rekon it's a virus.?? The symptoms are like a rootkit or something. All the scans I've run though, Prevx, MS security essentials, MalwareBytes, F-secure online scan, BitDefender Online scan and others. Nothing shows up.
But the software that seems to be crashing the most, at the moment is MS security essentials. I keep getting memory and cache errors and it turns itself off. It turns itself back on ok and sometimes it stays on and keeps running other times it'll crash a few times. When looking in taskmanager though, the process using the most pagefile and the most physical memory is this process, MS SE, that keeps crashing, I thaught that maybe why????.
Adobe media/flash player is the 2nd worst for crashing. Memory and cache errors with that also???
Thanx.

Ended Up doing fresh install. Knew I blimin' would!! You spend days and days looking for quicker, easier ways around it, and there's just no such thing. Wipe it clean and start again! ALL over again! and why not, after all I got nothing better to do!
Anyway God knows what was wrong?? I was up all last night waiting for all the windows updates from 2001 to present. I know most of em have been condensed into just 3 different service packs, but there's still a good few hours worth.
Just Incase anyone reads this, I'd still like to hear any suggestions??? I could swear it was an infection because when I run 'Restore to Last good Configuration' It would work OK for a while and then all the drivers and files and cache would get corrupted again?? But why didn't all those scans find a single thing??? Anyone else had any similar experiences give me a shout.
Cheers All!

Back