kook

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Looking to put my pia sub onto my ee router
Is this possible if so is it a simple operation
Thanks

Not possible mate firmware is locked down and the spec of the router would not handle good speeds if you could.

Look at high end Asus routers to get the best results from VPN particularly the models that will run Merlin firmware.

Not possible mate firmware is locked down and the spec of the router would not handle good speeds if you could.

Look at high end Asus routers to get the best results from VPN particularly the models that will run Merlin firmware.
Ok thanks now to look for a new router

Ok thanks now to look for a new router
I got one of these if you're interested. As new, boxed with everything it came with.
I'll put it up in the appropriate section with photos a little later.

I ran it with Merlin and had PIA on it. I had the Virgin Hub 2 at the time and wireless was crap so used this. When I upgraded to the Hub 3 my wireless was better and I have PIA on my Firesticks.
I tried to sell this a while back on Farcebook but it was blocked as a streaming device??? 😂

EDIT.........Just seen you are on a EE router so will be of no use to you.

Last edited:
I got one of these if you're interested. As new, boxed with everything it came with.
I'll put it up in the appropriate section with photos a little later.

I ran it with Merlin and had PIA on it. I had the Virgin Hub 2 at the time and wireless was crap so used this. When I upgraded to the Hub 3 my wireless was better and I have PIA on my Firesticks.
I tried to sell this a while back on Farcebook but it was blocked as a streaming device??? 😂

EDIT.........Just seen you are on a EE router so will be of no use to you.
Just my luck thanjs neway

Better to have it on your devices rather than taking unnecessary hits on your internet speed.
Thanks for the information looks like ill stick with the crap ee router

I run a Asus 86u ive a 200 mb line and with VPN selected i achieve at any time of the day over 150 mb via VPN its on all the time i can live with a loss of 50mb or less for total anonymity .

But the beauty of running my router with Merlin firmware is you can tunnel single items through VPN via the router and leave other equipment going through my ISP . So for example all my dodgy boxes through VPN, phones and my PC when just browsing through the ISP for the full 200mb.My tv running netflix through VPN for cheaper accounts etc. An old mag box through VPN that has no facility to run VPN directly.

Jobs a good UN !

You could just get a Pi and run openvpn on it. As @Ferret said, setup 2 vlans and keep 1 vlan for VPN traffic and the other for normal traffic

You could just get a Pi and run openvpn on it. As @Ferret said, setup 2 vlans and keep 1 vlan for VPN traffic and the other for normal traffic
Sounds complicated are there ne instructions about to do this
Thank you for the info

I run a Asus 86u ive a 200 mb line and with VPN selected i achieve at any time of the day over 150 mb via VPN its on all the time i can live with a loss of 50mb or less for total anonymity .

But the beauty of running my router with Merlin firmware is you can tunnel single items through VPN via the router and leave other equipment going through my ISP . So for example all my dodgy boxes through VPN, phones and my PC when just browsing through the ISP for the full 200mb.My tv running netflix through VPN for cheaper accounts etc. An old mag box through VPN that has no facility to run VPN directly.

Jobs a good UN !
I wasn't aware of that. 😂

The speed difference was more pronounced for me though as I'm on the top speed.

I wasn't aware of that. 😂

The speed difference was more pronounced for me though as I'm on the top speed.
Unsure if the 68u is capable but the 86u running Merlin does. Never had a 68U i was on Nighthawks around the time of that router.

The speed difference would be more pronounced as the 68u has less muscle. Ram and CPU size matter for achieving higher speeds via VPN

Give this a look at mate

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Wow it will take a month of sundays to set up
Looking on dolebay the raspberry pi is dear?

Back