'Pet' Siberian Tiger Mauls Owner To Death

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
An elderly man has died after being mauled by the Siberian tiger he kept at his home in Canada.

Norman Buwalda, 66, was attacked by the 295kg animal after entering a cage to feed it on Sunday afternoon, police in the town of Southwold, Ontario, said.

Officers were called after his body was found by a member of his family, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reported.

"We don't know what prompted the attack at this time, because there were no witnesses," police spokesman PC Troy Carlson said.

"My officers tell me the tiger was pacing back and forth in his pen. If that means it was agitated, I couldn't tell you."

Mr Buwalda, chairman of the Canadian Exotic Animal Owner's Association, was not thought to have been wearing protective clothing.

"He was known in the community for having exotic animals. He also had a second tiger for a time," PC Carlson added.

It was believed he held the legal permits to keep the exotic animal and may have sold others to zoos.

"It is a little strange to keep such wild animals, but everything seems to be in order. I can't say if the tiger will be put down. It's a wild animal, not a pet.

"The circumstances are complex to say whose fault it was at this point."

Mr Buwalda had also spent several years locked in legal fights with his neighbours who had expressed fears about the animals he kept.

Siberian Tiger Mauls Owner To Death: Animal Attacks Norman Buwalda In Southwold, Onatario, Canada | World News | Sky News

It's easy to say who's fault it was, the dickhead who though it would be good fun to have a endangered wild animal as a pet, he deserved what he got. If they put the tiger down that will be the tragedy here. They are called wild animals cos they should be in the wild.

It's easy to say who's fault it was, the dickhead who though it would be good fun to have a endangered wild animal as a pet, he deserved what he got. If they put the tiger down that will be the tragedy here. They are called wild animals cos they should be in the wild.
well said mate hit the nail on the head!

Surely they cant put this wild animal down .....
Its a tiger ffs , of course its bloody vicious !!

Ashame but it will probably end up being put down even though it is a wild animal doing what comes naturally. Problem now is that its unlikely anyone else will take it. Zoo's etc will rarely take wild animals that are known to of killed and its unlikely it can be released back to the wild.

"We don't know what prompted the attack at this time, because there were no witnesses," police spokesman PC Troy Carlson said.

Ehhh,,let me take a wild stab at this one!!
Could it be that its a "TIGER".

Hardly a job for Columbo....

Back