Pet shop owner fined £1,000 and told to wear an electronic tag for selling a goldfish

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
a fooking Goldfish!

Her offence was to unwittingly sell a goldfish to a 14-year-old boy taking part in a trading standards 'sting'.
At most, pet shop owner Joan Higgins, 66, expected a slap on the wrist for breaking new animal welfare laws which ban the sale of pets to under-16s.
Instead, the great-grandmother was taken to court, fined £1,000, placed under curfew - and ordered to wear an electronic tag for two months.
Seven-week curfew: Joan Higgins has to wear an electronic tag
The punishment is normally handed out to violent thugs and repeat offenders.
The prosecution of Mrs Higgins and her son Mark is estimated to have cost taxpayers £20,000 and has left her with a criminal record.
Mark, 47, was also fined and ordered to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work in the community.
Last night, as an MP criticised the magistrates, Mrs Higgins - who has run the pet shop for 28 years - said the family's eight-month ordeal had left them traumatised.

She added: 'It's ridiculous. I mean, what danger am I that I have to wear an electronic tag? These last few months have been a very stressful time.'
The seven-week curfew imposed by the court means she is unable to babysit her great-grandson at his home or go to bingo sessions with her sister, and will be unable to attend a Rod Stewart concert after tickets were bought for her by her nephew, actor Will Mellor.
Joan Higgins, 66, and her son Mark, 47, have both been ordered to pay fines after selling a goldfish to a 14-year-old boy
Her son said: 'I think it's a farce. What gets me so cross is that they put my Mum on a tag - she's nearly 70, for goodness' sake.
'She's a great-grandma so she won't be able to babysit a newborn baby. You would think they have better things to do with their time and money.'
Mr Higgins claimed the undercover operation was a clear case of entrapment - when a person is encouraged by someone in some official capacity to commit a crime - and said the case should never have gone to court.

He said: 'The council sent the 14-year-old in to us. It is hard to tell how old a lad is these days. He looked much older than 14.'
He added that his mother almost fainted in the dock when magistrates told her she could go to prison for the offence.
'I told her they wouldn't send her to prison but she was still worried,' he said. 'The only other time she has been in court is when she did jury service.'
Majors Pet shop in Sale, Greater Manchester, owned by Joan and Mark Higgins
Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 it is illegal to sell pets - including goldfish - to children under the age of 16 unless they are accompanied by an adult. Pet shops must also provide advice on animal welfare to buyers.
The maximum penalty is imprisonment for up to 12 months, or a fine of up to £20,000, or both.
The Higgins family's ordeal began when council officials heard that Majors Pet Shop in Sale, Greater Manchester, was selling animals to children.
They sent the 14-year-old schoolboy into the shop to carry out a test purchase and Mr Higgins sold him the goldfish without questioning his age or providing any information about the care of the fish.
A council officer in the shop at the time also noticed a cockatiel in a cage that appeared to be in a poor state of health. A vet found the bird had a broken leg and eye problems. It was later put down.

INSANE!

Re: Pet shop owner fined £1,000 and told to wear an electronic tag for selling a gold

She should have got at least a year's jail, the laws far too soft on dangerous criminals like this. :proud:

The worlds gone feckin mad. :Angryfire

:Cheers:

Re: Pet shop owner fined £1,000 and told to wear an electronic tag for selling a gold

hasn't it though? or is it just this country.....

Does that mean you can't win goldfish at the local fair :Fish::Fish::Fish:

pure nonsense...........yep world gone mad

yes mate that stopped years ago.....

I have no idea who is responsible for monitoring trading standards, but whoever it it ought to pull these barstewards in and mark their cards for wasting valuable resources setting up a sting on a old woman for selling a feckin :Fish: to a minor, get after the real criminals ya bunch of pr***s. :Angryfire

:Cheers:

A child of 14 used by the council for this sting.

What did they pay him? Does he have a national insurance number?

If hes old enough to "work" for a council then he is old enough to own a f*cking goldfish.

Apparently the 14 year old they used as the stooge to set her up was about 6ft tall, so understandable that she didn't think to question his age.

Sad state of affairs where an old lady is tagged for selling a poxy fish while other serious criminals get justice that doesn't begin to compare...

they should be out catching real criminals ffs

and i pay tax for this?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

article-1262250-08EFDF35000005DC-391_468x344.jpg

i thought april the 1st was tomorrow?? this just shows how pathetic the justice system in this country has become

with the thing about goldfish in fairs, me and the missus won one in neaths september fair last year

they were talking about that on jeremy vine earlier.

it seems fairs can give away goldfish to anyone they like.
the law that applies to pet shops doesn't apply to fairs because they don't charge for the goldfish.

funny old world innit.

Press at it again.. They have failed to tell anyone that this same women sold a gerbil to a young boy with learning dificulties who later went home and dropped it from height..

The law is the law.. She's obv ignorning the rules and she's been punished..

She broke the law. Trading standards prob had good reason to investigate her shop, they don't do these things on a whim.

I remember trying to buy a couple of goldfish for my daughter a few years ago. I was asked if I had a suitable tank , as i was standing with a tank kit under my arm I replied yes and pointed to it only for the assistant to tell me sorry i can't sell you any fish today You'll have to come back after your tank has been set up for a min 24 hours. Try explaining that to a 5 year old tugging at your sleeve saying thats the fish I want daddy. I just nipped round to the garden centre and bought a couple no questions asked.

thebigman

If she sold several animals to several different children with varying disabilities.... It tagging her seems a little on the excessive side surely.. We all agree, that the law is the law, but in this case it seems to show that the law is an ass.

Back