pc wont boot

Jackel

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I said i would look at a mates PC its a median quad core with 3 GB of ram it has vista on it, now the problem is it just wont boot up then gets blue screen and crashes. I have run chk/dsk no errors on HD, here is what i have done

checked ram and reseated
tried different psu
tried different graphics card
tried running with bare minimum running

so ive taken hd out and put in my pc booted up first time, done a couple of malware scans and a reg scan, then put hd back in same problem.

Here are a couple of the warnings

bad system config info

file possibly corrupt its header checksum does not match the computed checksum

kernal missing or corrupt

Also BSD 0xc0000428
0xc0000001
0xc000014c
hope someone can shine some light for me i hope the Motherboard isnt goosed as i am leaning towards this.

Have you tried to load it up in safe mode, this will stop all drivers from loading as it may be a corrupt driver,might not have been required on your system,,,can not think of anything more part from trying to Restore it or as a last Ditch effort full format

Have you tried to load it up in safe mode, this will stop all drivers from loading as it may be a corrupt driver,might not have been required on your system,,,can not think of anything more part from trying to Restore it or as a last Ditch effort full format

Yes tried that mate dont want to do a format if i can help it. Pretty stumped tbh.

I said i would look at a mates PC its a median quad core with 3 GB of ram it has vista on it, now the problem is it just wont boot up then gets blue screen and crashes. I have run chk/dsk no errors on HD, here is what i have done

checked ram and reseated
tried different psu
tried different graphics card
tried running with bare minimum running

so ive taken hd out and put in my pc booted up first time, done a couple of malware scans and a reg scan, then put hd back in same problem.

Here are a couple of the warnings

bad system config info

file possibly corrupt its header checksum does not match the computed checksum

kernal missing or corrupt

Also BSD 0xc0000428
0xc0000001
0xc000014c
hope someone can shine some light for me i hope the Motherboard isnt goosed as i am leaning towards this.

Is the device out of warranty?

got a spare HD then? try a quick rebuild on a spare hard disk.
Agreed, as it is starting to sound like a motherboard issue from what you've ruled out so far.

Off the top of my head it might be worth trying:

• Note down the relevant settings in the BIOS and reset the CMOS.
  • Though it might also be worth running the hard drive through a S.M.A.R.T. test. SeaTools is probably the most well know, but there is a basic one built into SpeedFan.
  • Also run the old favourite of Memtest86+

Last edited:
got a spare HD then? try a quick rebuild on a spare hard disk.

what do you mean mate i have spare sata drive its only 80gb though his drive is 1tb of which he has about 250 260 gb of files/data.

I was thinking of putting windows 7 on it but feel its pointless if his MB is goosed.

@ little pob i will look into your suggestions with the cmos reset i take it i just remove the battery for a couple of mins.

I really dont think the HD is at fault but still worth a shot i suppose.

80gb is fine, just chuck win7 on it, see how it runs.

defo a good to reset the bios to defaults or even update the bios

No joy at all with this, i tried putting windows 7 on a different HD but same sketch just crashes with BSD before i can get anywhere, i reset the bios also and even tried a different dvd drive all to no avail.

its got me stumped anymore ideas out there.

u say reseated RAM - have u swapped for different stuff?

otherwise, all thats left is mobo or processor - more than likely mobo

u say reseated RAM - have u swapped for different stuff?

otherwise, all thats left is mobo or processor - more than likely mobo

No i havent swapped it as i dont have any pc2 5300 sticks, just taken out tried running with 1gb stick then 2gb stick and different slots vice versa.

Yes im thinking mobo myself .

Is this the Intel or AMD Medion? Both LGA775 and AM2+/3 boards can be had reasonably priced at the moment...

Any DDR2 should work.

yes its the Intel model i have already let him know i can pick a board up quite cheap off ebay, so dont think i can do much more really.

cheers LP and MOS for your input.

Last edited:
you could try linux puppy on a memory stick, very small OS.
that way it will give you access to the HDD to remove data or just see if you can get something working.

Back