PC, or standalone Media Streamer?

Dazza

Inactive User
Reaction score
Been really, really, toying with the idea of getting a Streamer. Xtreamer is probably top of the list, but could be persuaded with an alternative, but I like the Wireless N on it, and I want to be able to embed a HDD in, not use a USB HDD as the extra storage.

However, thinking a bit more about it, I've got the lads PC in the lounge, which is Xover wired to the DBox and has Wifi N which delivers well on that side of things.

It's not anywhere near a Media Centre, but it's dual core, 2gb RAM and plenty of storage while running W7 Ultimate. Would it be worth tweaking the PC and using that, or just stick to the XT idea...?

Thoughts welcome.

well i was in the same situation as yourself had a dual core computer that could play 1080p files but it didnt look right set up next to the tv so i went with an ac ryan planon! hd takes an internal hdd if you want so i stuck in a 1.5tb 3.5" and havent looked back so for me the stand alone option was best

well i was in the same situation as yourself had a dual core computer that could play 1080p files but it didnt look right set up next to the tv so i went with an ac ryan planon! hd takes an internal hdd if you want so i stuck in a 1.5tb 3.5" and havent looked back so for me the stand alone option was best

Got a link mate please, and how much did it set you back?

If it takes 3.5" drives I got them here, so I wouldn't need to splash out on a laptop 2.5" HDD like I would if I went for the XT...

stand alone media player all day and night leave computer for computing "jack of all trades master of non" springs to mind anything that needs to be constantly tweaked was never meant to just sit and relax to watch a movie with (XBMC) was a way for teanagers to watch movies on their XBOX not for adult entertainment with friends

edogg

Have you seen how advanced XBMC actually is? There isnt a media centre out there that can compete with it regardless of what you say.

Horses for courses I suppose. Personally the WD player does everything I would ever need from a media player. It's tiny, it's quiet, and it plays everything.

Never liked MediaPortal find it sluggish and annoying... Might have changed more recently but the XBMC skins available now are great for HDtvs Skins | XBMC

screenshot000.jpg

screenshot001.jpg

Have you seen how advanced XBMC actually is? There isnt a media centre out there that can compete with it regardless of what you say.

And probably never will be one to compete with it. It has been around for so long and keeps getting better. The newer media players are only starting out but some are making good strides. They will never catch up with XMBC though.

Personally I like the Xtreamer, I like a media player to work well but it also has to look good. The Xtreamer has a bit of work to do but there are plenty working on it. Unfortunately it isn't full open source and that slows down its developement.

I havent seen the Xtreamer in action yet but have heard many positives about it. I have been waiting years to have a machine to run xbmc with full HD and the acer revo as made that happen with the atom chip so im over the moon. Just ordered another 1gb ram and will run dual boot system with Win7 and 10gb partition for XBMC Live :)

Two machines in one cant go wrong for the price!

personally i want to watch the movie not sit looking at a pretty interface, and any program that needs constantly messing with is for techs not for just watching TV

edogg

Personally I like the Xtreamer, I like a media player to work well but it also has to look good. The Xtreamer has a bit of work to do but there are plenty working on it. Unfortunately it isn't full open source and that slows down its developement.

Pretty much exactly why I bought it. (Ordered today) That, and it does what I want, and I've seen it in the flesh, so to speak.

Can't wait...! :)

I havent seen the Xtreamer in action yet but have heard many positives about it. I have been waiting years to have a machine to run xbmc with full HD and the acer revo as made that happen with the atom chip so im over the moon. Just ordered another 1gb ram and will run dual boot system with Win7 and 10gb partition for XBMC Live :)

Xtreamer is good but NO xbmc, it lacks a good movie jukebox but we are expecting that around March. It will probably mean a new GUI so who knows what is in the pipeline.

I have looked at other options but XT suits me the best (thx Thommo), he recommended it.

I did consider a Revo, especially as it can be attached to back of lcd but the XT advert swayed me. Would I have bought an XT if I had known it wasn't what it advertised...probably not but I am glad I dd buy it, it is progressing very nicely for such a young product.

Will it ever be as good as xbmc, I dont think so but I hope it comes close.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on your new toy Dazza. Do keep us posted on the pro's and con's of the Xtreamer.

can I just download xbmc and install it on my laptop and I will have a media player? surely it isnt that simple? excuse my ignorance but I dont know much about this and xbmc seems cheap in simple.
are there any online tuts? I have a duel core lap top and an lg 32lh7000

Did you ever do this??

Why dual boot my win7 runs XBMC just fine hit a button on my remote it starts it hit another it kills it :)

Nice little wireless keyboard with glide pad all hooked up to my Denon.

can I just download xbmc and install it on my laptop and I will have a media player? surely it isnt that simple? excuse my ignorance but I dont know much about this and xbmc seems cheap in simple.
are there any online tuts? I have a duel core lap top and an lg 32lh7000

Yes you can just get it and it will run as an app you don't need to run it as Live if you don't want too :)

XBMC.org is where you will get all tuts but seriously you wont need them :) its simple!

Back