pc hangs for about 2 minutes before starting up

gasman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Pc Hangs For 2 Minutes Before Starting

Hi all i am seeking help with my pc which i recently reinstalled windows xp on. I installed using an original xp disk and everything went fine. When i first started the pc it was fine but now it runs the windows logo screen and just before it goes to the user names screen it just hangs on a black screen for about two minutes. The pc runs fine after this but omg its annoying when you want to do a quick reboot after installing something. Im running a pentium 4 2.00ghz proccesor on a fic v113i mainboard with 512 mb ram and a 128mb ati radeon graphics card. Ive ran xp on this system for ages without problems and installed using the same disk ive had for years. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance MRP

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's trying to run something during startup.

If you click START > RUN and type msconfig then go to the startup tab, it will show you what applications are being loaded at startup.

You could also do a system restore back to a time when you know it booted ok, start installing your applications again and monitor it and see when it starts to slow again.

I would also run an antispyware program just to be on the safe side, i.e. Spyware Doctor, Spybot, etc.

I had this problem, it is a hardware conflict.

Try disabling things like soundcards, network cards, tv cards, that kinda stuff

and then restart, and see if it still happens.

Once you find out what it is, you can remove it and replace it from something from ebay.

Thanks devilfish but i tried that going right back to when windows was installed without succes. Think that wakeup might have something though i have added a new sound card and a network card since the install. Ill try removing them one by one and use the mainboards own adapters and see if that rights my wrongs. Cheers guys

Unbelievable took a wild guess and uninstalled and removed the sound card and BINGO xp booted in under a minute. Thanks again guys guess that teaches me not to buy cheap crap ill take this card back and spend that extra 20 notes i couldnt bring myself to part with on a decent one.

It you boot options mat need to change to boot order to be 1st boot hd and not to boot fro a the cdrom and ten usbs then hd, also if you have norton it cause the machine to be slow but not that slow

Back