PayPal asking for ID

Oggiman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got legit email from PayPal saying account has been restricted, so no monies in or out. No explanation as to why. Confirmed the request is legitimate in my PayPal account app. They want me to upload photo ID and proof of address.
I only use PayPal for online purchases. All account activity serms normal, no odd looking recent transactions. Been PayPal account holder since they first became EBay preferred payment method.
Anyone else had this before or any advice appreciated?

Will be a scam m8 just ignore , and don't give any information out !!!!!!!

@spud1966

I've logged into my PayPal web and mobile app account and there is a banner message in there saying account restricted, so looks legit. I'm used to identifying phishing scam emails.

Screenshot_20220830-201730_PayPal.jpg

Last edited:
mmmmm give them a phone call tomorrow m8 as the phone line will be off-line now ?

Yep...Will do. I'll provide the info if they give reasonable reason.

You have a limit on the amount of money you can receive in total through your PayPal account. You have been using it for a long time so may be approaching the €2,500 limit. Possibly why they are asking for the extra ID checks.

I only receive about £50 a year into PayPal and the balance is usually Zero? Last payment out was 2 weeks ago to Samsung Direct for a TV, payment via approved bank account.
Usually just Amazon or EBay purchases.

If, however, you realize your account has been limited, log in to your PayPal account and visit the Resolution Center to review details of why your account has been limited. This is also where you’ll find the requested information from PayPal. Requests will vary depending on the issue but some possibilities are:
Invoices from your suppliers
Information about payments
Proof of shipment, tracking information, and buyers’ information
Proof of address
Proof of identity

The Resolution Center only says what account activities have been restricted to and links to upload the requested ID. No other info.
Time for phone call in morning.

So, spoke to some Irish guy at PayPal. Asked why account was limited. Was advised a support ticket would be raised and response was usually around 3 hours. Got a waste of time email saying my ticket was reviewed and just re-requesting the photo ID and proof of address. No explanation. :mad:

I had the same issue some years ago, only ever use PayPal for purchases, never got an answer from PayPal to why
I gave up in the end and close the account, never looked back.

I had the same issue some years ago, only ever use PayPal for purchases, never got an answer from PayPal to why
I gave up in the end and close the account, never looked back.
@copex

Do you use a similar payment method that gives purchase protection or just credit card pay.ent?

I used a revolute card, and now I use a sterling bank card. I only ever had a PayPal account for eBay, in my experiences PayPals protection is not worth the paper it is printed on....

I always use a credit card for more expensive spends as the protection is very good imo.
Also eBay offer different payments methods now which is helpful.

Back