Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10

idrob

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10

Windows activation is alive and well in Windows 10. Microsoft doesn't like to talk about the inner workings of its anti-piracy software, but it's clear from testing that Windows 10 included a major change in the way activation works.

Windows product keys are almost (but not quite) a thing of the past.

Microsoft has rewritten the rules for how it performs product activation

The biggest change of all is that the Windows 10 activation status for a device is stored online. After you successfully activate Windows 10 for the first time, that device will activate automatically in the future, with no product key required.

That's a huge change from previous versions of Windows, which required a product key for every installation. And it's potentially an unwelcome surprise for anyone who tries to do a clean install of Windows 10 without understanding the new activation landscape.

Microsoft is characteristically shy about discussing the details of activation. That's understandable, because every detail the company provides about its anti-piracy measures offers information that its attackers can use.

But it's also frustrating, because Microsoft's customers who use Windows don't want to have to think about activation. The Windows PC you paid for, and the free upgrade you spent time installing, should just work.

Your Windows 10 license is stored online and linked to your device.

For more than a decade, one of the keys that Microsoft's activation servers have relied on is a unique ID, which is based on a hash of your hardware. That hash is reportedly not reversible and not tied to any other Microsoft services. So although it defines your device, it doesn't identify you.

Here's how that ID works with Windows 7 or Windows 8:

When you activate for the first time, that hashed value (let's call it your installation ID) is recorded in the activation database alongside the product key you entered with the installation. Later, when you reinstall the same edition of Windows on the same hardware, with the same product key, it's activated automatically. (Conversely, if you try to use that product key on a different machine with a different hardware ID, you'll probably be denied activation.)

Windows 10 goes one very large step further.

When you upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, the Windows 10 setup program checks your current activation status and reports the result to the activation servers. If you're "genuine" (that is, properly activated), the Windows activation server generates a Windows 10 license certificate (Microsoft calls it a "digital entitlement") and stores it in conjunction with your installation ID and the version you just activated (Home or Pro).
It didn't need a product key to do that activation. All it needed was the proof from the Software Licensing Manager utility that your underlying activation was legit.

You can now wipe that hard disk completely, boot from Windows 10 installation media, and install a squeaky clean copy.

The Setup program asks you to enter a product key, but in a major change from Windows 8 and 8.1, it allows you to skip entering that key.

You'll be asked to enter that key a second time, later in setup, but you can skip past that box as well. When you finish the reinstall, assuming you used the same Windows 10 version on that hardware, you'll find it's automatically activated.

I've tested this scenario on multiple machines, and the result has been consistent:

Step 1: I booted from Windows 10 installation media, a USB flash drive prepared by the Windows 10 Media Creation tool, and tried a clean install on a system that had never been activated for Windows 10. I skipped both prompts to enter a product key. Result? My system failed activation.

Step 2: I reset the machine with its original, activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and then ran the Windows 10 online upgrade. At the end of the process, I confirmed that Windows 10 was properly activated.

Step 3: I then wiped the hard drive clean and used the exact same media as in Step 1 to do a clean install of Windows 10. As before, I skipped the product key entry. I used a Microsoft account in one test and used a local account in another. After the installation was complete, the system showed that it had a properly activated copy of Windows 10.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Hi Rob I liked the post as I have a pc and the key has wiped away from the sticker so at least I know that it wont install? So I will have to sort that out now hmm

I have a genuine retail version of windows seven which I used to upgrade to windows 8 and then to windows 10.

I am going to do a completely new build next year,

so this means I can install my original windows 7 and then upgrade to windows 10 on my new build and windows 10 will activate ok

am I right :)

I have a genuine retail version of windows seven which I used to upgrade to windows 8 and then to windows 10.

I am going to do a completely new build next year,

so this means I can install my original windows 7 and then upgrade to windows 10 on my new build and windows 10 will activate ok

am I right :)

As long as you haven't used that particular version of win 7 to activate on another machine then yes that is correct

But you say you already activated win 10 on an existing machine

So the answer is no, you are only entitled to activate one copy of win 10 from one copy of win 7

Having said that, my win 10 is activated and I didn’t even have a legitimate copy of win 8

So I guess there are some loopholes you may be able to get through

Last edited:
but as my windows 7 was a retail version which means I could install this version as many times I wanted to upgrade my machine
as long as it was only activated once at anytime . so effectively my retail version of win7 has now been converted to an OEM version of windows which is tied to the motherboard ! am I right ???

but as my windows 7 was a retail version which means I could install this version as many times I wanted to upgrade my machine
as long as it was only activated once at anytime . so effectively my retail version of win7 has now been converted to an OEM version of windows which is tied to the motherboard ! am I right ???

I am not sure but I think because your retail win 7 entitles you to install on multiple machines but only one at a time.

When you’ve built your new computer, you might have to phone MS to deactivate your existing machine and activate your new one.

I am not sure but I think because your retail win 7 entitles you to install on multiple machines but only one at a time.

When you’ve built your new computer, you might have to phone MS to deactivate your existing machine and activate your new one.

ill give it ago and see what happens when the time comes :)

thanks Mr Drob .......

I'm easily confused so it seems,wish I had never upgraded at all...:(

Good luck trying to activate from 8.1 on a clean install they won't give you activation and trying to call and sort it out results in them hanging up on you. They wonder why people pirate it.

you are supposed to upgrade first, get activated and then do a clean install

No need to phone MS at all

yes that's all well and good I would do that as well but my dell key on the back of my laptop has the last 8 or 9 letters or numbers rubbed off as it was printed on a laminated sticker and I cant check as the hard drive stopped working and I had to put on a new one thanks anyone got any answers.

yes that's all well and good I would do that as well but my dell key on the back of my laptop has the last 8 or 9 letters or numbers rubbed off as it was printed on a laminated sticker and I cant check as the hard drive stopped working and I had to put on a new one thanks anyone got any answers.

If your win 7 or 8.1 is legitimate you don't need your key to upgrade and then clean install

When you upgrade win 10 will detect if its genuine or not

But not knowing your key is not a problem either, just click on the little blue icon and use "Check product key" compatible with Win 7, 8 and Win 10 to get you key

Check product key
compatible with Win 7, 8 and Win 10

Back