Pardew takes over at crisis club Charlton

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pardew takes over at crisis club Charlton
Sun 24 Dec, 7:56 PM

LONDON (AFP) - Former West Ham manager Alan Pardew was named as the new manager of struggling Premiership side Charlton replacing Les Reed who had only been in charge since November.

Pardew, who was sacked by West Ham earlier this month, signed a three-and-a-half-year deal and becomes the south London club's third manager this season.

Reed was promoted from the role of assistant manager in mid-November when Iain Dowie lost his job with the Addicks bottom of the Premiership but has failed to turn their fortunes around during his month at the helm.

Dowie had taken over from Alan Curbishley who has since replaced Pardew at West Ham.

"Les Reed has left his position as Charlton's head coach by mutual consent," the club announced in a statement.

"Alan Pardew will take charge of the Addicks, and has signed a three-and-a-half year contract.

"The club is making no further comment at this time, but will be holding a press conference at its Sparrows Lane training ground at 1.30pm on Boxing Day (Tuesday)."

Reed, a former Football Association technical director, watched his side slip to a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of fellow strugglers Middlesbrough on Saturday and that was the final straw for the Charlton board.

The loss left the club second from bottom of the table and seven points from safety.

Reed said after Saturday's defeat, their fourth home defeat this season, that he was determined to restore the club's fortunes.

"We have just got to be determined and we will be straight back on the training ground on Sunday morning. We have got to put this one to bed then move on," he said.

"There is time left and there are others under pressure as well so I am sure things will change around. I am aware each time I say that there is another game gone - but we just have to keep believing."

Pardew will take charge of his first match at The Valley on Wednesday against Fulham.

i think thats a mistake i could be wrong but if you are a side strugling to win points how can you get faith in a manager thats been sacked for not delevering in the same season ?

i hope im wrong i like pardew and think hes done really well for the hammers and was a bit unfortunate to get sacked even though now i think westham have a really good manager and can do really well.

i just cant see the players getting alot of faith from a man whos been sacked for under performing and not driving his team but i do think pardew is a good manager

Regards
Mickie D

Reed should have known his job was under threat as soon as he got the vote of confidence from the chairman

pardew will have a tough time at charlton a dnt hink they will stay up this year but a hink they will onli b 1 season in the championship

Back