origional xbox power board

dictap

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all, a friend of mine has an original black xbox (chipped). the power board developed a fault so bought another box off fleabay with the intent of swapping power boards over. i've got the boxes now to sort but the power board in this "new" box is different (different parts set out and coloured wires in different order on main plug) so im going to take a guess that this cannot be used to fix his box.
My other option, seeing as this is a good working box, would be to take the chip off his box, and chip the "new" one. its a plug in chip with 2 wires coming off it, one screwed to top of mb and a thinner one leading underneath. is this a viable option, would it work ? thanks for any replies

has the chip got a name on it or can you takes some pic of it ,so we can work out what chip it is ,,might be on a pin-header

il have a look at the chip shortly, someone at work seems to think if the mb's are exactly the same i should be ok to use that new power supply on the old box

here's the chip

Last edited:
I do not recognize the chip sorry, if I was in the same position as you, I would buy a new chip there are only about 20 pounds , if you cannot identify the original chip this would be the best option as their are a few different motherboards and some chips will not fit on some versions

here is a link to some mods chips

Mod Chip World - Xbox Mod Chips

and here is the link to find out what ver motherboard you have

Mod Chip World - Step by Step Xbox Version Detection

you might get lucky and some nice member on here will recognize the original chip

I am sure there is a softmod out for the original Xbox this would save you money in not having to buy a new chip

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/116978/

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah as already stated just soft mod it all you need is original splinter cell and a memory card
i haven't done one in time but im sure i still got the files knocking around
and it only takes 10 mins to do if that

thanks for your replies on this, never chipped or soft modded an xbox before so all new ground to me

Back