Mobile Phones Orange and T-Mobile merge networks

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Orange and T-Mobile merge networks

BBC News - Orange and T-Mobile merge networks

The deal will initially only apply to text messages and voice calls Customers of Orange and T-Mobile will soon be able to hop between the two mobile networks.

The deal is one of the first practical benefits from the recent merger of the two firms, which have 30 million customers combined.

The network sharing deal is limited to 2G signals, meaning that customers will see little benefit when using the mobile web.

Analysts said that T-Mobile had the most to gain from the merger.

"Outside of the South-East [of England] there has been a constant perception that T-Mobile is an underperforming network," said Shaun Collins of research firm CCS Insight.

Continue reading the main story
Related stories
Mobile phones get cyborg vision
T-Mobile and Orange in UK merger
"This literally takes it away overnight."

Network evolution

He said that network coverage was becoming a "key battleground" between the major UK networks.

"The network coverage advantages of the merger [between Orange and T-Mobile] were always the most important part of it," he said.

Customers of the two firms will have to sign up for the free "roaming" service, which goes live on 5 October.

Once registered, their phone will automatically hop between the networks when it loses signal. The underlying system is similar to that used when a phone "roams" on a different network abroad.

Next year Everything Everywhere - the company that runs Orange and T-Mobile in the UK - said that phones would automatically switch to whichever of the two networks has the strongest signal mid-call.

It said it also plans to roll it out to 3G services.

When it does, Orange customers will be able to use a 3G network owned and operated by Mobile Broadband Network Limited (MBNL), a joint venture company owned by Three and T-Mobile.

Orange joined MBNL on the 16 August.

"Everything Everywhere will be adding Orange sites to the network it shares with Three in the course of time, and Three customers will get access to a significant proportion of those as they are added," said a spokesperson for Everything Everywhere.

Three customers are already able to use the Orange network for 2G calls and texts.

Further down the line, Everything Everywhere aims to start building a next-generation LTE (long-term evolution) mobile network, to cope with the surge in demand for data and the mobile web.

LTE offers faster speeds than current 3G networks and is able to handle more traffic.

The UK government plans to hold an auction of spectrum for next generation services in 2011.

As mentioned above
Customers of the two firms will have to sign up for the free "roaming" service, which goes live on 5 October.

T-Mobile customers here

Orange customers here
HH.

Was looking at the sign up for this but your just testing your phone for them and any problems your basically screwed until they sort them out. I'd personally avoid signing up with them on this until they have it fully working next year and you get transferred automatically.

Yep thats what I found out when I signed out, There are various quirks as they are called that will affect you in some way. It seems most manufacturers are affected but I would say the same maybe not to sign up especially if you are using latest handsets with android etc on them.

Not having any problems with my HTC touch. Finally get signal through the whole house. Changing between orange and t-mobile with no problems..

If anyone does have a problem all phones have the option to manually choose the network, you can simply choose Orange. - Just remember to change it back to auto if your roaming as you wont connect to any other networks.

I got a text from a number which i dont know 2121 asking thanking me for signing up to this but i havent signed up for it and it also asked me to reply yes to the text to confirm. i havent done so but has anyone else had it or does anyone know anything about it. i'm on orange contract.

many thanks in advance guys.

thats the same number i got it from as well. i did sign up tho. this is very good news for me as at work i used to get zero signal with t mobile.

i am a bit surprised that the competition commission hasnt stepped in.

this is good news. my phone always cuts out at home its like a farraday cage hope this helps. cheers for the info guys

Yep after you sign up on the site then u get a message from 2121 which you have to reply too.

I have done it too :)

i have signed up cos my orange service cant get any worse

it takes ages to connect when dialing

i am one of those on an 18 month contract with unlimited landline calls and 400 anytime minutes for £10 a month

signed up and not noticed anything other than the call connects much quicker now

this merger has been going on since the beginning of the year from what i remember

basically orange will incorporate tmobile deals and trade under the orange brand still

Greetings,1st time poster here.
My contract with Tmobile is due to expire soon.I have recently moved house & had all sorts of problems obtaining a signal.To cut a long story short TMobile cut my bill in half & transferred me to the Orange network which has been excellent.
With the merger (I still want to keep same number) with an upgrade will I get the same signal as I am considering an iPhone ? I could switch to O2 as there is no problem here with their signal.
Just after some advice from those that are in the "know" thanks in anticipation

So either stay with T-Mobile/Orange or move to O2. If your heart's set on an iPhone just go with whoever offers the best deal for you. Changing network & keeping your number is not an issue, request a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) from T-Mobile just before your contract ends & give it to the new network. Simples.
HH.

have often wondered if 3 and orange are affiliated, cuz living here in belfast i have on quite a number of occassions switched signal from 3 to orange. Strange.

is orange not part of the hutchison group? the same peeps who brings us three.

I aint 100% but I would say no. Simply because Orange used to be France Telecom, and was then privatised to become Orange.

T-mobile was Deutsch Telecom, but again was sold during privatisation.

Vodafone was the orignal buyer of the company, but that was stopped by the MMC, it was then that Orange stepped in, and offered to buy the company. I dont think the MMC can step in, as neither company are British, unlike Vodafone. Could be wrong though.

Back