OpenPli 4.0 Daily Builds on V2 Solo 2?

DarrylJ

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Do you know if these will be fine?

Or would it be a case of try it and find out?

Problem is, I will be receiving a V2 solo - but I don't have a serial port on any computer if anything were to get really messed up.

Cheers

If you're going to be getting a v2 then why the worry about serial ports?

Just thinking with regards to drivers. If I get nightly builds... Surely a clone isn't necessarily safe? Just a query as to whether someone has tried nightly builds released today for example.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Updating drivers doesn't need a box update via serial cable.

Currently, the latest drivers released by Vu on the 18/03/2014 work with a v2 box. In terms of the future, you're talking about things that may happen which nobody can predict.

Maybe if you're that worried about it then a clone may not be for you and you should consider getting an original?

i dont understand these nighly updates on openpli 4.0 you really gonna everyday run a update, bet you wont notice anything different, i understand good 3-6 months down the line might see something noticeable added ,

Ah I won't do them nightly. I'll just get the latest for my box at the time and keep that. But it's the first image I'll be putting on as it's what I have now you see on my 800hd se

I'm new to the v2. Guess it's the same type of thing as the 2.1 sim when that came out as the v2 I have? Again.. Not fully sure of it all but have a good enough understanding.

i used to use openpli myself, till i tried vix image and never went back to any other image, love vix image :)

I'll be honest I only ever update if I can see something that's been fixed and therefore worth updating, if not then I normally give it a miss until the next. The OpenPLi nightly updates are for those actively involved with developing and testing the image as far as I know so if that's what you want to do then that's fine but there's always the danger that at some point an update will include a driver update that stops the box from booting.

Yeah that's a fair point. I'm not one for developing. I was just wondering how late of image I'd dare out on. So figured I'd ask if anyone else had put any of them on. I might try a via image. Much difference? It's the skin I'd be interested in. If I could get same skin as what's on my 800se now I'd be laughing. It is called "vali. HD. Atlantis "

At the moment the latest version of Vix Zeus works so there I'd assume that the current variants of BH and OpenPLi would alos work.

As for the skin, I used to use LT6 HD on my old dm800se and when I got a Duo clone I spent ages trying to find and then getting LT6 HD working. Certainly for ViX not all skins will work and in the end I decided that the default skin which comes with ViX is fine. This default skin is dark so I've lightened it up to be more gray than black and added a few tweaks here and there and now use that.

Unless you've seen the default skin you won't really know the differences but I've attached some pics of my customised skin.

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

Ah yeah. I don't mind that at all in fairness. One thing I do like with the skin I have... Is it says how longs left when you go onto a program. Simple to know that already I suppose. Certainly channel and what's on in different colours is a must for me though. Looks good

If you mean on the main infobar the ViX skin also does this via both the blue-ish bar and the +10 (10 minutes left) indication.

The bouquet screen which lists all the channels, the bar shows what is left but I've not really found a good colour combination that shows that bar off properly and you're also limited by the defaults of the skins so what I've done is really the best compromise I could come up with.

i dont understand these nighly updates on openpli 4.0 you really gonna everyday run a update, bet you wont notice anything different, i understand good 3-6 months down the line might see something noticeable added ,

A nightly build is exactly that..it is not a build that implements updates or changes that is done within image in the box it is a bot build ie built by a computer automatically and posted automatically.

Ah I won't do them nightly. I'll just get the latest for my box at the time and keep that. But it's the first image I'll be putting on as it's what I have now you see on my 800hd se

I'm new to the v2. Guess it's the same type of thing as the 2.1 sim when that came out as the v2 I have? Again.. Not fully sure of it all but have a good enough understanding.

You do not do them nightly as i posted above.Also your box will not update nightly..the nightly builds are image builds only built by Bot automatically they are not nightly builds with something added or updated every night.Your box will tell you when there is a update and also any drivers are implemented into image so if there is a driver update its done through the update feature on box...you install the image once(any nightly build) then it will update within the box if and when there is a update.This can be anything from picons/plugins/drivers etc.

I figured nightly builds were open source, my reference being Cyanogenmod on Android (I think..possibly not now - same process?). I figured someone was working away fixing bugs and what not. Oh well!

I'll get the latest OpenPli Image, and also the latest Vix and see which I prefer

Image is all about personal preferences, when I had a dm800hd and dm800se I only ever used OpenPLi images, when I moved to Vu I initially didn't really like ViX but preferred it over BH, now I'm a ViX convert, for me it contains everything I want and apart from an NTFS addon package so that it can access my USB portable drives and the soft cams I never have to install anything else.

So you've had the same boxes I have? Haha.. Each time I've just wanted a faster box and a bit of a change. I get bored easily with tech. I'm sure I'll probably end up being the same.

Teaf - I've found a newer vix image - file name - openvix-Zeus.009-vusolo2_usb.zip.

I'd assume I shouldn't touch this?

Teaf - I've found a newer vix image - file name - openvix-Zeus.009-vusolo2_usb.zip.

I'd assume I shouldn't touch this?

That's actually the new current image.vix 808 is old and no longer supported...ie it won't have any updates so Zeus is the image to install..at the moment a few users are staying with 808 as Zeus is still new and a bit buggy..today's update v10 being a prime example..causing box to crash when you try to put it in standby and was not happy changing channels either.
So it may be wise to go with 808 for a few weeks then switch to Zeus.

Ahh ok.

Getting a new box might just be pointless. Server is down - quoted as saying "major issue". abit vague though - been down since 6pm apparently! Brilliant.

Back