[DM800SE] Openbox s10 vs Dreambox 800 SE

aky20

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently thinking of changing boxes and wanted to get a better idea of the benefits associated to making this move.

Currently I have a Openbox s10 and it has been fine but want to try and get dolby digital out of the box and have more features like an epg.

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
aky

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of changing boxes and wanted to get a better idea of the benefits associated to making this move.

Currently I have a Openbox s10 and it has been fine but want to try and get dolby digital out of the box and have more features like an epg.

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
aky

I would say a dreambox se clone is the lowest priced best box and it has plenty of support and images plugins etc. It will do all you want and more:)

Its a mismatch buddy, the 800se simply tears the s10 apart, a bit more to it than just plugging and playing but once set up it can be left alone unliess you get the tinkering bug :)

although my s10 has optical out so I was able to get dolby digital 5.1 from it. or are you looking for surround sound from the hdmi? I'm not sure if the 800se supports that.

Depends on the type of person you are, if are the type who just wants to plug it and play then stick to openbox by getting a newer model like F3 but if you like a little bit of a challenge go for the dreambox in the end you will end up with a stb that is optimised to your taste and a large community of enthusiasts for support and pushing what the dreambox can do.

I am sure I would get the tinkering bug, most things I touch get enhanced in one way or another.

Yeah I have tried to get surround sound over HDMI but my av amp just picks the analogue audio and enhances it to 7.1. The optical out on your S10 is interesting as mine seems to lack it. Could we be that it is a couple of years old now.

Any suggestions on places to locate a box? I was thinking xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but if someone has a tried and tested sit that would be good.

Cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone recommend a good place to pick up a a reliable box?

Night and Day difference between the S10 and DM800SE, i have both and my Openbox(s) don't even compare.

Openbox is great for what it costs a no frills basic HD box. Its in a completely different league though if your trying to compare to a dm800se. I would say skip the openbox and go direct to the 800se, unless your happy with basic now and next epg and no plugins etc. Otherwise you'll soon get bored of the openbox and end up buying something else anyway. I have an s10 it hasn't been switched on in months I keep it as a backup box incase one of my e2 boxes dies..

Famous chalk and cheese... No comparison. DM for the tinkerer and guy who wants to modify,change and eventually break. Put back together and start again.
Openbox is functional, basic and does what it says on tin - no frills.

Back