Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

oooh its busy in here ;)

its become really busy in here i see, atleast with the ps3 you get good high def, some of them wmvhd's are awful, you dont notice it until u see the difference with proper blurays

pity im too cheap for a ps3 :(

its become really busy in here i see, atleast with the ps3 you get good high def, some of them wmvhd's are awful, you dont notice it until u see the difference with proper blurays

pity im too cheap for a ps3 :(
i find blu ray incredibly grainy,ive got silent hill on hd dvd and blu ray and its by far better o hddvd

I see the same thing also.

However, the bluray version of Transformers looks better than the HDDVD version. I know with DVD's the transfer isnt doen the same way for each film, perhaps it is the same for Hi-Def movies too.

u havent seen an mkv hd mp4 playing on one then ;)

Neither have you because the neither the PS3 nor 360 support it . :)

What you're seeing is a transcoded picture.

Anyway, back to PleXo's point, HD-WMV is minted IMO.

I wouldn't expect a compressed video file to compete with a genuine blu-Ray movie.

Well, its a double edged sword isnt it? Sony have been able to provide the industry with something they would like - a powerful console with an established brand name that appears to be very hard to crack wide open. It should be printing money for all those involved.

That's the thing though Karym, they didn't give the industry what they wanted. Early software prototypes were previewed by developers and they told Sony it was too troublesome/costly to develop on the technology. Sony were arrogant and pushed ahead with the system and it's now came back to bite them on the arse.

I think the general consensus was that the Cell was too far advanced for current programming techniques, it meant that dev teams had to basically start off from scratch learning an entirely new way of coding.

Great machine, just very complex to write for, but once the dev teams get up to scratch I'm sure we'll all surprised at the quality of the games, superb HD output, massive storage, we're all just waiting for the Devs to mature and blow our socks off :)

Yes, currently I'm not a big fan of PS3 games but simply because I can get the same games for free on my 360, but I reckon the 360 has peaked in terms of development whereas the PS3 is still waiting for someone to make it shine.

It's day will come, but currently the crown belongs to Microsoft.

Why else would I own a PS3? :)

Last edited:
I think there are a couple of top spots in video games right now. First is casual gaming, which makes the most money. The winner there is Nintendo and the Wii.

The second is the hardcore gamers market, which I would say belongs to MS right now also.

But, MS seem to be keener on the casual market right now, hence so many SKU's of the 360.

On the point of developers, I read an article about CAPCOM recently, it discussed the Devil May Cry series. They said they develop on the own tools and just port to either platform.

Where as Square Enix use the SDK's from each company to create a game, likewise for Konami. Both companies are able to develop games in parralell for these consoles.

This argument reminds me of the Saturn/PSX war. Devs then couldnt be arsed developing for the Saturn as it was too tricky to work with, so opted for the PSX to champion.

Back