Online Chemist

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Does any one know how these online chemist work with prescription only medication?

I have to take a tablet call Omeprazole twice a day, the NHS prescription price is £7.40 for 28 tablets approx 26 pence per tablet.
The online websites including Lloyds phamacy initially advertise at 7 pence per tablet, it states that I have to have a prescription for this tablet; when I select the option that I have a prescription the price changes to the NHS prescription price.
If I don't have a prescription I can't buy the tablets, so how can they advertise the price as 7 pence per tablet?

Thanks - My Dad is also on the same tablet but I think I need it more than he does!!!

Prescriptions are a joke in England. Scotland, Ireland and Wales have all scrapped prescription charges and England has just put them up.

I'm unemployed but because my wife works I can't claim any benefits, even though we dip into the overdraft every month.
I need the pills everyday.
Luckily I got my doctor to give me the max on each prescription which is 3 month supply although she took some talking into it as it's only supposed to be 2 months. I have 3 of one pill and one each of another 2, per day. It's costs me £22.20 each time.

Have a look at PPC prepayment permit, this makes it cheaper if you have regular prescriptions

Thanks for your replies.

I can afford the prescription but when you see the tablets you need/want online then you feel that you are being robbed by being overcharged by the NHS.

If you are like me and will need the tablets for the rest of your life then have a word with your doc and get them to give you a 3 month prescription each time, that way it works out much cheaper. Instead of getting 28 tablets for £7.40 you would get 3 months supply for £7.40. Makes it cheaper than season tickets for me.

The price for NHS prescriptions is not £7.40 for 28 tablets, it's £7.40 for however many is on the prescription, be it 28 or 280 tablets.

if you need more and struggle to pay then ask your doctor for more.
i am on omeprazole and they are a good drug as i never have heartburn anymore.
oh and i get them on repaet prescription in scotland for free. ;)

I'm suppose to be on the tablets for 8 weeks but was only given a 2 week supply from the hospital, my GP did not give me a prescription but I have asked for a prescription which he has not agree to yet. It did say on my discharge letter that the omeprazole will continue from the GP.
Since not having the Omeprazole I've been having stomach cramps/spasms on a regular basis, my GP will only prescribe what he thinks is necessary so I may have to see him a number of times before he gives me a "bigger" prescription.

Back