old ps2 mod

woodzy

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey

i have an old ps2 which has been mod chipped but im not sure with which chip it was done with. its an scph-39003. it doesnt play any sort of media at the moment but i heard a while back that there is some sort of combination to get the games to work? ie turn on, reset, then put cd in or something. just wondering if anyone knew anything about it? worth a try before it gets binned..?

Ill bear that in mind m8 if i cant get it working..

most mods have the same booting methods for dvds to play...open draw place in your movie ..then shut your ps/2 down to standby mode ..red light.. hold reset button untill eject light comes on...blue light.. about 2 seconds then your movie will play ...for dvd or cd-rom backups its just put them in and they boot straight away ..on the other hand it may be the laser thats had it ..listen to the laser to see if making any clicking sounds ..its better testing it without the lid on ..and the lid off the rom ...just push out that white plastic disk in the rom lid and pop it on your game ..check for a spin up ..... hope it helps ...m8...

Thanks I'll try that and see what happens

Did you have any luck with that mate? The very first mod chips you had to swap disks using action replay. Could it be one of those? Have you had a look inside it to see what it looks like? The old neo 2.2's were only a 8 wire pic chip

Nah I never used to have to do that so I dont think its one of them. I tried the above - the dvd spins fine and everything looks ok inside no connections broken or anything. It recognises the disc but goes straight to the browser. When you press x to boot the disc from the browser it brings you back to the browser again without booting the disc.

thats what used to happen to my old ps2 it turned out that my neighbour put the chip to sleep and on another ps2 i had the laser needed adjusting.

mods don't stay in sleep mode... as soon as you switch off your ps/2 at the back then back on again.. they are fully awake...:

So it cant be that then. Sorry if I sound newb its the first time ive messed with me ps2. Is there any way i can tell which chip it is?

also m8 do you know what version the ps2 is? what is the model number on it ie SCPH -30003R

yeah take the thing apart : be carefull when taking off the metal plate as the wires could be easly damaged ..

Last edited:
when you undo the top half do it very slowly as the ribbon cable is attatched to it, i broke mine the first time i opened it.

Lol when i opened it ages ago all the ribbon cables were detached cos i pulled too hard. Took AGES to get them all back into place lots of messing about.

@bladesftp its SCPH-39003

I'm gonna take it apart now see whats going on inside lol.

no..m8 there's an easy way of taking it apart
first take all the screws out from under ps/2 :flip ps/2 backover take off lid like a book ..leave the ribbon cable in :Then undo the screws on the controll ports X2:Then undo the screw left corner: its now time to put the lid back on and flip it back over to the under side :Now you can take off the bottom :you will see the power supply take that off Then comes the fan unplug the fan ..take that off too:down to the metal plate :Just take all the screws out and lift it carefully thats it you will see your mod ... and it leaves all the ribbons connected..
SCPH-39003.... is a v7 or v8

Last edited:
Thanks m8, ive always done it with the dvd drive out and then pull the mobo out and everything. Still havent got round to opening the bottom as i cant find my small screwdriver but when i do i'll let you know :) Cheers

Back