Mobile Phones O2 Contract Help!!

mas123

Inactive User
Reaction score
If I told you that I would have to kill you.
Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone could give me some advice.
I got a sim only (1 month contract) deal with O2 back in Jan 2010 (700 Mins / Unlimited Texts / Unlimited Internet)

Now I've used it with a lot of phones over the years (Mostly iPhones), and most recently starting using with an iPhone 5 and noticed my 3G not working. Phoned O2, they're telling me some bullshit that this contact is too old now and that it's not compatible with an iPhone 5!? They're saying I can keep the contract as long as I use another phone apart from the iPhone 5. Otherwise I have to change contracts!?

This is bullshit and probably something to do with the unlimited internet I'm gussing, as back in 2010 they had the truly unlimited internet and they probably want me off this contract.

Anyway, can they do this? Force me to move to another contract? What argument can I use against them?
Any advice appreciated...

Just had a search on the net m8 and it looks like an issue with the phone itself... Search on google m8

If you're able to use DATA on your current price plan then you should be able to use your sim with any device. What you haven't told us is if you're able to get 3G with your previous handset or on any other device? or is it just standard GPRS/WAP connection that you were getting?

Any help appreciated guys!

the contract is for as long as you keep it
you could argue that o2 use 3g so it should work no reason not too
ask them for a replacement sim that is 3g compatible

Cheers for the replies guys:

If you're able to use DATA on your current price plan then you should be able to use your sim with any device. What you haven't told us is if you're able to get 3G with your previous handset or on any other device? or is it just standard GPRS/WAP connection that you were getting?

I was able to use 3G with all previous handsets I had with this sim, from the iPhone 3G all the way up to the iPhone 5 which I have today. The weird thing is, I am actually getting 3G signal on my phone now, but NOT at my workplace, where I did used to get it before.

the contract is for as long as you keep it
you could argue that o2 use 3g so it should work no reason not too
ask them for a replacement sim that is 3g compatible

Good point mate. I'm pissed off tbh as I've been with them for 3 years now and always paid my bill on time with no problems and now they come up with this bullshit. I might just threaten to leave to Tesco network as they have the same sim only deal and use the O2 network anyway!

If you're getting 3G then it's nothing to do with the price plan you're on and this doesn't need to change. The only way to confirm that it's something @ O2 end is at your workplace you're getting 3G on your older handset but once you replace the sim into your Iphone 5 it stops working. As also mentioned it might be worth getting a newer sim.

If you're getting 3G then it's nothing to do with the price plan you're on and this doesn't need to change. The only way to confirm that it's something @ O2 end is at your workplace you're getting 3G on your older handset but once you replace the sim into your Iphone 5 it stops working. As also mentioned it might be worth getting a newer sim.

Hmm that is true mate. I don't have my old phone anymore but I suppose I could test this with another handset.
In regards to the sim its brand new from the O2 shop. I went and got my old one replaced as I needed a Nano Sim for the iPhone 5.

Back