ntl modem and netgear router

Jimbo

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

having some problems trying to set up my wireless network. i have an NTL modem which has the ntl feed in the back. This then connects to my PC via a USB. I have an ethernet network card in the PC and a Netgear wgt624 router.

Should I connect PC via Ethernet to Ethernet port in Router ? I cant access Router with this connection
Or should I connect Ethernet in back of modem to one of the Ethernet ports in Router ? If I do this I can connect to modem, but cant seem to get a connection to the internet - when I tried IPConfig/all IP address has changed to 192.168.1.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is getting quite frustrating now.

Cheers Jimbo

I would use the ethanet connections as they are a lot faster than usb.
You may have to rest your modem by turning the power off for 30secs.

How i have mine configured is for modem....cable in and ethanet connected to the (green) ethanet connection on the router(Mine being a Belkin) then a (Blue) ethanet cable from the first port to the ethsnet connection on the puter.

You may have to re-install the router software as you have your puter configured for use via usb....but disconnect your usb from your puter and do a reset on the router and modem ....turn the modem back on and leave it to finish booting up (you can leave your ethanet connection in to the puter as this will not be effected) then plug in your router and allow this to boot (Wire as above) ....Then go to your router home page(http://192.168.2.1)(This is my home page for my belkin..but yours should be similar with only the last to digits different) and enter your ip address and subnet and save.

See if this helps??

Will give it a go Kintekke, thanks

do you have fixed IP set or automatically assigned

I've got the same setup mate; Netgear WG624 v2 & NThell 250 modem. Think I had to upgrade the firmware on the router to get it working ok. Agree with Kintekke definitely use the ethernet connection. Give us a shout if you've no joy I can have a look see if any settings are different.

The problem am having is that if I connect modem to ethernet connection on router and then ethernet cable from PC to port on router, is that I then cant connect to the router.
But if I swap the connections round to the back of the router, I get no internet but can access the router. I go through the setup wizard and it detects that I have a fixed Ip address. but I dont (should I ?). If I continue and put in the Ip address etc I still cant connect to the internet from the connected PC let alone anything else

just to clarify. 1st ethernet from cable modem to input port (nearest antenna) on router. 2nd ethernet cable from any of the 4 output ports to your pc. You should be able to 'talk' to your router on http://192.168.0.1. If not I'd reboot machine & modem at the same time, if still no good press & hold the reset button - next to the antenna - for 10 secs. If still no good maybe one of the ethernet cables is duff??

Edit: Oh, mine's is set to get my IP dynamically from ISP, think that's the easiest to start with. Can be changed later if needed.

Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion that either my Ethernet netwrk card is duff, or its not compatible with the router. will buy a new one and see if it helps.

Jimbo

try the settings for lan. If you right click on the `E' down to internet properties, left click goto connections left click LAN settings and go through to reset the connections, use automatic for ease, seeif it works.

Thanks Chrisyorks13 for your seggestion, will give it a go later tonight.
As I am away from my home PC at the momment, can you confirm how you reset the connections ?? is it just a case of removing whats in the text box and ensuring that there is a tick in the 'use automatic configuration script' box

Cheers

youll need to ensure that your tcp/ip settings are set to Obtain an ip address automatically

Hi,
If You connected Your NThell :))) modem via USB and ethernet in same time probably it cant work!
have Atlanta shi*entific and there is info in manual that its impossible to use ethernet and USB in paraller
(in fact to use both ports it should act as a router <- more than one port and IP address!)

M.

is your ethernet onboard or an ethernet card,if it`s onboard make sure it`s enabled in the bios.

Thanks guys for allyour help, but the new network card has resolved all problems - it was 7 or 8 years old

Thanks guys for allyour help, but the new network card has resolved all problems - it was 7 or 8 years old

Glad to hear you got it sorted mate.

Back