Noisy clone DM 800 Fan

Hello all good idea porche944 my fan is also noisy but i only got my box last friday what do you think i should moan at the seller or fix it myself it worked fine at first lol.

choice of unscrew 5 bolts and unplug fan from board or hassle the seller over a fan that costs peanuts to replace

the original dm800 had no fan believe it or not

My new box, (only a couple of weeks old), has just developed a noisy fan. Am I right in reading that I can just disconnect the thing and it should be fine? I wont be installing a hard drive into the unit so is the consensus that theres enough room for the heat to dissipate?

My new box, (only a couple of weeks old), has just developed a noisy fan. Am I right in reading that I can just disconnect the thing and it should be fine? I wont be installing a hard drive into the unit so is the consensus that theres enough room for the heat to dissipate?

Should be OK, I would get one of the cheap Poundland USB notebook coolers and use that though to be on the safeside.

Some clones dont even have any fans as standard, the Ferarrri SIM based clones dont have any Heatsink or Fan installed.

Also you could try putting a drop of oil onto the fan bearing, this can stop the noise.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I've followed this tutorial and connected a 4" PC fan to a scart lead, and it only partially works: when I put the DM800 in standby the fan correctly stops but when I turn it on again, it does not start unless I manually give it a "swirl". Then it goes ok (until next stop).
Any ideas?
Thanks!!

Hi guys!
I've followed this tutorial and connected a 4" PC fan to a scart lead, and it only partially works: when I put the DM800 in standby the fan correctly stops but when I turn it on again, it does not start unless I manually give it a "swirl". Then it goes ok (until next stop).
Any ideas?
Thanks!!

this could be due to a voltage issue, if there isnt enough juice to get the fan spinning this could happen. its harder to get the fan started than to keep it going you see, not sure how you'd solve it though

this could be due to a voltage issue, if there isnt enough juice to get the fan spinning this could happen. its harder to get the fan started than to keep it going you see, not sure how you'd solve it though

Hmmm... I'm draining the juice from pin #8 of the scart. Shouldn't it be enough to make the fan go? What am I missing here? :)
Any other places for taking the voltage, in a DM800?

hi was your dm 800 a sunray one ?

I was gonna buy one but it has the option of internal fan or external fan, so wondered whats the difference ?

hi was your dm 800 a sunray one ?

I was gonna buy one but it has the option of internal fan or external fan, so wondered whats the difference ?

Get the 800se instead, internal fan no overheating problems:)

Sent from my x10 using Tapatalk 2

I suppose the answer to insufficient startup current from the scart circuit would be to use a relay switch. More info if required at following http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

I currently have a thermal switch on my TM800, the fan goes on and off even when in standby as the temperature changes in the receiver. The fan is quite loud. The relay option is better as the fan will not turn on in standby provided that power to pin 8 is switched off.

I suppose the answer to insufficient startup current from the scart circuit would be to use a relay switch. More info if required at following http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

I currently have a thermal switch on my TM800, the fan goes on and off even when in standby as the temperature changes in the receiver. The fan is quite loud. The relay option is better as the fan will not turn on in standby provided that power to pin 8 is switched off.

From Wikipedia (SCART):

Pin 8 Status & Aspect Ratio up[c]
0–0.4 V → off
5–8 V → on/16:9
9.5–12 V → on/4:3

Maybe pin 8 actually outputs only 5-8V when the fan needs 12? Would there be any way to force the scart to output 12V?

Also, if using a relay switch, where could I drain the 12V needed, on the DM800? Thanks!!

From Wikipedia (SCART):

Pin 8 Status & Aspect Ratio up[c]
0–0.4 V → off
5–8 V → on/16:9
9.5–12 V → on/4:3

Maybe pin 8 actually outputs only 5-8V when the fan needs 12? Would there be any way to force the scart to output 12V?

Also, if using a relay switch, where could I drain the 12V needed, on the DM800? Thanks!!

Pleeeease! :)

Why don't you just connect it to the 2 pins were the small internal fan on the heatsink connects and do away with that fan and it will turn off when you put the box into stanby as well.

I've thought of that but my internal fan does not turn off when I put the box in standby! :(

If you decide to use the relay, the fan will be powered by existing connection. The "trigger" will be from scart.

Hi guys!
Any ideas?
Thanks!!
Did you do this
Press menu/set up/system/a/v settings,
Change video output to scart,
Scroll down to aspect ratio and change to auto or 16:9,
(Aspect Ratio & status 4:3 = 9.5-12v, 16:9 = 5-8v)
Scroll back to video output and change back to DVI,
Press green button to save,
Exit out x3.

I have attached the picture of the scart pin outs just for perusal

Attachments

• Scart pin set up.jpg
    Scart pin set up.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 5
Back