Noisy clone DM 800 Fan

porche944

Inactive User
Reaction score
Has anyone changed out the fan for a quieter one, with or without a heat sink.

Thanks.

I removed the fan altogether after the bearing got noisy..Managed to restore for a while by oiling the bearing...but only laster a couple of months after that.

Im now using a cheap USB powered netbook/laptop cooler which the box sits on. 1 quid from Poundland..

It's difficult to get an exact replacment fan in higher quality, due to the slim line dimensions of the fan, you can find repalcments from ebay sellers or china suppliers...but they are a rip off i've seen them selling for 10 quid on ebay...same direct relacement low quality fan.

A better solution would be to install a larger better quality ball bearing lower rev fan to the underside of the case lid and wire one of the outputs to pin 8 of the scart so it switches off when the box is on standby.

disconnect fan and use this:

£1 from poundland jobby

A better solution would be to install a larger better quality ball bearing lower rev fan to the underside of the case lid and wire one of the outputs to pin 8 of the scart so it switches off when the box is on standby.

I like the idea of a lager fan on the inside of the lid.

Is there an app to measure the CPU temp?

I was thinking of using a heat sink on the CPU with a fan under the lid?

Would that work?

I like the idea of a lager fan on the inside of the lid.

Is there an app to measure the CPU temp?

I was thinking of using a heat sink on the CPU with a fan under the lid?

Would that work?

Most SIM 2.01 clones already have a heatsink stuck on the CPU. Ferarri SIM based clones dont have a heatsink.

If you have a Ferarri clone, you could stick a heatsink on the CPU with some good quality thermal conductive adhesive, Artic Silver Ceramic or something similar.

A larger fan attached to the lid would be better, lower rev as well for less noise.

have any of you been bored enough to try some heatsink mods?

i would love to get my hands on some heatpipes and solder them into the heatsink. turn the case into a heatsink at the same time,
pretty sure its aluminum.

My internal fan wasn't noisy but the fact it didn't stop when box put on standby annoyed me. Had a go at it last night, looking for a switched 24v supply inside the box to run the fan from. Found a 35v supply from the tuner module but it drew too much power away from the tuner and affected motor control. Fan now removed but concerned about heat issues. I do have one of those netbook coolers but you have to manually unplug from the USB port to shut down and that also annoys me.
So ....... still looking for an effecive solution ..................... :questionmark::questionmark::questionmark:

Does anyone have the systematics of the scart socket?

I like the idea that the fan can be turned off using pin 8 when in standby.

But I would like the fan to run for about 60 secs before turning off just to give everything a chance to cool off.

My internal fan wasn't noisy but the fact it didn't stop when box put on standby annoyed me. Had a go at it last night, looking for a switched 24v supply inside the box to run the fan from. Found a 35v supply from the tuner module but it drew too much power away from the tuner and affected motor control. Fan now removed but concerned about heat issues. I do have one of those netbook coolers but you have to manually unplug from the USB port to shut down and that also annoys me.
So ....... still looking for an effecive solution ..................... :questionmark::questionmark::questionmark:

Try this was posted by Handogin on another thread if your not using the Scart socket for conencting your TV

With the poundland cooler
Cut the usb off the fan.
Find an old scart lead and break it open.
Pin 8 is + and pin 21 is - (pin 21 is on the side of the scart lead)
Connect the + from the fan to pin 8 on the scart and the - from the fan to pin 21 on the scart ( I left about 3" of wire on the scart and soldered it on).
Plug into the back of the dm800 and bingo ...off and on when needed

Try this was posted by Handogin on another thread if your not using the Scart socket for conencting your TV

With the poundland cooler
Cut the usb off the fan.
Find an old scart lead and break it open.
Pin 8 is + and pin 21 is - (pin 21 is on the side of the scart lead)
Connect the + from the fan to pin 8 on the scart and the - from the fan to pin 21 on the scart ( I left about 3" of wire on the scart and soldered it on).
Plug into the back of the dm800 and bingo ...off and on when needed

I did run one of the lines from the fan to pin 8 of the Scart inside the box but the power supply to pin 8 remained active even when my box was put in standby. Would the above not just end up with the same result??

I did run one of the lines from the fan to pin 8 of the Scart inside the box but the power supply to pin 8 remained active even when my box was put in standby. Would the above not just end up with the same result??

Running Positive to Pin 8 should make the fan switch off in standby...

Running Positive to Pin 8 should make the fan switch off in standby...

Had it on wrong pin ....... DOH !!! lol

Re-soldered and cleaned up fluff n dust from fan, all noise gone and fan switched via standby now ...... SORTED :proud:

Had it on wrong pin ....... DOH !!! lol

Re-soldered and cleaned up fluff n dust from fan, all noise gone and fan switched via standby now ...... SORTED :proud:

Cool, the clone manufacturers have implemented a Fan Switch off in standby on the newer Dm800 Pro recievers with Rev M tuners, it's probably a similar fix theyve used.

Still a shame the actual fans they use are poor quality and get knackered and noisy bearings fairly quickly.

Still a shame the actual fans they use are poor quality and get knackered and noisy bearings fairly quickly.

The puff of air the fans produce is pretty poor and the noice they quickly develop is a nuisance. I'd be keen to replace the fan with something better but not one of the external cooling pads as I don't like the look of them. Will peruse fleabay for a larger replacement maybe.

Since I asked the question right at the beginning I thought I should show you what I've done with all the advise.

Pic1 Shows the layout of my DM800. Don't know why the heat sink is not covering all the CPU. Looked at removing and and relocating it correctly but then thought better of it just in case I damaged the CPU or anything hidden.

Pic2 Is a close up of the CPU and heat sink.

Pic3 Found these fans in a 1U PC chassis. They are 40mm x 10mm. Original plan was to use a 60mm x 10mm but these are VERY expensive and next to impossible to source. Make sure that the fans blow air IN to the box.

I thought I had a number of old scart leads hanging round, guess what could not find any. So off to pound land and got one from there.

Pic4, 5, 6 Cut scart cable and located wires 8 and 21. Used a hot glue gun to seal off and join all the other wires together. Soldered the wires from the fan to pins 8 and 21. For insulation used heat shrink and then hot glued the fans to the under side of the lid. Leaving enough space for the tuner and the lug at the far end!

Pic 7 Removed modem (who needs 56k when you have LAN speed?). Removed eSTAT connection. Removed existing fan from CPU as this will interfere with air flow.

Pic8 Put everything together!

It works a treat.

Observations;

1. Using a SINGLE fan to the scart runs faster than both connected.

2. Connecting BOTH fans to original fan connection both run very fast.

Would have preferred to have connected the fans to the internal connection simply for the extra air flow.

I might try it if the DM800 gets too "warm" when idle or in use.

I'm now thinking there must be away to use pin 8 as a switch for the internal connector - may be a relay of some sort?

I'm no electronics whiz, but I'm sure its possible.

Last edited:
Back