no sound through hdmi ?

notanotherone

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
just bought a new samsung lcd i have dvd player that supports hdmi i can get the picture but no sound through it?is there something else i need to do ?

You should be getting audio mate, you only need external audio leads if you have the tv connectied to something like a PC graphics card which has no audio out.

Maybe the DVD player is defaulting to AC3 audio, which the tv doesnt support?

just bought a new samsung lcd i have dvd player that supports hdmi i can get the picture but no sound through it?is there something else i need to do ?
yes connect audio cables from the dvd to a sound sorce ie: 5-1 surround system or straight to the audio input on the tv
cable plugs r coloured red and white

He should be getting audio regardless.

HDMI supports audio, if the TV is HDMI compatible and the DVD player is also then he should have audio without the need of external leads.

I have HD tv and HDMI divx player and no probs when connected with HDMI lead. One thing I will say is that a m8 of mine also has the same setup but he had picture no sound but it was a dodgy HDMI lead, as soon as he changed it they sound was fine.

What make and model are both the tv and dvd??

I have a Samsung DVD player connected to a Panasonic tv and was getting a message on the tv saying HDMI Audio not supported.

I had to change the audio output on the DVD player from bitstream to PCM (Menu, Setup, Audio, Dolby O/P to PCM) and this solved the problem.

I have since changed my setup and now feed the audio directly to an amp which is better as it gives me surround sound rather than the tv speakers.
hope this helps.

Check your video settings m8 i had the same problem and check you have selected the correct setting in the digital sound set up option.

i bought 2 new leads so dont think its that ill check the set up on the tv but it comes up with hdmi 1 and its highlighted so i know its getting signal lol prob something stoopid ive done but ive tried it in all the hdmi ports (ive got 3)?

i bought 2 new leads so dont think its that ill check the set up on the tv but it comes up with hdmi 1 and its highlighted so i know its getting signal lol prob something stoopid ive done but ive tried it in all the hdmi ports (ive got 3)?

Some Tvs need to be set up to receive audio over HDMI , It is not set to default.

whats the model number of the Sammy?

check your manual for the Tv, you may have to enable audio through HDMI. is there an HDMI set up button on your remote if not go into menu and search for HDMI setup?

I have these options on my TV aswell mate, thankfully the HDMI is defaulted to accept audio via HDMI, but it can be changed to any other source, something for the original poster to look into.

I have these options on my TV aswell mate, thankfully the HDMI is defaulted to accept audio via HDMI, but it can be changed to any other source, something for the original poster to look into.

ok guys went home last nite had a good play with both the lcd and the video no matter what i did to the lcd it wouldnt come on had a play with new cables (again lol)got to 21:30 and was into the menu of dvd(philips) and found a sub-menu in the main hdmi menu inside that there was audio settings pressed one and on the sound came saved it and it now works thanks guys for guiding me to an end

... got to 21:30 and was into the menu of dvd(philips) and found a sub-menu in the main hdmi menu inside that there was audio settings pressed one and on the sound came saved it and it now works thanks guys for guiding me to an end

Sure this was mentioned previously in post?

... I had to change the audio output on the DVD player from bitstream to PCM (Menu, Setup, Audio, Dolby O/P to PCM) and this solved the problem.

Back