No Port Available

tamaski

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Folks Im a newbie looking for some advice .I am having trouble using a null modem cable connected to a USB adapter (windows vista) I have tried changing the port several times , also disabled firewall, The Drivers are installed and working fine , but still keep getting error message (No Port Available) Any help would be very much appreciated thanks

the best way is by using a com port i try a usb adapter with a null cable and they are not 100%

hi yeah i had same problem try one of your other usb ports did it for me

Someone asked this question yesterday I think.

One of the answers was similar to the above - USB to serial adapters are not great and can in fact be a complete pain in the arse if the driver for the cable is not up to scratch.

PCI serial cards are fairly cheap, so I would advise getting one of these.

setting to change your com settings

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) -> Prolific USB to Serial Bridge… at this point, take note of the COM number. Use that number when assigning the COM port

W2K-Device-Manager.jpg

in your Device Manager and double click your USB to Serial adapter. Click Port Settings and then Advanced. You should then be able to select the COM port (1, 2, 3, or 4) being careful not to select a COM port already in use on your computer.

if u only have printer and com then change the com one in the drop down box

im having a problem with this to. but ive got a serial port on my pc. it keeps coming up as port not detected. i have been to device manager and it says the serial port is working fine. any ideas guys?

Thanks

im having a problem with this to. but ive got a serial port on my pc. it keeps coming up as port not detected. i have been to device manager and it says the serial port is working fine. any ideas guys?

Thanks
has to be set to 1 or 2 to work , have u checked that

it is set to 1 or 2 mate. any chance it cld be a setting on the box?

I had same problem last time they were scrambled...Are you sure it's def a null modem cable?...Mine wasn't and thats why I was getting this message
cheers
george1319

I'm having similar probs, though it finds the port, the start button stays greyed out for some reason.

I found that my laptop didn't recognise the serial usb lead with Vista - I downgraded back to Xp and all was fine....Try finding a friend with Xp and using their Pc

Back