No picture, jumping sound, hardly any channels found! what more can go wrong?

neilmc1983

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

i'm new to this dbox lark and have lots of problems, i'll try and give as much info as i can and i've attached pics, so i apllogise if it's lengthy.

i got my first ever dbox2 on thursday from eBay which was supposed to be plug and play and i've had nothing but problems!

it's a Nokia 2xi, with sportster pro v1.73 ultra image.

i have it connected to my nthell line in my bedroom (ex-broadband line). when i do a channel scan on sys6887, it only finds maybe around 9, 24, 51 transponders (the amount of transponders differ every scan) of them transponders it usually only finds around 8 to 27 TV channels.

of these, there's only about 8 that are perfect (qvc, paramount comedy2, bid up, and some asian channels) the rest are just black screen with skit'ish sound, occasionally a broken/distorted screen with appear. despite the signal bar on the epg looking healthy?

i have tried my box with the nthell connection downstairs (currently subscrible to nthell tv downstairs), it finds 200+ channels and of them, the only ones that work are the movie and sports channels (the occasional skip/freeze). the rest of the 200+ channels are black picture with skit'ish sound.

the genuine nthell box downstairs is perfect (2 months old samsung box). i have tried this with the connection in my bedroom and it has all the channels and is perfect.

i have opened the main grey nthell box on the ouside of the house, this has a splitter on it, one cable running to the downstairs tv, the other running to my bedroom, it looks like the nthell engineers have botched the wires (see attached pics)

i have aslo opened the little white box on my bedroom wall and it too has a splitter on it. the other cable from this splitter goes to my mum and dads computer in the room next to mine. so there is a total of 3 connections in our house. 1 has just tv, the other has tv and broadband.

i ran a signal test on my dbox, no idea what all the numbers mean but here they are...

BER: 26214
SNR: 53??? - 55??? (this number is constanly changing at a rapid speed)
SIG: 45232 or 45489 (this flicks between the two numbers)

there is a signal graph, the red BER line is perfectly straight, but the blue SNR line is all broken up and the green SIG line is perfectly straight.

i haven't changed the image on the box yet or changed any system files (can't connect it to my pc yet). im still waiting for a cross over cable to arive off eBay.

i have double checked all the cables and connections and they seem fine apart from the cabels outide.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could someone help me. sorry if it's a long post and i've chatted crap. but last week i hadn't even heard of a dbox! so i've had to quickly earn all the technical stuff!

I've attached pics of what it looks like inside the grey box outside, with the dodgey looking cables. and what it looks like inside the white box in my room, and of the signal test.

Hi Mate,
Im pretty new to this dbox malarky myself (about 3 weeks) and just getting the hang of stuff. From what I have heard, the receivers in these boxes are designed for stronger signals than we get here in the UK, so some have problems. The reason you get better results downstairs is probably because there is only one splitter in the way, instead of two upstairs. I have seen some posts talking about boosters, so you might want to search them out.

MB

i ran a signal test on my dbox, no idea what all the numbers mean but here they are...

BER: 26214
SNR: 53??? - 55??? (this number is constanly changing at a rapid speed)
SIG: 45232 or 45489 (this flicks between the two numbers)

The BER seems to be some sort of error rate, and should be as low as possible. Mine is about 1000 at the moment, but doesn't cause too many issues.

SNR is signal/noise ratio, basically how clean your signal is. I think higher is better, mines about 57K.

SIG no idea, but mines 43K.

Two things I have heard that might help are removing the modem card, and removing dust from the circuit board with a soft brush. I haven't done either yet, so can't really advise, but was planning to remove my modem tomorrow and see how that goes. Sounds to me though like you will need to sort the incoming signal level first tho, since it was OK downstairs.
MB

MB

it looks like the nthell engineers have botched the wires (see attached pics)

That not botched, its the CC's good work of wiring the telephone.

take all splitters off

hi
take all the splitters off and try from main cable comming from wall and try comando image looking at the pictures u have got spliter wires may be loose or u may have faulty splitter
khady:proud:

Solved

FIXED IT!

thanks for your reply people!!! (khady)

i took off the splitter in my room and had a direct feed from outside to my dbox, done a scan and found 200+ channels, of which only about 5 don't work, the rest are perfect!

put the splitter back on and all the channels went black with just skit'ish sound.

so it looks like when ever i want to watch tv, mum and dad loose their broadband!

thanks everyone.

:banana: :Clap: :banana:

FIXED IT!

thanks for your reply people!!! (khady)

i took off the splitter in my room and had a direct feed from outside to my dbox, done a scan and found 200+ channels, of which only about 5 don't work, the rest are perfect!

put the splitter back on and all the channels went black with just skit'ish sound.

so it looks like when ever i want to watch tv, mum and dad loose their broadband!

thanks everyone.

:banana: :Clap: :banana:

the splitter may be knackered m8 you can buy one from maplins for under a fiver, this may solve your problem and allow broadband and dbox to be used at same time

the splitter may be knackered m8 you can buy one from maplins for under a fiver, this may solve your problem and allow broadband and dbox to be used at same time

you could try to use the loopthrough from the dbox, not sure if this passes on the broadband though......

Back