No more Freesat cards from Sky

uktvspain.net

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have just received this letter from my Sky agent saying that Freesat cards are no longer available, can anyone shed some light on this, is it true or is it just certain asa registered that cant sell them no more.

If its true then how can you have a Sky box in the Midlands for example, when the default settings on a Sky box would revert to the London area, I know if they have there old card it will still determined the region but for new customers they would not be able to get channel five without a card in there box.

Seems like a bad move from Sky, does any one know anymore than this.

As far as I know, Sky are currently still selling & supplying freesat cards direct? I believe his letter refers to no longer offering the 'freesatfromsky' promotion and no longer allowing that ASA to have a stock of sky cards for that purpose.
Not sure if Sky will completely stop their freesat offer with all outlets, but just looked on dixons and argos and they arent selling it anymore, so it looks like the offer has ended. It was always a money-loss promotion anyway.
However, the issue of just freesat cards is different and doesnt lose money as far as i'm aware. I think that will continue, but it will be ~ direct call to sky, uk address, customer credit card payment.... not so good for you in spain, or for any dealers who stocked.
You're gonna have to get stocks of real freesat receivers instead ;)

Thanks for your, as always informative answer Pinky, not looking good for channels like Itv on 12402, C4 on 12480 and Five on 12422 that you can receive on an 80cm dish here but need a free to view card to open them, and Freesat receivers are great but with channel 4 and Five being on 2D with signals nearly as week as BBC2 here they are a problem.

Glad i aint got a stock of them.

Thanks Mate, speak soon.

does this mean then that the price of 'expired' cards will now rocket in spain then?

The blue ones will be worthless, but any white ones working (expired subs) may gain value. Remember cards used to go for 60~70 quid on ebay, well we could see that again. It could be a nice bit of business. Get in quick before people read this forum and realise :)

ps. you are soooooo gonna wish you upgraded that card that i offered to do for the old geezer. I knew you or him would regret.

Last edited:
Dont know the card number for the old gezzer i have got about 30 old blue cards, no kidding, and its in amoungst them, cant you find that out for me pinky :) ,

also i here there is another freesat/topuptv company comin out (cant remember the name) but there receivers are stinking cheap hd was 129pound i think, and they have viewing cards for them, be interesting to see if they are nds and if they are freely availible I'll see what more i can find out on that.

Keep you posted, ciao.

@Pinky havent ur bro got a spare d+ sub lol

ill swap you a white freesat from sky viewing card for it :proud: lol

Am I right in thinking that Sky is only officially in the UK?

As I have noticed some one selling white sky cards on ebay-brand new starting from 99p but listed as "new white sky card - Holland" (and other countries) he is listing 40 cards at the minute but also states trade enquiries welcome so must be able to get hold of a quite a few (or its possibly a scam).

So I guess my question is will these cards work in my sky digi box?

you can go to this link and get a new card h**ps://mysky.sky.com/replacecard/home

I tried that already but the cards I have are not valid for replacement and they want £20 a card. I need 3 cards and am not prepared to pay £60 for the kids digiboxes in there rooms so I was looking for a cheaper alternative.
The cards on Ebay don't seem to be getting many bids so was hoping to buy 3 tonight for next to nothing (with a bit of luck) but just not 100% sure they'll be ok.

h**p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-White-Sky-Card-HOLLAND_W0QQitemZ280445054672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL?hash=item414bd3eed0

is the link to the card

any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
I just cancelled my Sky sub and have the white card - so what use will the white card with expired sub be then ?

You can use your Old Sky sub card to continue to see channels like Sky3, Fiver, Fiver USA, fox news and various others. Or sell it to me lol :)

Before you used to be able to ring Sky up and they send you a new fta card for £20.

Is this not possible anymore?

You can use your Old Sky sub card to continue to see channels like Sky3, Fiver, Fiver USA, fox news and various others. Or sell it to me lol :)

pm me mate about the card, wont be availbale till end of the month as cancelled just 4b xmas and Sky gives me 30 days before they cancel sub.

As far as we can make out you can still buy a Freesat card from Sky but Agents like the one we use here can not supply them any more, ie if you have a uk address its no problem.

Back