No display and locked out via password

chrome307

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there

I have a dreambox 500c, which does not display any image on the TV and to make matters worse I do not have the login details. I have used the default one and tried different variations but with no luck.

Is this box completely knackered?

I have tried DreamUP ( including older builds ), but I get the message ' please switch on your Dreambox' and ' it appears something else is using 127.0.0.1' .

Any ideas?

I have tried DreamUP ( including older builds ), but I get the message ' please switch on your Dreambox' and ' it appears something else is using 127.0.0.1' .

Any ideas?

You have a serial cable connected and chosen the correct COM Port? If so then simple remove the power from your Dreambox and plug it back in again, Dreamup should start talking to the box.

The network side of things is not essential, but it does make the transfer a million times faster. :)

If using the network, Dreamup will show you a list of available IP addresses, chose the IP for your PC and chose the IP you want to assign to the Dreambox, if this fails for any reason then go into your control panel and set a Static IP address for the PC, restart the network and try again.

The serial cable for dreamup needs to be a null modem cable (pins crossed), not a standard rs232 cable. As Witchsmeller say's you dont need to worry about a network connection if you've got the serial cable connected between the dreambox and your pc/laptop just run dreamup choose the correct com port and make sure "use network is unticked and boot the dreambox. The dreambox should then be found by Dreamup and you're ready to flash the image.
Billb

The serial cable for dreamup needs to be a null modem cable (pins crossed), not a standard rs232 cable. As Witchsmeller say's you dont need to worry about a network connection if you've got the serial cable connected between the dreambox and your pc/laptop just run dreamup choose the correct com port and make sure "use network is unticked and boot the dreambox. The dreambox should then be found by Dreamup and you're ready to flash the image.
Billb

I have a null modem cable which I use to update my Technomate Satellite receiver which allows me to flash it with new firmware/keys etc.

When I use it on my sat receiver, I simply select COM1 ( does also have an option to 'search for available' as well ) and shows me connected. However with the Dreambox I get no such information, just the suggestion to turn on the receiver.

I had tried to FTP via my router but cannot get back in as I do not have the login details, so need as mentioned earlier to set a static ip for this.

However with the Dreambox I get no such information, just the suggestion to turn on the receiver.

At this point you unplug the power and replace it.

Are you saying nothing happens in the DreamUp log screen?

BTW, generic password and username for Dreambox is root / dreambox, but I guess you've already tried those.

Last edited:
OK, I have tried this again and tried to unplug/plug the AC leader when prompted but with no luck.

The DreamUP dialog box doesn't even identify the Box ( bottom left of the screen ) and no information at all.

The worse part is that even if it's plugged into the TV, there's no picture. :(

1) try a different version of dreamup
2) Check the instructions carefully and try again - Dreamup always works and i find works best with a cross-over patch lead too.

OK, I have tried this again and tried to unplug/plug the AC leader when prompted but with no luck.

The DreamUP dialog box doesn't even identify the Box ( bottom left of the screen ) and no information at all.

The worse part is that even if it's plugged into the TV, there's no picture. :(

If you doing it right and nothing is showing then it sounds like the bootloader is dead :( .You will need to jtag the box.

Has the box ever work ?
Did you do anything that made it stop working (ie flash an image or try a gemini image)

@ Manofscience

I have tried various builds of DreamUp but with no success

@ Ellie1998

Not sure if the box has ever worked, as my friend had it lying around for ages unused.

Anyway thanks to all for the suggestions, I think I will give up on this now.

Back