(Newbie) Unable to detect Dbox2 through crossover connection

Krishnak

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys (n gals),

I dont think my PC is reading its connection to my Dbox2 using a crossover. I cant seem to ping the dbox ip noted from the dbox network settings menu from cmd either.

1) Its the right network card/connection the cables plugged into;)
2) I have read some guides and my TCP/IP settings have been set to 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0
3) Ive tried flashing an image to the box using Command center (whereupon no files are to be found when in the dbox submenu 'write one partition')
4) Ive tried the Image assistant tool where it was confirmed to me in the bottom right of the console that pinging the dbox had failed.
5)All other network cards/wireless lans are disconnected from the network connections tab.
6)Windows ftp fails to find ftp://root:dbox2/x.x.x.x/tmp

Annoying to fail at the first hurdle. I.e. jus gettin my damn PC to talk to it!! Bizzarley my other laptops dont even recognise a connection, they stay in a 'network cable unplugged' status.

Oh and the box appears to be working correctly in all other aspects i guess, it is in dbug mode etc.

Do i have to have the (NTL) cable plugged in during the above processes?

Thanks to anyone who reads this for your time,
people like you keep the rest of us sane
:Clap:

Last edited:
Not sure wots stopping u getting a connection from the pc (and laptops) ???

(I'm assuming ur running WinXP)
Open a 'Command Prompt' window, and type ipconfig
It will tell u the address of ur Ethernet adapter (network card) Local Area
Does the address match the range eg 192,168,0,x ?

Make sure u set the dbox to the same range (in network setting),
and reset dbox.

Try and use one of the recommended FTP programs to make a connection.

FTPing straight from windows will probably fail without adding user name & password.

Make sure windows firewall is turned off, and any other firewall is uninstalled (unless u are familiar setting advanced firewall options).

i take it you have read stemcells excellent tut on how to do it via ifa here it is just incase http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42449 i use flash fxp which is also in the downloads and this is how you set your network card up when you are using this method just remember when you doing this you have to check to see what your box ip is?what i mean is if your box ip address is 192.168.0.24 then you have to set your network card thus 192.168.0.23 (1digit below)but of course you dont need to this with ifa

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I first had to use ifa, I was convinced I was using a crossover cable but bought a new one just in case and it worked straight away. I know pcworld are expensive but if you get one from there and it still doesn't work you can at least take it back and geta refund.

Krishnak said:
Hi Guys (n gals),

4) Ive tried the Image assistant tool where it was confirmed to me in the bottom right of the console that pinging the dbox had failed.

That message always shows when using ifa, ignore it. Fergalsworld has given excellent advice on flashing, have a read of some of the threads he has posted.

Have you set the duplex to half rate - don't really know what this means but it can be found under lan connection properties. Like I said, Fergalsworld goes through all of this and has done several times, so have a search. Good luck

Try using Image Flashing Assistant and a Null Modem cable It usually works when all else fails and NTL cable dose not need to be connected
Sinky

Hello krishnak, I hate to ask but...have you checked on the network page of your dbox2 that it has Start network on Boot enabled, coz if not all the crossover cables and ftp programs in the world aint going to help :) Chris.

Hi all,

thanks for the quick help, Ive finally been successful using flash fxp, was able to transfer a services file as well as per the guides. I think i was just thrown by the inability to ping the box

Unfortunately im not getting any channels and am unsuccessful in any bruteforce scans. I think it may be a dead NTL connection as it was some time ago that I had it installed and am now using a second sky box in the respective room albeit with a different satellite cable. Anyway of testing for a live feed...or have i done just that;)?

Oh and just to be sure, all I need is the dbox2 and a live connection right, no cards or ntl phone lines?

@ Krishnak

Connect the cable feed to your TV (yes straight to your tv not via the dbox) and run your install / scan channels wizard on the TV. If you pick up chans 1 - 5 and some basic cable channels on the lower frequencies then you have a live feed. If you pick up no channels (assuming your tv is not knackered) then your feed is dead. If it is dead subscribe to the minumum package* or internet from NTL as once your feed is live again no matter how basic your package all the channels will be streamed to your house and the dbox will pick them up.

*Most people reccommend always subscribing to the minumum package even if you have a free live feed. In simple terms if we are the parasites we want to feed off of our host but we do not want to completely kill it as it would mean death for us too.

--
Regards,

Hi, i had the same problem and convinced that the cross over cable was at fault, but after carefull reading of the IFA docs found the problem

This is what i did to make it work.

*Make sure Dbox is unplugged from mains and not in standby or on at all
*Connect Cross over cable to dbox and PC n/w port
*run IFA
*select the correct image and select cross over cable option
*run the update command (box appears then disappears with a blank screen open in ready state
* plug the dbox in and wait to power up
* Look at the dbox LCD display and"Flashing should appear
* wait until finished (done appears on LCD)
* remove cross over cable and power down the dbox and then power back up.

Hopefully all should be ok

If someone has answered this before then i do apologize, or if not at all helpful

Of course the network setting must be active on the box and the PC to work and you dont need to specify an IP of anykind

Thanks for the help Kavi55 but Ive managed to sort out my transfer problem:)

Learntofly, If I subscribe to the minimum package with NTL, are their any issues with fully disconnecting the given NTL box and using just my dbox2. I.e. I have read some threads which suggest NTL might be able to discover what I am doing through messaging to the dbox2. Also do you know of any penalties associated with disconnecting the phone feed into the box, I know SKY charges if this is done with their box as they require the interactive services to be connected for the duration of your contract with them.

Thanks,

Krishnak said:
Thanks for the help Kavi55 but Ive managed to sort out my transfer problem:)

Learntofly, If I subscribe to the minimum package with NTL, are their any issues with fully disconnecting the given NTL box and using just my dbox2. I.e. I have read some threads which suggest NTL might be able to discover what I am doing through messaging to the dbox2. Also do you know of any penalties associated with disconnecting the phone feed into the box, I know SKY charges if this is done with their box as they require the interactive services to be connected for the duration of your contract with them.

Thanks,
well done on your success as you will see from a few other threads the bit about disconnecting your given NTHell box what a lot of us do is leave it connected and in my case i have run a spliter from the main connection to one of my bedrooms and now my telepest box sitsin there and when my missus wants to watc teleport or something else she can do so without disturbing me and my box

@ Krishnak

I dont think honestly any of us know the answer to your question. In theory yes they could trace your non usage of the original box but are they really interested in it? If they did could they convince a magistrate to issue a search warrant on those grounds. It wouldnt keep me up at night worrying about it mate :proud:

--
Regards

Back