Newbie help please ?

DINGLEBERRY

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK where do I start ? I have a modded 360 which started giving me the 3 red flashing lights of death ? so thats what its called I think after a goggle?

I read I needed to do the towel fix ? but then after 30 Min's of reading this is temp and does not solve the actual problem ?

So I then read the perm fix X clamp few plastic washers etc etc on the CPU and gpu?

So I took my ex box 360 apart it was quite clean inside and I was surprised to see 8 plastic washers on top of the bolts huh its already been done?

More research = so I found the Pennie trick hopefully that will work combined with some new thermal paste and double sided pads for the bottom but Ive had to order some AS5 and double sided thermal tape to stick the pennies on ?

Am I on the right track people should removing the 2 heat sinks a good clean some new paste then some new pennies on bottom put my xbox back on the road for another year ???????????????????

like I say I'm a total newbie to this so if I'm off the mark be nice lol

Hi mate....... yeah your on the right track, all I'd do is actually is take it apart and clean the CPU and the gpu so it's got a mirror finish and then I'd clean the heat sinks, apply some new thermal paste don't need loads, just enough to cover the chips with a thin film, then put a tiny match head amount in the middle of the chips and then put it back together.

when you tighten them, do them opposite corners and (finger tight 1st) then nip them but don't over tighten it or you'll warp the board.

make a note of where the washers are and which side has the plastic one's on 1st before you take apart......

IF this doesn't work then some times they then do the over heating process - lots on goggle about this...removing a fan and allowing it to overheat....whilst keeping the CPU cool....

good luck man....and welcome to the forum.

Hi mate....... yeah your on the right track, all I'd do is actually is take it apart and clean the CPU and the gpu so it's got a mirror finish and then I'd clean the heat sinks, apply some new thermal paste don't need loads, just enough to cover the chips with a thin film, then put a tiny match head amount in the middle of the chips and then put it back together.

when you tighten them, do them opposite corners and (finger tight 1st) then nip them but don't over tighten it or you'll warp the board.

make a note of where the washers are and which side has the plastic one's on 1st before you take apart......

IF this doesn't work then some times they then do the over heating process - lots on goggle about this...removing a fan and allowing it to overheat....whilst keeping the CPU cool....

good luck man....and welcome to the forum.

Cheers just have to wait for the post on tuesday see if my stuff arives thanks

Cheers for the tips dibbers xbox is up and running again

I cleaned the cpu etc swapped the thermal pads on the back of the board for 8 pennies and thought it didnt work

Then I rememberd the over heating part in your post so I done the towel trick and its been running for 4 hours now without a flicker ?

Hopefully its not a short fix because of the towel trick and that the pennies and new artic silver 5 paste has actually done some good suppose I will find out soon enough.

Cheers dibbers :banana:

good work man....if it fails there's always hope, heat gun it!

Back