new windows 64 ?

jaygotgame said:
Tried ghostwall, the only problem with it is that it allows all programs internet access, so i'm now using tiny personal firewall.

I uninstalled nvidia firewall because it conflicts with utorrent, tried re-installing it later and can't...gutted :(
ive been trying both the tiny firewall and the ghost one, thought they were ok at first but ive uninstalled both now, dont like them too much, got the poxy windows firewall back on now, the avast antivirus is fine though, i have the pro version now too :Cheers:

Iam currently now trying Bitdefender 9 profesional plus, seems to be ok for now, it has antispam, firewall and antivirus inclusive, however, when i ran the sygate port stealth test ( http://scan.sygatetech.com/prestealthscan.html )

it says that all the ports were "closed" but they recommend they are "blocked", does this mean anything ???, i ended up switching the windows firewall on too, now i have two firewalls going, lol, but the test says the ports are "blocked" now.

dont think its a good idea to have two firewalls on, eh ??

:Cheers:

p.s
took me a while finding a working key for bitdefender, you need a working key or the autoupdate feature wont work.

thomson said:
Iam currently now trying Bitdefender 9 profesional plus, seems to be ok for now, it has antispam, firewall and antivirus inclusive, however, when i ran the sygate port stealth test ( http://scan.sygatetech.com/prestealthscan.html )

it says that all the ports were "closed" but they recommend they are "blocked", does this mean anything ???, i ended up switching the windows firewall on too, now i have two firewalls going, lol, but the test says the ports are "blocked" now.

dont think its a good idea to have two firewalls on, eh ??

p.s
took me a while finding a working key for bitdefender, you need a working key or the autoupdate feature wont work.

Just to confirm for anyone who wants to know, Bitdefender 9 professional plus works "ok" on windows x64, mines is working fine, it does the whole lot as a package, seems pretty good, only thing i notice with it is that its rather slow when doing a full virus scan, but i can live with that, ive seen slower ones.

So, to sum it up , we have a security package that works fine on windows xp x64 :)

smellymold said:
Try it, its worth giving a go. once i got all the drivers for my hardware sorted, it ran like a dream, booted quicker, everything i loaded loaded quicker, everything seemed to be quicker even the progs that were running in 32bit compatibility mode (yes it does have this) ctl alt del will show u what is running in true 64 or 32bit windows, there is a 4mth free trial download from microsoft all legit so no need to find dodgy keys or shit, thats plenty of time to find if you like it or not.

Try far cry with the 64bit patch, its amazing, i didnt have a game that refused to work, well apart from starforce protected games, but that thing causes shit wherever it appears :) and they now have 64bit drivers or so i have read :)

with the correct drivers everything seemed to work perfect, like i said all the games i tried worked, that included doom3, quake4, rome total war, sniper elite (cracked version) call of duty 2. Im not much of a productivity kind of person i play games n surf, it does all that fast, definately no speed loss in anything, obviously due to the type of site this is its not going to suit some ppl for one reason or another, but as a general operating system definately a thumbs up from me :)

One thing that is definately noticable, the sound, i have a sblive value card and going from 32 to 64bit xp pro, i couldnt beleive how good the 64 bit sounded, really cant explain it, maybe im imagining it but it just seems to sound so much better.

One other thing, i made the transition from 3.11 to 95, im sure theres a lot of ppl here who remember the days, u had no drivers, u had no hardware, u had drivers u had no stability, one day it worked one day it didnt, xp64 works, its fast, it seems secure, there is free for personal use 64bit antivirus and firewalls available, look around u will find them.
If i could compare this to any windows jump 3.whatever to 95 95 to 98 98 to 2000 (ive pretty much used had tried every version even if it was only for a day (windows millenium)) it would be going from windows 95 to 2000 without the bugs and service packs, its ready to use out of the box, you may need to search for a driver or three but it seems most mainstream maufacturers are providing support now, i know abit, asus, ati, nvidia and via are.

I`ll find out the links for the firewall and av good luck have fun.

oh yeah on another thought, where are computers and computing going, not backwards, in 12mnths were not going to using 16bit os, i think the sooner ppl make the jump wether its a linux jump or a windows jump its got to be made, like it or not you will be making the jump to a 64bit os, the more that make it now the better, the more emails and complaints that get sent to lazy ass manufacturers that arnt supporting as they should be the better!

just my smelly thoughts
cheers

ohh mate, your spot on with the far cry 64bit version, its sh*t hot man, i have a very good graphics card too, so i cranked it up to the max and that together with the amd 64 bits makes the game look stunning . last time i seen graphics like that were on arcade machines, iam very impressed :Cheers:

roll on more 64bit games, its the way to go

Back