new windows 64 ?

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
i see from recent adverts that windows 64 has just launched (not longhorn), am i correct in what iam saying ? if so, whats it called exactly ??

:Dunce:

Its called Windows XP Professional 64

To find out more...check out the following:

h**p://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

h**p://www.techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/64-bits/index.x?pg=1

h**p://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22168

Cheers

before you install it check you can get all drivers, and the software you use make sure they work on new version of windows, there's a lot out there that dont so be careful.

Yeah...like napster mention's... there is not much software out there supporting the 64bit architecture.... e.g. try to find a firewall/anti-virus solution... nope...none supported...(though I believe SAV 10 is designed for 64 bit but still got a few bug's in it).

If you planning to get this, get it for test purposes only not as your main solution...

:Cheers:

sounds like too much hassle now :( lol.

will be best to wait for a while look at the problems xp had when first released ;)

Yea, ive been reading a bit about the 64bit version and it looks like its pointless to use it just now as there isnt really any software etc that would run any better using 64.
I guess it would be a good idea to wait for a month or two, only thing is though, ive been sitting with this amd 3400+ chip since last september and iam bursting to get the 64 operating system installed but I dont know if its a good idea if its going to cause problems :(

hi thomo, still at i see (questions question) :)

if u think of all the hours u have spent to get that system of yours as it is now, with all the latest drivers tweeks etc etc. now u r wondering if its worth throwing all that away and going to 64 bit o/s.

it i were u id leave well alone and start saving for your "new" 64bit machine u will buy in 12 months time, cos as others have said any 64bit o/s will be a bag of s**t when it first comes out and will need updates and fixes b4 u can use properly.

happy saving :)

ive got a 64bit machine just now though ?

u do have 64 bit processor BUT u have been around using pc's for long enough to know that MS and h/ware manafacturers just put out teasers for the punters, they started playing around with 64bit o/s many years ago (years behind non-pc computers linux/unix/aix based).
i am willing to bet by the time a USABLE 64bit o/s comes out the minimum spec needed to run it will be basically a p4 4Ghz or equivelent amd and 2g memory cos it will hog resourses like nothing else. the cost initally will put people off and i recon it will be aimed at high end servers.
u can try your machine but as the others have said very little software yet (32bit will work they say) but ALL drivers have to be re-compiled so as Napster said unless u can get 64bit drivers for all your devices its a dead duck.
i recon u will see no or little visable improvement if u swop over.
if u decide to for it for godsake load it on another disk-we dont want u having to reload your current system again :)

and if you already got a 64bit system, just load up the plain old 32bit O/S onto it... trust me..its going to be a lot more better then the 64bit O/S...

And like hatab mention's..u can load up the 64 bit on a seperate hard-disk...this way..u use it as a test machine, not as your main loader.

So we forced into the EU will have Windows XP Professional 64N because those EU prats think they know whats best for us

Ok ive went ahead and got myself a copy of windows xp pro x64, i can get it to install up to the point where it asks for the key code (product key) and ive tried the keys that came with it but none are working after going to all the bother :(:(:( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can someone who has a working key (definetly working) please pm me with it, cheers. a.s.a.p.

thomson said:
Ok ive went ahead and got myself a copy of windows xp pro x64, i can get it to install up to the point where it asks for the key code (product key) and ive tried the keys that came with it but none are working after going to all the bother :(:(:( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can someone who has a working key (definetly working) please pm me with it, cheers. a.s.a.p.

Ok, I have it installed now, I found a key (pm me if you want it).

BUT, once the program is installed its saying that I need to activate it online, so I click to activate it and it asks for the key again and this time it doesnt except the key, plus it says if you do not activate it you wont be able to use windows after 30 days, wtf man :( So iam still stuck

the key your using must allready be activated m8, you could try ringing microsoft and tell them you have just formated. and it wont let you activate on line.

will stick with what i got me thinks .............if it aint broke modify it hehe

will use what i have me thinks after all........if it aint broke mod it!! hehe

thomson said:
Ok, I have it installed now, I found a key (pm me if you want it).

BUT, once the program is installed its saying that I need to activate it online, so I click to activate it and it asks for the key again and this time it doesnt except the key, plus it says if you do not activate it you wont be able to use windows after 30 days, wtf man :( So iam still stuck

Someone was saying to me that this is normal to get this "activate" thing coming up but to be honest ive installed windows xp etc probably about 50 times on different machines etc and never once did i see any "activate" thingy popping up until with this x64 edition.

Anyway, I ended up going back to xp 32bit as the x64 edition instantly annoyed me, apart from the 30 day activate thing, loads of programs i tried to install wouldnt work because they simply werent compatible with windows x64, so I binned it and went back to xp 32bit just like you guys suggested I should do, I should have took you'z advice to start with anyway but me being silly me had to see it with my own eyes, but my advice to other people thinking about it like I done is the same as the other guys, FORGET IT for another few months at least to give companys times to make patches and updates etc to allow stuff to work on the 64bit platform.......Feckin pain in the arse that it is !!!!! :Chainsaw:

I have also tried windows longhorn, which also had similar problems, some problem, Just have to wait till company's release drivers and software which is Xp 64+Longhorn compatable.

chetzy said:
I have also tried windows longhorn, which also had similar problems, some problem, Just have to wait till company's release drivers and software which is Xp 64+Longhorn compatable.

I had'nt heard "longhorn" was out yet ???? infact ive even heard that x64 edition isnt even on release to the public yet and wont be for a while (i got my hands on a copy (x64) for testing for the company obviously, LOL)

Back