new windows 64 ?

yeh, *cough* *cough* i got mines for testin purposes only.

So when do we all think is a good date to wait until windows x64 is going to be good to install ???

when they realease winxp 64 sp2 would be a good time to give it a try :)

am pleased i read this post im just about to build me self a new pc and was going to put an amd 64 bit chip in it and the new windows but will have to have a good think now saying that buy the time i save for it its will probs be old ha ha

cheers guys

LittleJohn said:
am pleased i read this post im just about to build me self a new pc and was going to put an amd 64 bit chip in it and the new windows but will have to have a good think now saying that buy the time i save for it its will probs be old ha ha

cheers guys
You can still buy a 64bit chip mate, its backward compatible with most 32bit apps anyway plus you'll be ready to install windows x64 as soon as you like too.

Ive heard microsoft have changed the name of "windows longhorn" to something else and its due for release next year at some point, is this correct info ive been hearing and does anyone have some good website links that show what this "new" version of windows will do ??
(or in most case's with MS software "wont do", LOL)

microsoft vista! is the new name.
h8tp://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

chetzy said:
microsoft vista! is the new name.
h8tp://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
Cheers for that mate :)

I had a quick read at those wepages, doesnt look like "windows vista" is going to support "64 bit", does it ???

Talking about 64 bit, is it still way too early to even think about installing windows x64 ?? you know with all the hassle with drivers and programs etc not working.

Its a right pain in the tits all this hassle with 64 bit, there must be thousands of people just like myself sitting with a 64 bit cpu and its just going to waste :nopity:

thomson.
i wouldnt bother to install it yet, it to much hassle, when i did, i couldnt get 1/2 of my hardware to work, u need new drivers to work with that o/s . wait a bit, then u will be ok :)

yea thats what I thought too :(
I gave it a try and although I could get some of the hardware working there was some that wouldnt, another thing that really annoyed me was the fact that some programs wouldnt work either, games etc :( So that was it, I wipped it back off and just used ordinary 32bit xp, that was a while back, so thats why iam wondering if it would work any better "now".

Is that right enough, will certain software (games etc) not run on 64 bit ??? So dummy's like me will go to all the hassle of installing windows x64 and then realise they'r favourite game doesnt work ? or is there a work around for this, some kind of patch maybe that would make the game work in 64bit enviroment ?

Anyone know ?

Sooo, ive not posted in here in quite some time.

whats the latest on windows x64 ??

I see my motherboard manufacturer (msi), now has all the 64bit drivers available for all my sh*t (and not beta versions either) :)

The thing that worrys me with windows x64, will people find themselves installing the op system and then suddenly realise that lots of thier favourite programs and games etc just simply wont work on windows x64, is that still the case, yes ???

Or could it be if a person has all the correct 64bit drivers installed for thier hardware then would all the programs and games etc work then or would these games/programs have to have been made specifically to work on both 32 and 64bit op systems ???

As ive asked before also, the big question is, "" is it time to install windows x64 yet" if your just a normal home user like me who only uses the machine to surf the net, download movies and play fifa 06 live online ??? "or is it not worth the bother"

What ya'z think ???

:Cheers:

Last edited:
buggering shites

i just got myself an amd athlon 64 dual core 4400+ and new mobo

after reading this i wonder if i just spent my money on a fancy name.

am i going to be able to use my current windows xp?

and am i going to be able to use the programmes i have installed on xp at the moment.

someone please say before i fix it all up.

sorry for asking questions on your post m8.

explosivo said:
i just got myself an amd athlon 64 dual core 4400+ and new mobo

after reading this i wonder if i just spent my money on a fancy name.

am i going to be able to use my current windows xp?

and am i going to be able to use the programmes i have installed on xp at the moment.

someone please say before i fix it all up.

sorry for asking questions on your post m8.

Dual core is a waste of money, return it now if you havn't unpacked it.
I've got a 3800+X2 and it causes lots of problems, it seams to conflict with itself, some programs (azureus and counter-strike: source) will close itself down and hardware (audigy2 nx) needs a amd patch and still makes strange noises.
Buy the single core for now, atleast until amd release a better driver and microsoft release a program that sets affinity for you so that games and media programs are automaticaly set to core1:Doc:

Ok
Windows 64bit is very very good
Using this and raid0 I could unrar 700mb in 15 seconds(yes that's right)
The general use of windows was also very quick, windows took 15seconds to start from bios on(all programs aswel)

I didn't have to activate my trial version, maybe I have the corporate version.

There is a Vista 64bit beta2 release, it's 2.6gig, looks amazing, very complex but I got rid of it after 20 mins due to poor support.

I uninstalled win64 because there was no support for my MCE remote oand keyboard, azureus kept crashing and real one was not supported but it turned out to be the dual core for azureus.

When it was installed I was playing F.E.A.R and need for speed with no problems at all.

I will deffinatly be reinstalling win64, just wish it had MCE aswel but I guess i'm going to have to wait for Vista to be released in the summer:(

athlon64 3800+ dual core (37deg)
asus a8n-sli deluxe
twin 6600gt's in sli
2gig geil performance
wd4000yr
asus vento case (27deg)
enermax 660w
hauppage 500mce

jaygotgame said:
Ok
Windows 64bit is very very good
Using this and raid0 I could unrar 700mb in 15 seconds(yes that's right)
The general use of windows was also very quick, windows took 15seconds to start from bios on(all programs aswel)

I didn't have to activate my trial version, maybe I have the corporate version.

There is a Vista 64bit beta2 release, it's 2.6gig, looks amazing, very complex but I got rid of it after 20 mins due to poor support.

I uninstalled win64 because there was no support for my MCE remote oand keyboard, azureus kept crashing and real one was not supported but it turned out to be the dual core for azureus.

When it was installed I was playing F.E.A.R and need for speed with no problems at all.

I will deffinatly be reinstalling win64, just wish it had MCE aswel but I guess i'm going to have to wait for Vista to be released in the summer:(

athlon64 3800+ dual core (37deg)
asus a8n-sli deluxe
twin 6600gt's in sli
2gig geil performance
wd4000yr
asus vento case (27deg)
enermax 660w
hauppage 500mce
so is vista the new 64bit version instead of longhorn ?

it sound like your driving a car thats to fast , with no parts and no main agents,
think l will stay with the run of the mill car for a bit .

codename longhorn has been in development for about 3 years thomson

when it's released in the summer it will called Vista, available in 32 and 64bit

win64 is based on win server 2003

vista is based on xp

vista will have all the professional features of winserver(it looks very very complicated) and the looks and functions of MCE

hope that is a little clearer for you

p.s. I may be wrong I often am
p.p.s If anyone is looking to be indespensable at work, learn Vista before it comes out!

jaygotgame said:
codename longhorn has been in development for about 3 years thomson

when it's released in the summer it will called Vista, available in 32 and 64bit

win64 is based on win server 2003

vista is based on xp

vista will have all the professional features of winserver(it looks very very complicated) and the looks and functions of MCE

hope that is a little clearer for you

p.s. I may be wrong I often am
p.p.s If anyone is looking to be indespensable at work, learn Vista before it comes out!
whats mce ?

Back