new ubuntu build wont compile

bob808

Banned
Reaction score
I had to reinstall my linux build this weekend as I had a system failure, so I put the latest ubuntu on the system.

After installing automake, bison, g++ etc and doing a cvs checkout, it lets me run the autogen and configure, but when I try to make flash, it runs for a while, downloads the archive files, and falls over with a glibc error

/home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/build_glibc/csu/version.o.dt -MT /home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/build_glibc/csu/version.o
In file included from version.c:33:
/home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/build_glibc/csu/version-info.h:2: error: missing terminating " character
/home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/build_glibc/csu/version-info.h:3: error: missing terminating " character
version.c:40: error: parse error before string constant
make[3]: *** [/home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/build_glibc/csu/version.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/glibc-2.3.6/csu'
make[2]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/glibc-2.3.6'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/tuxbox-cvs/cdk/build_glibc'
make: *** [.deps/glibc] Error 2

Here is the output of my toolchecker run... I can only think it is down to the gcc/g++

cvs: 1.12.13
autoconf >= 2.57a: 2.61
automake >= 1.8: 1.8.5
libtool >= 1.4.2: 1.5.22
gettext >= 0.12.1: 0.16.1
make >= 3.79: 3.81
makeinfo: 4.8
tar: 1.16
bunzip2: 1.0.3
gunzip: 1.3.9
patch: 2.5.9
infocmp: 5.5.20060422
gcc 2.95 or >= 3.0: 4.1.2
g++ 2.95 or >= 3.0: 4.1.2
flex: 2.5.33
bison: 2.3
pkg-config: 0.21
wget: 1.10.2

Is this something to do with my setup or the versions of any of the installed programs - it was ages ago that I built the machine so can't remember the exact versions I setup with. Any ideas?

check in the synaptic package manager for libpng and install it

I know that is missing from the list forc some reason but not sure it has anything to do with your error.

I sure I had it but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Last edited:
Installed libpng12-0 but am still getting the same error - have not re-downloaded and started from scratch, just tried the make command again, would that make a difference?

ok - this is odd... I managed to get past the error by editing the file version-info.h and adding a " to lines 2 and 3 - I couldnt do this then re-run make, as make deleted the build-glibc folder and re-created, so I had to edit the file after it was created, and before it was accessed in the make process...

So - now I have got past this I need to figure out why it is being created incorrectly in the make process... very odd as the vmware image posted by Ellie works on my xp machine, so it must be in my machine config somehow.....

Anyone got any ideas before I start playing with everything?

found a fix on (elsewhere :) ) posted by nitr8

This is happening because /bin/sh is symlinked to dash the simple solution is to symlink /bin/sh to /bin/bash

sudo ln -sf /bin/bash /bin/sh

And that’s it! You can now enjoy building images on Edgy.

Last edited by a moderator:
is this an update on the 6.06 on the vmware site ?
it's been a while since i looked (new version to play with :) )

Back