Image school part 2 problem

Sicilian

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've started following Orbourne82's image school tutorials.

Step 1 went fine, installed latest ubuntu v7.10. However step 2 was another matter. Prob is i'm unable to install these packages: -

cvs
- autoconf >= 2.57a
- automake >= 1.8
- libtool >= 1.4.2
- gettext >= 0.12.1
- make >= 3.79
- makeinfo (texinfo)
- tar
- bunzip2 (bzip2)
- gunzip (gzip)
- patch
- infocmp (ncurses-bin / ncurses-devel)
- gcc 2.95 or >= 3.0
- g++ 2.95 or >= 3.0
- flex
- bison
- pkg-config
- wget
- libpng2 or libpng3 (DirectFB)
- ftpd (or other ftp server)

Can see them in Synaptic Package Manager.

I then read further and found this unbuntu image posted by ellie with all the relevant files included http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=820511 . Should I re-install ubuntu or am I still able to get v7.10 working?

At the end of this I hope to be able to edit say a Gemini image and mod it with a working info bar, maybe even create my own image.

Any help and avice would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks.

Sic.

Another thing that I just realised is that the ubuntu in Osbournes link on part 1 is v6.06 Dapper Drake.

It's likely that most (if not all) of the packages have been installed already. Certainly bzip, tar, etc. Did you try the toolchecker.sh script?

You shouldn't need to install the older ubuntu.

Good luck

yes run toolcheck script, all failed. I can post the log tonight when I get home.

I use Ellie1998s version that he uploaded, no problems at all.

On the Gemini thing, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you'll be able to include an infobar mod. You would need to modify source files and only the Gemini Project Team have them. You can take a image of the root and modify it in your distro, i.e. allows you to modify /bin, /share, etc., but that's about it.

The infobar mod needs to be included before the image is compiled.

If you were to start from scratch (lesson 3) and create your own image, you could include the infobar mod.

Also I had a few errors when I tried to checkout a fresh cvs yesterday. Some of the .tar.bz files are missing from the tuxbox cvs. I had to google the files and download them manually.

Then when you do a make dreamboximage_root, you need to copy the .tar.bz files to /tuxbox-cvs/cdk/Archive. The /Archive folder doesn't get created until you do the make dreamboximage_root command so you will need to be quick copying the files in.

Last edited:
Right ok, Gemini image cant be modded. I'm still determined to try and complile an image though. Looks like I may have to install Ellies version then.

By all means go ahead and install ellie1998's image, it may be quicker than installing the required packages, but it's certainly not a requirement. I can build images on both my Fedora Core 6 machine, and three different versions of Gentoo.

Also, I can't believe that all the packages showed not installed, but then I don't use Ubuntu, so who knows.

Have fun building.

Hi guys,
I've started following Orbourne82's image school tutorials.
Step 1 went fine, installed latest ubuntu v7.10. However step 2 was another matter. Prob is i'm unable to install these packages: -
cvs
- autoconf >= 2.57a
- automake >= 1.8
- libtool >= 1.4.2
- gettext >= 0.12.1
- make >= 3.79
- makeinfo (texinfo)
- tar
- bunzip2 (bzip2)
- gunzip (gzip)
- patch
- infocmp (ncurses-bin / ncurses-devel)
- gcc 2.95 or >= 3.0
- g++ 2.95 or >= 3.0
- flex
- bison
- pkg-config
- wget
- libpng2 or libpng3 (DirectFB)
- ftpd (or other ftp server)
Can see them in Synaptic Package Manager.
I then read further and found this unbuntu image posted by ellie with all the relevant files included http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=820511 . Should I re-install ubuntu or am I still able to get v7.10 working?
At the end of this I hope to be able to edit say a Gemini image and mod it with a working info bar, maybe even create my own image.
Any help and avice would be greatly apprieciated.
Thanks.
Sic.

if u can see them package manger then u should be able to install them :) remember to hit the apply button, failing that u can always install via terminal with sudo apt-get install "package name"
cant mod gemini but we can certainly get u on ya way to create your own image :) :)

cheers
osborne82

Tbh, being a total noob to linux it prob better I install ellies version. Could always move on to later version at a later stage.

I've just installed a new dual-boot PC with Ubuntu 7.10.

I went through and installed what is listed above and most of the versions were quite a few revisions ahead but I always installed the latest version.

Everything seems to be going ok so far. :)

Back