New to digital satellite - need advice

wriggler

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi im a newbie when it comes to satellites but im old school with digital cable.

I have changed the LNB on my satellite dish to a universal digital one as the old one was analogue. I am in the process of lining it up with hotbird. I want to watch polish tv like polsat etc.

Now i still have no reciever, i was wondering which would be the easiest to setup my dish and later on to watch tv with. I have read a little on dreambox's and technomate recievers. I was thinking of buying a technomate reciever to start off with, but i don't know which one to buy.

I dont know 100% what needs to be done with either of these boxes. I presume you dont need a card to watch pay per view (ppv) with these recievers. Some on Ebay are patched but i've no idea what that means? Unless its something like altering the software. Besides the reciever, sat dish, am i good to go to watch ppv.

Im mainly after Polish channels like polsat, tvp1, tvp2 etc im not sure what encrytion is used but can i use a technomate to watch them?

I can afford the TM-3100D, TM3300 2CA and TM1500CI. Which is best for me? I dont require HD yet.

Do i need to buy a CAM like a diablo cam or can i just emulate one using the technomate?

Thanks in advance.

No cams and cards are needed m8 just patch the receiver and away you go. As for the receiver I would personally go for either a Tecnomate TM-5400 CI+ or TM-3400 CI+.

Hi sakiblateef,

Thanks for the reply, how are they patched? I mean can you use a ethernet cable and ftp to the box or is it serial cable to com port or can it be done another way? Perhaps USB or HDD etc. How is it done on the Tm3400 etc? Thanks.

Also is it possible to decrypt nagra encryption that is used for Polish channels like Polsat, TVP1, etc.

Thanks.

These models dont have ethernet ports so that rules out ftp updating. The usual method for updating is by serial port, but some models do have ability to accept firmware updates by usb memory stick. I'm not sure on these, so maybe someone can confirm if they accept usb updating?

Polsat is currently a hacked package. It clears when working keys are available, which have been regular for a while.

I'm in the same boat as you wriggler.
I'm currently reading as much as i can about sat boxes, a non hd/pvr box would suit me fine in this instance,so i may go for a cheap Technomate when the time comes.
My only stumbling block will be the dish,no amount of tuts will help me to put it up myself.
It's not for the want of trying as i'm not the worlds best diy'er...

if you want easy updating via USB then all of the 52, 53, 5400 models are fine, the only 3000 series with usb is the 3500, the other 3000 series are updated via serial null modem cable only

ukbob, where abouts are you, if youre not confident with DIY or working up a ladder if someones not close to help, someone may be able to recommend an installer in your area m8

if you want easy updating via USB then all of the 52, 53, 5400 models are fine, the only 3000 series with usb is the 3500, the other 3000 series are updated via serial null modem cable only

ukbob, where abouts are you, if youre not confident with DIY or working up a ladder if someones not close to help, someone may be able to recommend an installer in your area m8

I'm in Notts Digidude, 5 rungs of the ladder high is all i've ever achieved (sad but true).
It will be months away yet,as i've much to learn to be self sufficient..
This sat stuff seems a bit more complicated than cable...
Thanks for the reply..

Thanks for the reply.

So let me get this straight.....

1. A technomate reciever (call it a 5400CI+) can be patched using USB from new. No need to set it to debug like some boxes?
2. A technomate can view encrypted channels without buying anything else like a card.
3. A technomate can view Polsat encrypted channels with it being patched.

Is this correct?

Im now wondering, what is needed to open these channels, i dont know what a patch is, is it a emulator? Are patches CAM emulators? So you can add a patch for each CAM? Are the keys auto updating?

What is this dark man patch i've read about?

If i bought this TM 5400CI+, what else do i need to be able to watch Polsat channels??

I will need to align my satellite up, can a technomate help me align to a satellite and tell me important info like, name of satellite and signal strength etc?

Thanks, really grateful for your advice.

Thanks for the reply.

So let me get this straight.....

1. A technomate reciever (call it a 5400CI+) can be patched using USB from new. No need to set it to debug like some boxes?
2. A technomate can view encrypted channels without buying anything else like a card.
3. A technomate can view Polsat encrypted channels with it being patched.

Is this correct?

Im now wondering, what is needed to open these channels, i dont know what a patch is, is it a emulator? Are patches CAM emulators? So you can add a patch for each CAM? Are the keys auto updating?

What is this dark man patch i've read about?

If i bought this TM 5400CI+, what else do i need to be able to watch Polsat channels??

I will need to align my satellite up, can a technomate help me align to a satellite and tell me important info like, name of satellite and signal strength etc?

Thanks, really grateful for your advice.

yes mate the patches are at the top of the page it is auto key updating you can patch your box with a null modem cable or you can also do usb on any of the 5000 models all you must do is download the darkman loader for what ever box you buy or else you can just do it by usb download the software on to your usb key put it in the reciever and go to menu press data transfer and thats that aand also on the menu you have a sat setup page which will help you line your dish it will tell you name of sat signal strentghs etc and you can also get a few different pacakages like tps and some others cant go wrong with the technomate its a good reliable box and also you dont need no cards etc all you need is a usb key or null modem cable

if your used to ftp programs and setting up something like a dbox m8 you might as well jump straight in with a linux reciever as it wont be that different to set up from a dbox/dreambox for cable.
you can get an eagle linux box for 79 quid
pm me if you want the link

Thanks for your replies. Im used to the dbox but i've not heard of an eagle linux box, just dreamboxes. I am a bit cautious in buying a dreambox as there are clones out there and reports that they can be locked out or something via a sat provider. Hence im alittle put off. In what way is the dreambox's better than a technomate.

From what i've read, the technomate reciever seems to be ok for the money and doesn't have these problems. But i am a satellite newbie and im still learning.

So for those reading im currently looking at the TM3500D+ , is this a good enough reciever for what i need? I dont need HD or hard drives etc. Just something to watch sat on.

Back